eBay pet peeves! Post yours!

This happened a bit ago, but I needed to vent since it's been weighing on me.... I highly recommend being wary of items on eBay that have "Authenticity Guarantee". I bought a new LV bag from a seller and the item, while authentic (even I could tell), they came with several defects the seller DID NOT mention! The first is canvas cracking, and the second is a stain in the lining!

I brought this issue up with eBay (with over 5 representatives) they all said manufacturer defects aren't covered under eBay's guarantee when it comes to items that are authenticated by them. The bag was not cheap and they offered a measly $100 refund for repairs. Cracked canvas isn't repairable so that refund isn't going to do anything anyway.

So now I'm stuck with a bag that annoys me every time when I look at it. The seller is ghosting me when I asked them for a semblance of accountability. I also made the foolish decision to pay with my card instead of PayPal so now I'm just waiting for my credit card to review my dispute since they takes months to resolve.

This happened a bit ago, but I needed to vent since it's been weighing on me.... I highly recommend being wary of items on eBay that have "Authenticity Guarantee". I bought a new LV bag from a seller and the item, while authentic (even I could tell), they came with several defects the seller DID NOT mention! The first is canvas cracking, and the second is a stain in the lining!

I brought this issue up with eBay (with over 5 representatives) they all said manufacturer defects aren't covered under eBay's guarantee when it comes to items that are authenticated by them. The bag was not cheap and they offered a measly $100 refund for repairs. Cracked canvas isn't repairable so that refund isn't going to do anything anyway.

So now I'm stuck with a bag that annoys me every time when I look at it. The seller is ghosting me when I asked them for a semblance of accountability. I also made the foolish decision to pay with my card instead of PayPal so now I'm just waiting for my credit card to review my dispute since they takes months to resolve.
So if you had bought a bag that didn't have Authenticity guarantee, you could have claimed not as described and been able to return, but since there is an authenticity guarantee, it doesn't matter that the bag has defects that weren't disclosed? That's just wrong.

So if you had bought a bag that didn't have Authenticity guarantee, you could have claimed not as described and been able to return, but since there is an authenticity guarantee, it doesn't matter that the bag has defects that weren't disclosed? That's just wrong.
I don't know how long ago this happened to you but in the more recent past (last couple of months), even though sales are supposed to be final, bags have been returned to sellers because buyers and the program told the sellers that items weren't properly described and/or pictured.

Ebay's discusssion boards have multiple threads about it.

The program just doesn't work!

Reactions: MAGJES

Nope, apparently manufacturer defects aren't grounds for a not-as-described case for bags in the program, per a customer representative.

One of the representatives through live chat linked me to the returns page:

And quoted: "For Authenticity Guarantee purchases, eBay Money Back Guarantee does not cover returns on the basis that an item is not as described, when the item is considered final sale." as the reason to deny my dispute.

I don't know how long ago this happened to you but in the more recent past (last couple of months), even though sales are supposed to be final, bags have been returned to sellers because buyers and the program told the sellers that items weren't properly described and/or pictured.

Ebay's discusssion boards have multiple threads about it.

The program just doesn't work!

Were those listings eligible for return? The listing I bought was set to no returns so eBay denied it.

It happened last month. When I first reached out by email, they said (almost verbatim to the email): under normal circumstances, manufacturer defects would not be covered, but since this passed their authentication and was not noted, they wanted to 'resolve' it for me. Because it passed the authentication process and the seller has a final sale — "no returns policy on the purchase", they could not force the seller to accept this return.

And then they offered the measly $100. I kept trying to escalate and find a new representative, but was met with the same response.

Another pet peeve: You aren't even able to contact the seller from the listing's page since Authenticity Guarantee blocks you from them. You have take an extra step to evade the block by contacting them from their main store page. Also, negative feedback is removed automatically.

Last edited:
Nope, apparently manufacturer defects aren't grounds for a not-as-described case for bags in the program, per a customer representative.

