people who abuse liberal return policies

A former TPF mod and regular and excellent writer Amanda Mull wrote a great piece on returns of online orders. Spoiler: most returned merchandise goes to bulk resellers, or is destroyed.

That's an extraordinary article. (Makes me proud that it was written by a TPFer.) It drives home the environmental horror of all those returns most likely ending up in landfills. Not to forget the vast waste in energy for shuttling all those returns back to retailers, or wherever they're destined to go.

When I was in the shoe store with the guy with the stack of shoe boxes he was returning I wondered where the worn shoes would ultimately end up. They couldn't be resold, not even to a reseller. They probably ended up in a landfill.

At the time there was another shoe store next door that limited returns to five business days after purchase, and no returns for shoes that had been on sale. They were brutally slammed on social media for their return policy, and on google and yelp reviews. They ultimately went out of business after 40+ years as a family-owned shoe store, blaming the Internet.

Thanks for posting the link, Redney. Everyone should read that important article.

I was once in line behind a woman in Target who was returning maybe 50+ items, seriously, all baby stuff, like clothes, a stroller, diaper bag, bottles, etc. I think perhaps she'd had a baby shower and was returning the gifts for the cash.

I've purchased gifts for expectant moms off their Amazon registry, later asked about them--like when I've received a notice from Amazon that the baby monitor has been recalled--and was told they long ago returned the item.

I've also been in stores behind couples returning piles of wedding gifts.

I just gift money now.

A former TPF mod and regular and excellent writer Amanda Mull wrote a great piece on returns of online orders. Spoiler: most returned merchandise goes to bulk resellers, or is destroyed.

+1 with @BigPurseSue. thank you @redney
I wish everyone would read that article and realize how terrible returns are for the economy, the environment, all of it.

Reactions: jennlt and redney
I just hate the hassle of returning, especially having to mail an item back, I don't mind taking something back to a physical store if I shop there regularly. I still try to make my decision prior to buying and just don't buy if I'm unsure. I buy very little clothing or shoes online, just too tricky with sizing, I probably only would if I had the exact item already or had tried it on at least, so already knew my size.

OT, but we just have a very generous cash gift to DHs best friends daughter, one of five. So, we will repeat this gesture a few more times. No thank you note????? I wonder if the couples returning their registry items write thank yous. Maybe thank yous are as passé as registries.

I love the Miss Manners column and the topic of thank you notes comes up frequently. At last check, they are still required. And the long-held timeframes on how long you have to give, say, a wedding gift and how long the recipient has to send a thank you note still hold. That said, I feel like the younger generation just doesn’t do these much anymore. I blame that on parents not teaching their children good manners! My niece just got married earlier this month and we sent a card with a check (couldn’t make the wedding). We’ll see if a thank you note materializes. I’m not holding my breath.

I love the Miss Manners column and the topic of thank you notes comes up frequently. At last check, they are still required. And the long-held timeframes on how long you have to give, say, a wedding gift and how long the recipient has to send a thank you note still hold. That said, I feel like the younger generation just doesn’t do these much anymore. I blame that on parents not teaching their children good manners! My niece just got married earlier this month and we sent a card with a check (couldn’t make the wedding). We’ll see if a thank you note materializes. I’m not holding my breath.

I know OT, but I hope you receive a thank you! :flowers: I agree with your sentiments. The whole point, in my mind, is to thank someone for thinking of you. It doesn't matter what the kind gesture was, the value of the item, or if you actually even if you like it, it's just polite, thoughtful, and considerate to acknowledge the kindness. I just feels disrespectful to not say thank you. Plus, I hate the feeling I get sometimes of sending a gift into what seems a big black hole, never knowing if it's received.

I know OT, but I hope you receive a thank you! :flowers: I agree with your sentiments. The whole point, in my mind, is to thank someone for thinking of you. It doesn't matter what the kind gesture was, the value of the item, or if you actually even if you like it, it's just polite, thoughtful, and considerate to acknowledge the kindness. I just feels disrespectful to not say thank you. Plus, I hate the feeling I get sometimes of sending a gift into what seems a big black hole, never knowing if it's received.

Yes, that big, black hole comment is spot on! If nothing else, I want to know a gift has been received and people are just so bad at this anymore.

It‘s been about three weeks and crickets so far, but they still have time per Miss Manners, so we’ll see what happens.

OK I've read all the posts. I honestly feel bad that I have several brand new clothing items with tags still attached that I've never worn that I want to return to Nordstrom. The purchases all range from a few months to 2 years ago! I know it can be done and acceptable, but who agrees that I shouldn't keep the clothes just because I feel bad? It is a waste of money.

OK I've read all the posts. I honestly feel bad that I have several brand new clothing items with tags still attached that I've never worn that I want to return to Nordstrom. The purchases all range from a few months to 2 years ago! I know it can be done and acceptable, but who agrees that I shouldn't keep the clothes just because I feel bad? It is a waste of money.
Personally, 60 days max for me and Nordstrom. Really much less. I used to shop their big sale to buy things for Christmas and stopped because I felt it was too long to return something that didn't work. I bought Uggs for my GD and worried she'd outgrow them before the season. A month or so later, I returned for next size and, without opening the box, the SA tossed them on the counter. I asked why and she said "well, they're clearly worn." They had not been touched since I bought them, and I was mortified. I told her they were unworn but got an attitude as if I was lying. Haven't really shopped there since.

• Wow
Reactions: 880 and limom
I wouldn't return anything I've had longer than at maximum a month. Try to sell elsewhere, online..whatever. I don't think returning something from 2 years ago is "acceptable"

says "How else is my wife supposed to figure out if they fit her? Anyhow she only wore them a few times."
I’d politely reply, rule of thumb is you’d want to have about *this* much room when you insert your foot like so, regarding your fit question.

regarding your comment, if you can sell that at retail, I’ll not only allow you to return it (since Someone else is willing to buy as is for $$), but I’ll offer you a job on the spot.

Reactions: TC1 and lulilu
I wouldn't return anything I've had longer than at maximum a month. Try to sell elsewhere, online..whatever. I don't think returning something from 2 years ago is "acceptable"
I have a pair of Nikes I haven’t had time to return within 2 weeks, return window is probably longer but at this point I’m fine with wearing it—I don’t love the look but it was a good deal plus I need a pair of shoes to bum around in when walking through urban, dirty streets.

Reactions: TC1

If they're brand new, tags still attached, I don't think that's horrible to return them. The super old stuff will probably go to the Rack I imagine?

I'm definitely guilty of returning a lot of baby registry items this year. :sad: I felt bad about it but it feels worse to keep stuff I'm not going to use... I just didn't know my baby wouldn't like it, wouldn't fit it, I would have no use for it, etc. when I registered for these "registry must haves" that all the influencers tell you about (my own fault for falling for the influencer trap in the first place).