How has Coronavirus impacted your life and your lifestyle?

Hi!
To help keep from veering off topic or towards politics, here’s a reminder of the topic of the thread:

“Being this is a fashion driven forum, I am curious as to how this has impacted your lifestyle. Are you still buying purses, shoes or any high-end luxury items? How have you prepared and how do you plan to pass the next year of your life?”

There's other threads to discuss variants, deaths, etc... and as always we don't allow politics on tPF :cutesy:

Last edited:
Despite almost everyone in my organization working from home again, they are trying to force my team into doing large in-person events (even though three out of ten fully vaccinated staff members tested positive after the last one). I have been toying with the idea of moving organizations for a couple of months now, but I think this is the nail in the coffin for me.

Do it - do what works best for you and your physical and mental health firms have no loyalty to us and care little for us I learnt that the hard way that next variant could be even worse do all you can to protect yourself

My lifestyle has stopped. Work from home, going out for a walk with hubby, and at this moment, nothing else. Cooking, cleaning, some housework with the help of a housemaid and that is my social life at present with this omicron, which is affecting so many people. There was a "break" before omicron and we started going out again, meeting friends, spending some weekends out, but now...there it is again. I hope and deeply want that all of this is over and we can possibly go back to life again.

We will never go back to life as it was before . I don’t go out at all I’m merely looking forward to things calming now a little and people accepting mask wearing as the norm so I can go out a little safely again until they do I’m staying in

Reactions: LucyMadrid
I posted this in the wrong thread so I’m posting here. I’ll ask the mods to delete my other post.

I’ve adjusted to the isolation really well. In 2020 I retired from teaching at a university so was out before the virus took hold in the US.
Since I’m an artist and used to being alone in the studio, being alone was/is normal for me. What did change was ordering EVERYTHING. I still haven’t been to a grocery store or any other store. I order once a week from Whole Foods, get urgent home stuff from Home Depot, and rely on amazon for everything else. If I can get delivery local (like dog food etc.) I will always use that instead of amazon.
I’ve learned how to put in a faucet, fix toilet inner mechanisms, replace window crank opening gizmos, and anything else that I can get parts for and look at u tube tutorials. I’ve become quite self-sufficient. I even cut my hair. I know I’m in a privileged situation with retirement income and well aware how impossible this has been for most. This is just my situation and it has relieved me as I look towards the future getting older and feeling confident about taking care of myself in my own home. That’s far off, but still.

I posted this in the wrong thread so I’m posting here. I’ll ask the mods to delete my other post.

I’ve adjusted to the isolation really well. In 2020 I retired from teaching at a university so was out before the virus took hold in the US.
Since I’m an artist and used to being alone in the studio, being alone was/is normal for me. What did change was ordering EVERYTHING. I still haven’t been to a grocery store or any other store. I order once a week from Whole Foods, get urgent home stuff from Home Depot, and rely on amazon for everything else. If I can get delivery local (like dog food etc.) I will always use that instead of amazon.
I’ve learned how to put in a faucet, fix toilet inner mechanisms, replace window crank opening gizmos, and anything else that I can get parts for and look at u tube tutorials. I’ve become quite self-sufficient. I even cut my hair. I know I’m in a privileged situation with retirement income and well aware how impossible this has been for most. This is just my situation and it has relieved me as I look towards the future getting older and feeling confident about taking care of myself in my own home. That’s far off, but still.

Your experience mirrors mine in many ways! I have a broken window crank gizmo that even my husband hasn't fixed. You inspired me!

Despite almost everyone in my organization working from home again, they are trying to force my team into doing large in-person events (even though three out of ten fully vaccinated staff members tested positive after the last one). I have been toying with the idea of moving organizations for a couple of months now, but I think this is the nail in the coffin for me.

