What's your unpopular jewelry opinion?

I would love to see how people are wearing pearls these days
The northern ‘Pearl ladies’ wear their beautiful strands with casual summer dresses and chambray denim. Young girls look great with little fwpearls chokers all layered up. Golden pearls. Tahitians.
Silver large gauge chains with south sea Pearl pendants.
At the higher end, Paspaley do some amazing pendants. Lavalier is an amazing collection.

We are kind of into all this because the industry is here. Also gold nugget jewellery for the boys, single pearls on leather. lol.
Although to be frank Aussie men are not the vainest or the most sophisticated in the world and as a group they don’t wear a lot of jewellery. Old school Aussie men are lucky to be bothered wearing a wedding ring.

0F10B79B-857D-440C-9DE6-B38ADEE7AC57.pngDC7BCC48-4275-43F5-AA2B-4CCFDE1A323E.png52C0A073-ACD6-4406-87FD-D7E36EAFC78C.png0F10B79B-857D-440C-9DE6-B38ADEE7AC57.pngDC7BCC48-4275-43F5-AA2B-4CCFDE1A323E.png52C0A073-ACD6-4406-87FD-D7E36EAFC78C.png

The northern ‘Pearl ladies’ wear their beautiful strands with casual summer dresses and chambray denim. Young girls look great with little fwpearls chokers all layered up. Golden pearls. Tahitians.
Silver large gauge chains with south sea Pearl pendants.
At the higher end, Paspaley do some amazing pendants. Lavalier is an amazing collection.

We are kind of into all this because the industry is here. Also gold nugget jewellery for the boys, single pearls on leather. lol.
Although to be frank Aussie men are not the vainest or the most sophisticated in the world and as a group they don’t wear a lot of jewellery. Old school Aussie men are lucky to be bothered wearing a wedding ring.

View attachment 5287665View attachment 5287666View attachment 5287667View attachment 5287665View attachment 5287666View attachment 5287667

It's a great suggestion but why don't we start a new thread rather than on here, it'll take us OT.

Edgy cultured pearls have been a growing trend for a while with younger/non-pearly people, including guys rocking the trend. Officially, '22 is supposed to be a very good year for pearls however people want wear them, natural, investment SS or cost-effective FWP, even faux.

I sold natural, antique pearl and rc diamond earrings a while ago (too much of a responsibility) and other pearls have been left in the draw for a while (apart from simple pearl studs). I won't buy anymore, but I will look for unusual ways of wearing what I have because I think pearls feel fresh again. We just have to make things work for us.
@blacktigergoose, I’ve also seen people string pearls on leather cords or wires. I had mine set into white gold links. . . With plenty of space apart. one Strand close up and then two strands layered together in an action pic. Not exactly edgy with my turtleneck or outfit, but it can be edgier (when worn as a lariat etc) I will cross post in the pearl thread; apologies for the OT

8E7A0F31-CC24-4EF9-A5E7-4AD82354569A.jpeg C3F1F8A6-4AA2-4E5E-9CA3-51162BAA5E51.jpeg 962CDA60-9A19-42D6-BC60-D9D82ADEBD51.jpeg

Last edited:
I love pearls! I don't find them particularly aging, rather very sophisticated. To me, they are a bit more on the dressy side, but I love wearing pearls to dress up an outfit! They generally have a "fancier" look that is still clean and not overdone.

Anyway, unpopular opinion. I'm sorry VCA fans but I do not get the hype around the Rock Crystal. It just looks like clear glass to me. :eek:I understand, if you know, you know....but, I still know.... and it is a no for me.:P :lol:

I love pearls! I don't find them particularly aging, rather very sophisticated. To me, they are a bit more on the dressy side, but I love wearing pearls to dress up an outfit! They generally have a "fancier" look that is still clean and not overdone.

Anyway, unpopular opinion. I'm sorry VCA fans but I do not get the hype around the Rock Crystal. It just looks like clear glass to me. :eek:I understand, if you know, you know....but, I still know.... and it is a no for me.:P :lol:
Rock Crystal is just clear quartz. CLEAR QUARTZ. It is not rare at all if you ask a gemologist. IDK why people willing to pay the outrageous price for it.

Unpopular opinion is that everyone seems to have the same jewellery as each other

If it’s a choice between two bracelets you can guess which it will be. If it’s the choice between two watches you can guess the brand.

I don’t know if people with more unique or less expensive jewellery are afraid to speak up much because people gush over the Cartier/VCA stacks, or if the forum mostly attracts people who can afford to spend thousands (yes, even just once), on jewellery instead of a house deposit or rent or car payment or vet bill. But the same stuff seems to dominate for sure.

I don’t know if there are many like me who have no income themselves (I’m disabled and autistic), and whose partner only earns as much as I’ve seen on a single wrist.

I

I actually agree with a variation of this. Tennis bracelets are lovely designs but I think they look odd with most day wear and casual outfits (and I usually love casual/fancy outfits like denim and pearls).
I think you’ve got to be the type who is always dressed up to the nines and they tend to be older. Tennis bracelets in the evening look great on everyone though.
I agree as well. Tennis bracelets and necklaces are classics that have become trendy recently, but I don’t like them. In fact, I don’t really like a lot of bling in jewelry, especially large diamonds. My unpopular opinion is that plain metal jewelry is cooler than gemstone jewelry.

Rock Crystal is just clear quartz. CLEAR QUARTZ. It is not rare at all if you ask a gemologist. IDK why people willing to pay the outrageous price for it.

I didn't "get" rock crystal either. Until I saw it in person. I'd been browsing a lesser known designer and had scrolled right by the crystal pieces. I had the same mindset----not paying that for that. I decided to go look at some other pieces in person and they happened to have some of the crystal pieces and I fell for them. Wound up with a ring and two pendants :P And I'm seriously wanting to add another ring :rolleyes:
They aren't VCA but I guess it's the same principle