What's your unpopular jewelry opinion?

- It isn't necessary for all or even most jewelry to be fine jewelry. I don't own a single piece of jewelry that I don't take off at the end of the day or before showering/swimming/working out/etc. Plus, I get bored of a daily use piece after a few months only for it to be cast away in a drawer or box for years or forever and I am not concerned about passing anything down to anyone. This makes most fine jewelry kind of a waste of money for me.
- On the other side of the coin, apart from Cartier's JUC line, the conventional fine jewelry brands don't make jewelry that is edgy enough for my style. I have been researching less well known jewelry companies recently and am finding slightly more edgy and cool pieces that are better suited for my style, but goes back to the conundrum I have of only wearing a piece of jewelry for a short period of time before outgrowing it.
- I can't believe that not mixing metals is still a thing.
- Rose gold is the superior gold, for sure.

- It isn't necessary for all or even most jewelry to be fine jewelry. I don't own a single piece of jewelry that I don't take off at the end of the day or before showering/swimming/working out/etc. Plus, I get bored of a daily use piece after a few months only for it to be cast away in a drawer or box for years or forever and I am not concerned about passing anything down to anyone. This makes most fine jewelry kind of a waste of money for me.
- On the other side of the coin, apart from Cartier's JUC line, the conventional fine jewelry brands don't make jewelry that is edgy enough for my style. I have been researching less well known jewelry companies recently and am finding slightly more edgy and cool pieces that are better suited for my style, but goes back to the conundrum I have of only wearing a piece of jewelry for a short period of time before outgrowing it.
- I can't believe that not mixing metals is still a thing.
- Rose gold is the superior gold, for sure.
It was very important to me to wear only fine jewelry. Since COVID, I have bought a few faux pieces that I love. They are all inexpensive, I wouldn’t pay a lot of money for costume jewelry, but I find I reach for them a lot.
My favorite is still fine jewelry, though. :P

Interesting to read on this thread that pearls are ageing. It is common for women in northern Western Australia to wear these large trophy strands of south sea pearls as the industry is based there. Honestly these huge high quality strands look beautiful and flattering on everyone. Mature women look fantastic in them. It is a ‘look’ for sure and for many women up there it becomes a daily look.
i agree that the more dainty strands eg akoya tyoe strands have a more retro appeal though, due to their huge appeal in the 1950s. However the British royals continue to rock their traditional smaller strands which I believe does impact modern taste.

Cartier JUC is unfeminine, I find the whole punk/BDSM aesthetic in high-end jewellery unpleasant - conjures images of tacky elite S&M erotica like Story of O, 50 Shades of Grey etc.

Cartier love bangle + JUC channeling dad's tool box.

Who are some other designers who do punk and dad's tool box high-end jewelry? Asking for a friend who is into that! ;)

Interesting to read on this thread that pearls are ageing. It is common for women in northern Western Australia to wear these large trophy strands of south sea pearls as the industry is based there. Honestly these huge high quality strands look beautiful and flattering on everyone. Mature women look fantastic in them. It is a ‘look’ for sure and for many women up there it becomes a daily look.
i agree that the more dainty strands eg akoya tyoe strands have a more retro appeal though, due to their huge appeal in the 1950s. However the British royals continue to rock their traditional smaller strands which I believe does impact modern taste.

Edgy cultured pearls have been a growing trend for a while with younger/non-pearly people, including guys rocking the trend. Officially, '22 is supposed to be a very good year for pearls however people want wear them, natural, investment SS or cost-effective FWP, even faux.

I sold natural, antique pearl and rc diamond earrings a while ago (too much of a responsibility) and other pearls have been left in the draw for a while (apart from simple pearl studs). I won't buy anymore, but I will look for unusual ways of wearing what I have because I think pearls feel fresh again. We just have to make things work for us.