That is like the firm my brother works for. They had a huge team party near Christmas time and a few people there had covid (they were physically sick and still attended) and then everyone there had to self isolate and get tested. :hrmm:

We are averaging around 40K+ new cases daily. There is talk about extending the return of School holidays due to the number of daily cases, because when school starts again you can bet it's going to spread through all the schools like wildfire! I mean, what can you do when they are predicting and/or projecting that everyone will become infected at one stage or another, it's just when. I don't want to hear this kind of crap!

There is also a supply issue with the RAT (rapid antigen test), you cannot get them anywhere, everyone has sold out and the only places you get a RAT done is in a state run hub. Currently we are being told the RAT will be available on the 24th of this month. That's just a date, no mention on how long to distribute them and get them into Pharmacy's and stores. Stupid leaders shouldn't have made an announcement over a week ago until we actually had the so called "Millions & Millions" of RAT available for everyone. Everyone here just panic bought them.

I've booked my booster for February the 15th, it's Pfizer this time round and just 4 months after my second dose. My first 2 shots were AZ. I seriously pray I don't get horrid side effects like I did with the first shot! :doh:

So. Someone I went to high school with posted several months ago about how she was never going to wear a mask.

Today, she posted that she's had long covid since last August and has been very ill several times since then, but ever since her symptoms have gotten better.

If you play stupid games, then you win stupid prizes, people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right?! In 2020, I first hesitated in buying a desk and used my couch as a 3 in 1 (sleep, chill and work). Lol. I got one of the lap desks instead.

Then in the start of 2021 I caved in and bought a desk like a grownup and did some much needed decluttering to make way for said desk.

Now it's 2022 and my biggest battle is the close proximity of the kitchen.

But I love working from home. My house robe has been replaced by a napping cardi so that I don't look like a complete slob. And I really don't miss the stressful commute, dealing with traffic and racing for the bus

I have moved my home office from my bedroom to another room in the house so it feels separate from sleep and work. I definitely feel nervous trying on my jeans i haven't worn them in 2 years or so! it's always been leggings or sweatpants! I got a height adjustable desk so i can start tackling my sitting belly a bit better while i work!

The commute is the part i don't miss! i do miss going out and about in the city every now and then but i don't miss having to drive to the train station and have to take the train down for work.

From a healthcare professional perspective, we're dead tired.
The surge has become exponential, and while the hospitalization numbers are not as crazy as they were in Winter 2020, we're in crisis/critical staffing (not stated by me, but by the hospital) because now it's the caregivers and nurses getting COVID. So then they're out, and there are skeleton crews busting their butts covering for them. My department was 60% staffed at one point.

The amount of people who have burnt out and quit to retire or go to different fields; or go to positions with either better pay or less heavy responsibilities is sad.
I am fortunately, I guess, to be in a more administrative/leadership field now, and when I do have COVID patients, I am not allowed to go see them in person because no one can cover some of my responsibilities. But I know if this was 5-10 years ago, I would have definitely been on the floor on a regular basis, but I'm not sure if would have been able to mentally cope and handle everything as well as I do now.

I've had 30-50% of my patients die depending on which surge. And I have had some of the saddest phone calls with patients and their family members but I have also had some of the most touching experiences.

We're also getting pretty jaded. I mean, in medicine, we do get desensitized to a certain degree, but I feel for a person of my generation/age; I should not be as jaded as I have become in the past 2 years. I have never forgotten the purpose behind my career and I will do what I'm here to do; but let's just same, it's not the same as it was before.

You sound amazing do you give lessons I could do with learning diy

Reactions: Mariapia
You sound amazing do you give lessons I could do with learning diy

Thank you, elvisfan
You know, it’s really not that hard to fix stuff. What I’m about to say may not apply to you or to younger women, but most women grow up thinking they are not capable of doing certain things. Women grow up with a lack of confidence in general. One way to get rid of that, is to rely on yourself and figure stuff out. Don’t automatically assume things are harder than they are. And don’t defer to a guy automatically. Men have the opposite issue in that they are usually overconfident. They also can end up doing things beyond their capability, which has gotten us all into a lot of trouble….but they also get a lot of things done. They assume they can do it. We assume we can’t.
Again, not saying you are like this at all ( just generalizing) or that Elvis did anything other than make the world better.:heart:

Thank you, elvisfan
You know, it’s really not that hard to fix stuff. What I’m about to say may not apply to you or to younger women, but most women grow up thinking they are not capable of doing certain things. Women grow up with a lack of confidence in general. One way to get rid of that, is to rely on yourself and figure stuff out. Don’t automatically assume things are harder than they are. And don’t defer to a guy automatically. Men have the opposite issue in that they are usually overconfident. They also can end up doing things beyond their capability, which has gotten us all into a lot of trouble….but they also get a lot of things done. They assume they can do it. We assume we can’t.
Again, not saying you are like this at all ( just generalizing) or that Elvis did anything other than make the world better.:heart:

You are so absolutely right I’m guilty of assuming I can’t do anything as that’s what I’ve been told time to start trying thank you !!

From a healthcare professional perspective, we're dead tired.
The surge has become exponential, and while the hospitalization numbers are not as crazy as they were in Winter 2020, we're in crisis/critical staffing (not stated by me, but by the hospital) because now it's the caregivers and nurses getting COVID. So then they're out, and there are skeleton crews busting their butts covering for them. My department was 60% staffed at one point.

The amount of people who have burnt out and quit to retire or go to different fields; or go to positions with either better pay or less heavy responsibilities is sad.
I am fortunately, I guess, to be in a more administrative/leadership field now, and when I do have COVID patients, I am not allowed to go see them in person because no one can cover some of my responsibilities. But I know if this was 5-10 years ago, I would have definitely been on the floor on a regular basis, but I'm not sure if would have been able to mentally cope and handle everything as well as I do now.

I've had 30-50% of my patients die depending on which surge. And I have had some of the saddest phone calls with patients and their family members but I have also had some of the most touching experiences.

We're also getting pretty jaded. I mean, in medicine, we do get desensitized to a certain degree, but I feel for a person of my generation/age; I should not be as jaded as I have become in the past 2 years. I have never forgotten the purpose behind my career and I will do what I'm here to do; but let's just same, it's not the same as it was before.
We are averaging around 40K+ new cases daily. There is talk about extending the return of School holidays due to the number of daily cases, because when school starts again you can bet it's going to spread through all the schools like wildfire! I mean, what can you do when they are predicting and/or projecting that everyone will become infected at one stage or another, it's just when. I don't want to hear this kind of crap!

There is also a supply issue with the RAT (rapid antigen test), you cannot get them anywhere, everyone has sold out and the only places you get a RAT done is in a state run hub. Currently we are being told the RAT will be available on the 24th of this month. That's just a date, no mention on how long to distribute them and get them into Pharmacy's and stores. Stupid leaders shouldn't have made an announcement over a week ago until we actually had the so called "Millions & Millions" of RAT available for everyone. Everyone here just panic bought them.

I've booked my booster for February the 15th, it's Pfizer this time round and just 4 months after my second dose. My first 2 shots were AZ. I seriously pray I don't get horrid side effects like I did with the first shot! :doh:

Think how the skill of the person giving you the injection is hugely important.

1st almost no effects,
2nd everything awful, was really ill for days,
3rd back to 1st pharmacist, completely painless & 2 days later still absolutely fine.
Hopefully
You
Will get someone who has had the proper training.

Good luck!

Reactions: LucyMadrid
So. Someone I went to high school with posted several months ago about how she was never going to wear a mask.

Today, she posted that she's had long covid since last August and has been very ill several times since then, but ever since she started using a nebulizer with hydrogen peroxide, her symptoms have gotten better.

If you play stupid games, then you win stupid prizes, people.
To be clear about this since I can't edit and there are people who actually might believe this quackery:

YOU CAN BASICALLY BURN OUT YOUR LUNGS IF YOU INHALE HYDROGEN PEROXIDE. DO NOT DO IT.

This is the level of idiocy people are believing and engaging in as a result of the anti-science misinformation that they continue to read and promote, largely through social media.