Gemstone Collection

What a fun thread! There is so much focus on tPF on diamonds…it’s nice to find fellow gemstone lovers! I love all the colors and fun of various stones…I’ll just post a few of my favorites. Blue sapphire wedding set and alexandrite solitaire, and prehnite and mother-of-pearl rings.

Plus, thinking of adding this London blue topaz tennis bracelet (bottom pic) to my collection. I’d been thinking of a DBTY bracelet but also love tennis bracelets as the design goes all the way around. But find diamond tennis styles a bit to blingy for my everyday look (I’m VERY casual) so thought a gemstone tennis bracelet might be better, kwim!?!

View attachment 5209690View attachment 5209691View attachment 5209692
These are stunners! I'm glad that I've created this thread and connect to fellow gemstones lover. I'm ecstatically happy to see everyone's collection and different stones and designs. Yay!

I wanted to try a gem from a cutter direct for the first time so I asked him to do one parti sapphire in a cut that he does predominantly. It's a cute little one in yellow+green. Flown in from down under. Now I've to think what setting I should do on a ring.
View attachment 5240223View attachment 5240224
Finally went to collect my overdue ring :P

Theres a Xmas decor next to the jeweller shop but couldn't get a clear pic with all the backlights.

51E7C560-8FEF-401C-BB28-4A0A96188279.jpegF38D9142-D215-49C3-AC78-83D46C76A0F1.jpeg

Hi, I am considering purchasing these two rings by Faberge, purple sapphire and yellow sapphire, with coloured gems and diamonds on the shoulders. I would very much appreciate the opinion of the purse forum members who have far more knowledge than me. Many thanks.
View attachment 5361539View attachment 5361539

Not sure of what you're asking for, but in terms of rarity, coloured sapphires are less available in non-blue. Of fancy sapphires, yellow and purple are quite common, not so much at these sizes. Fancy sapphires are often heat treated (these look like they have been). Sapphires can be most colours, just not red (coz then they're rubies). The fancy sapphire that would be a find is an apricot-pink called a padparadscha.

These are really pretty examples though and they look lovely worn together you could wear them separately too.

I used to have a ring from the Middle-East that had pretty coloured sapphires. I still have some non-heat-treated pink sapphire earrings.

Reactions: limom
Thanks Papertiger, that’s helpful information. The rings are relatively expensive, the purple is £7,320 and the yellow is £4,320. I was wondering if these are a good investment (brand and stones) or is the money better spent on Van Cleef, which I also enjoy.

Reactions: papertiger
It is a lot of money for these rings, even though they look breathtaking worn together! As papertiger mentioned, please check for specs on the rings, ie if gems are heated, where from, etc. the natural rocks that look like your photo would be an amazing investment but something tells me Faberge’s are not pure natural and untreated. Also, Faberge is a well established house but from what I can see on the web the re-sale value is not so great…I believe their eggs hold value better…Having said that I own an eternity with small rubies by Faberge and it’s a lovely very well made ring, too expensive though and you could get something much better for the price, you pay a lot for the jewels just being “Faberge” ;)

It is a lot of money for these rings, even though they look breathtaking worn together! As papertiger mentioned, please check for specs on the rings, ie if gems are heated, where from, etc. the natural rocks that look like your photo would be an amazing investment but something tells me Faberge’s are not pure natural and untreated. Also, Faberge is a well established house but from what I can see on the web the re-sale value is not so great…I believe their eggs hold value better…Having said that I own an eternity with small rubies by Faberge and it’s a lovely very well made ring, too expensive though and you could get something much better for the price, you pay a lot for the jewels just being “Faberge” ;)
Thanks so much for your reply, it’s very helpful. I have hesitated as I do think the price is high and wonder how much is for the brand. I think you’re right, there are alternatives or I could possibly get something similar made. I shall shop around as I do appreciate the coloured sapphires and they do look stunning together. Thanks so much.

Thanks Papertiger, that’s helpful information. The rings are relatively expensive, the purple is £7,320 and the yellow is £4,320. I was wondering if these are a good investment (brand and stones) or is the money better spent on Van Cleef, which I also enjoy.

Named brands are always going to way higher than materials suggest. If these are natural colour than they are very special for their size. As @Consumer2much said the eggs are more synonymous with the brand.

You could get VCA, but it's actually (for me strangely) the more commercial pieces that hold their value rather than the more interesting and rare pieces.

You could also try to get something like these made (which is what you concluded) but the rings are stunning looking.

Named brands are always going to way higher than materials suggest. If these are natural colour than they are very special for their size. As @Consumer2much said the eggs are more synonymous with the brand.

You could get VCA, but it's actually (for me strangely) the more commercial pieces that hold their value rather than the more interesting and rare pieces.

You could also try to get something like these made (which is what you concluded) but the rings are stunning looking.
Thanks so much. I am torn and will go and take another look tomorrow. I am aware of the eggs but the real value ones date back to the original
brand, not so much the current one, I believe. The current brand
makes some unusual pieces that we don’t see a lot, many people stick to the same high end names and products within those brand names, I just want something different. Thanks for your comments.

I have been advised the sapphires are from Thailand and only the yellow one has been heat treated. The purple is not heat treated, possibly reflected in the price. The SA has also said that the sapphires are rare and exceptional.

• Insightful
buuutttttt... treated gemstones really do loose their value at the moment they are treated (even if it's "common"), which they already do when put into a ring or something else - so I personally wouldn't rely on value, if not bought as a solo stone.;) And even then, you'll never know what the market wants, what buyers ask for (see my last sentences) and so on... So: ig it makes your heart sing, and those rings do look great, buy it. Regarding prices / Resale value:

When in doubt, I tend to look up the following page

it is available in English, so you can compare prices ;). By clicking onto the picture of the stone you'll see if the stone was treated, it'll be indicated including the treatment itself.

Mind, that these prices are quite reasonable, so you could add something to the prices they ask for.

Additional information: my jeweler (who got robbed, can you believe it) told me, that actually colored stones aren't that as requested as diamonds, better said: nearly nobody asks for colored stones any more. Lucky me, I got a great Peridot in desirable size for a spectacular price.

So, I'd keep that in mind, that colored stones might become cheaper in the nearer future due to request.

Last edited:
Reactions: limom and AnushkaD