One of the representatives through live chat linked me to the returns page:

And quoted: "For Authenticity Guarantee purchases, eBay Money Back Guarantee does not cover returns on the basis that an item is not as described, when the item is considered final sale." as the reason to deny my dispute.

Were those listings eligible for return? The listing I bought was set to no returns so eBay denied it.

It happened last month. When I first reached out by email, they said (almost verbatim to the email): under normal circumstances, manufacturer defects would not be covered, but since this passed their authentication and was not noted, they wanted to 'resolve' it for me. Because it passed the authentication process and the seller has a final sale — "no returns policy on the purchase", they could not force the seller to accept this return.

And then they offered the measly $100. I kept trying to escalate and find a new representative, but was met with the same response.

Another pet peeve: You aren't even able to contact the seller from the listing's page since Authenticity Guarantee blocks you from them. You have take an extra step to evade the block by contacting them from their main store page. Also, negative feedback is removed automatically.
Although the sales were supposed to be final, the program accepted the buyers' claims (which goes against the program) and returned items to sellers.

I believe that when the sellers and buyers are vocal enough to fight back, eBay relents but it takes stamina not to be worn down.

In this thread, the OP's item was damaged and others chimed in with similar complaints about damage and returns:

Another recommendation is to go to eBay for business facebook page where they have REAL knowledge (as opposed to the outsourced CS people eBay uses on their site) and they can help. You don't want to post any info publicly but instead, send a private message. Describe the problem and they can help.

It's my understanding that they photograph items received, compare them to the listing and have been returning items to sellers if the pictures vary from the item received by the authentication center.

ETA: Some of the complaints of the buyers are a result mishandling and careless packing and shipping by the authentication to the buyer. Items are received by the authentication center in good condition but shipping without proper padding, received damaged and eBay doesn't like to accept responsibility.

Although the sales were supposed to be final, the program accepted the buyers' claims (which goes against the program) and returned items to sellers.

I believe that when the sellers and buyers are vocal enough to fight back, eBay relents but it takes stamina not to be worn down.

In this thread, the OP's item was damaged and others chimed in with similar complaints about damage and returns:

Another recommendation is to go to eBay for business facebook page where they have REAL knowledge (as opposed to the outsourced CS people eBay uses on their site) and they can help. You don't want to post any info publicly but instead, send a private message. Describe the problem and they can help.

It's my understanding that they photograph items received, compare them to the listing and have been returning items to sellers if the pictures vary from the item received by the authentication center.

ETA: Some of the complaints of the buyers are a result mishandling and careless packing and shipping by the authentication to the buyer. Items are received by the authentication center in good condition but shipping without proper padding, received damaged and eBay doesn't like to accept responsibility.

Thank you for the advice. I'm going to reach out to eBay one more time to get them to side with me. This is definitely a frustrating experience and just further makes me want to stay away from the secondary luxury market.

Reactions: BeenBurned
Thank you for the advice. I'm going to reach out to eBay one more time to get them to side with me. This is definitely a frustrating experience and just further makes me want to stay away from the secondary luxury market.

Just wanted to provide an update to this whole ordeal. Contacted eBay through Facebook. Sent the photos, described the situation per their request. They just repeated the same thing the 5+ representatives through phone, live chat, email before said. $100 refund which they keep stressing "something they usually don't do" (as if stiffing me with a damaged, defective item is something I should be grateful for???) and "it's the best solution available" (as if the other viable solution of returning the damaged bag to the shady seller isn't one???) and that they would pass my story to the relevant department so they can reconsider their policies for the future.

I'm just tired, and just know I'm going to lose WAY more than what eBay is offering as a refund, should I resell it, not to mention the time and effort to list, handle, and ship...

:cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:

ARRRGGGHHH!!!!! That term makes me insane!!!!!!

You arm ain't long enough to 'reach out' hundreds of miles.

'Sent an email', 'contacted by email', 'inquired' .......
Just wanted to reach out and say that we all care about our fellow members here, and would love to hear if you have some helpful advice for OP, thanks!