When does the Christmas season end for you?

When does the Christmas season end for you?

• on the second day of Christmas

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • on New Year's Day

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • on the 6th of January

Votes: 21 45.7%
  • on the 2nd of February = Candlemas

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • on some other day

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • it never starts

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters
26Dec, the day after Christmas Day. Everything gets put away the morning of ASAP.
It's not like I want to rush into the New Year (I'd be happy if Christmas lasted longer, I like it more than New Years actually).

My problem is that if I don't clean up the day after, it most likely will never get done. As, in, I will procrastinate and slack off and then who knows when everything will get put away lol. :P

Once it used to be on the 2nd of February. :smile:

LEAVE YOUR CHRISTMAS DECORATIONS UP UNTIL FEBRUARY, SAYS ENGLISH HERITAGE

To bring cheer to the winter months follow medieval tradition and keep your Christmas decorations up until 2 February​

Sometime on or about January 6. It was always ambiguous when I was a child. Sometimes we took our tree down in January, February, or in one case, June. I found that as an adult, if I want to prolong the Christmas feeling, I'll leave my decorations up until I'm "over it" and feel the need to move on with the new year. This was the case for 2021, and I reached that point just last night :lol:

I do miss my decorations. The thing that does occur to me is that cut holly and ivy might not last till 2nd of February so I wonder if medieval people used to replace them (I know they didn’t have modern style Christmas trees)

I went to Normandy in lateJanuary recently and a lot of the churches had Jesse trees and they all had their decorations still but in some cases the foliage was very dry. I think it’s hard for modern live Christmas trees to last that long indoors.

Last edited:
Reactions: papertiger
I like the idea of 2 Feb but we don't live in Medieval England.

I thought I took everything down 6 Jan, but I noticed a rogue garland still up over a doorway this morning, so I'll use the 2 Feb excuse (recommendation) if anyone says anything :giggle:

Christmas in Russia is 7 Jan because it uses the Julian Calendar.

I had everything down on the 6th Jan. However I seem to still have my grandmothers starched white linen table cloth on my main table coupled with a red Heals runner down the centre. There's a couple of splodges on it now. Nevertheless, I'll keep it on for the weekend - I'm cooking a large turkey crown (a 'just in case' Christmas buy) on Sunday and having my mother over for dinner. Our freezers will have a fair amount of leftovers though. Then next week I'll gather up the table cloths and send them off to be laundered. They were brilliantly done for this Christmas. The Christmas before though they were starched to within an inch of their lives - they were barely able to be hung over the table they were so stiff! I usually get them done at the beginning of the year, then keep them all wrapped up and pristine until December - it's a good habit I've got into and serves me well.
A good quality white Irish linen table cloth will serve anybody well and last for years, just sayin'...:smile:

Reactions: Bagatha Christie
I like the idea of 2 Feb but we don't live in Medieval England.

You do not need to live in Medieval England. :smile:
It was in my own life-time, when my parents always kept the Christmas Tree and the nativity scene below it until the 2nd of February, as did everyboy in our town. :smile:

And in the local church it was the same :smile:

• Thanks
Reactions: papertiger
I kind of like the idea of a later beginning and end to Christmas. I feel like it starts so early these days, it's such a drawn out lead up with Christmas carols playing in the shops in September sometimes (I'm not kidding...mind you that's the earliest I've ever noticed it), but then literally Boxing Day it's abruptly all over. Feels so anti-climactic somehow.

My Mom grew up in Norway, and they wouldn't put up the tree and decorations until the night before Christmas Eve (which is when they/I celebrate), they call it Little Christmas Eve. And then I believe the season ends much later therefore. Every year I tell myself I want to celebrate it that way since I do everything else traditionally Norwegian for Christmas, but the modern North American timeline always sucks me in.

Reactions: JenJBS
My Mom grew up in Norway, and they wouldn't put up the tree and decorations until the night before Christmas Eve (which is when they/I celebrate)

So it was with my parents.

Btw: Here in Germany the presents are given on Chistmas Eve - at about 6 in the evening.
And for one half of Germany these presents are given by Father Christmas (Weihnachtsmann) - for the other half of Germany the presents are given by a mysterious Christ Child (Christkindl).

Whereas pictures of Father Christmas are everywhere, the Christchild is hardly ever shown in any picture, and practically nobody dresses up as a Christ Child - with the exception of the semi-official Nuremberg Christ Child, who opens the Nuremberg Christmas Market.

• Love
Reactions: Farkvam

Here you can see and hear the Nuremberg Christ Child ( das Nürnberger Christkind) :smile:

Thank you for sharing Traminer! My father is from Vienna, so the other half of my Christmas traditions are Austrian, which has similarities of course to the German traditions. He would tell us of how the Christkindl would come to deliver the gifts from his Christmases as a boy in Austria. I lived there for some time as well and just loved the traditions and festivities at Christmastime.

Reactions: Traminer