What's your unpopular jewelry opinion?

Totally unpopular, but man, I just can’t get into it…. Moissanite for engagement rings. It’s even tackier to me to see people (I’ve seen it) pass it off as a diamond and sayings, “oh I don’t know the specs, I’m totally diamond illiterate!”

Not a fan. I would just go with lab diamonds if natural is not the way to go!

Just curious, why would a person choose moissanite over lab diamond? Are they cheaper, or look better, or ... ?

• I mostly own silver and white gold jewelry and it's been that way since I was young.
  • Have recently bought some yellow and rose gold pieces, but don't really wear them. I have YG jewelry I received as gifts but barely wear them.
  • I don't like most luxury jewelry brands like Cartier or Bvlgari.
  • I don't see the point of Smart watches other than for working out or listening to music. I prefer a traditional watch.
  • I always preferred larger watches, because I have a chubby arm no matter what my weight is. Now it's popular. :lol:
  • I have a current obsession of collecting watches versus owning more purses, shoes, or jewelry.

Moissanites are way cheaper and still very beautiful, but of course have no prestige/cachet

I think they are less expensive and some people perhaps like the rainbow-y sparkles some shoots out? I’m not sure.

Just curious, why would a person choose moissanite over lab diamond? Are they cheaper, or look better, or ... ?

I chose moissanite side stones and a lab Alexandrite center stone for my engagement ring. I don't find anything special or romantic about natural diamonds or most natural stones that have been formed over thousands of years or whatever and have no interest in reselling my ring/it retaining monetary value and we are not planning to have spawn to pass down anything sentimental/my family doesn't really have heirlooms like jewelry or china anyway so it was never anything I cared about.

Still traditional enough to want and be given an engagement ring, but wanted it to be unique and something that would be representative of my style and my fiance wanted me to have something I'd actually cherish and enjoy and wear as opposed to whatever the norm/expected ring looked like.

I do like the more rainbowy sparkle as opposed to the clear white brilliance of a diamond, but also similarly chose Alexandrite because I think it's so freaking cool that it appears different colors in different lights. Part of my job as an electrical engineer is lighting design so I geek out over light and color like that! Lab stones were important to me because I like that we could get higher quality appearance with the same chemical makeup as a natural stone for a lot less cost. The stones were set in white gold and in total, cost less than $2k. I feel a lot better wearing that around every day than something 10x that much.

Nothing wrong with preferring diamonds and finding their value, whether monetary or heirloom status, important. Just not for me.

I chose moissanite side stones and a lab Alexandrite center stone for my engagement ring. I don't find anything special or romantic about natural diamonds or most natural stones that have been formed over thousands of years or whatever and have no interest in reselling my ring/it retaining monetary value and we are not planning to have spawn to pass down anything sentimental/my family doesn't really have heirlooms like jewelry or china anyway so it was never anything I cared about.

Still traditional enough to want and be given an engagement ring, but wanted it to be unique and something that would be representative of my style and my fiance wanted me to have something I'd actually cherish and enjoy and wear as opposed to whatever the norm/expected ring looked like.

I do like the more rainbowy sparkle as opposed to the clear white brilliance of a diamond, but also similarly chose Alexandrite because I think it's so freaking cool that it appears different colors in different lights. Part of my job as an electrical engineer is lighting design so I geek out over light and color like that! Lab stones were important to me because I like that we could get higher quality appearance with the same chemical makeup as a natural stone for a lot less cost. The stones were set in white gold and in total, cost less than $2k. I feel a lot better wearing that around every day than something 10x that much.

Nothing wrong with preferring diamonds and finding their value, whether monetary or heirloom status, important. Just not for me.
Oh, I don’t want you to think I was dissing moissanite at all! I have recently discovered it and love it.

Reactions: poizenisxkandee
Oh, I don’t want you to think I was dissing moissanite at all! I have recently discovered it and love it.

All good! I am a fan of it and like to express my enthusiasm for it since it seems a little unpopular on here. We are on a luxury bag forum and many of us have other luxury tastes haha. For some it's jewelry and diamonds, or cars, or travel, or dining experiences, etc.

Might be a little flippant and might be showing my age (early 30s) but saw this on a friend's FB and gave me a chuckle.
IMG_20211228_103706.jpg

I
A long time ago I wrote here that diamond tennis bracelets are aging lol. I have to disagree with that now as I am in love with the look and am currently coveting one.

Hmm. Current stance is that I am not a fan of Chaumet.
I actually agree with a variation of this. Tennis bracelets are lovely designs but I think they look odd with most day wear and casual outfits (and I usually love casual/fancy outfits like denim and pearls).
I think you’ve got to be the type who is always dressed up to the nines and they tend to be older. Tennis bracelets in the evening look great on everyone though.

I don’t like wearing yellow gold & rose gold together, but white gold with either yellow or rose looks awesome.

I have to wear my high-end jewellery regularly (weekly at the very least). Keeping expensive jewellery for “best” makes me feel incredibly guilty about the money I’ve spent on it. I’m very much about getting a good “cost per wear’.

Last edited:
1)Stacking thick (Cartier) bangles looks tacky and gaudy. I don’t like the look of bangles worn on the wrist with a watch either. Looks like a person is trying to hard to show off.

2)I prefer the more soft look of 14 karat gold to yellowish 18 karat gold. I’ve grown tired of rose gold. I still wear my rose gold pieces but not often.

3)Paying $$$$ for diamonds, emeralds, sapphires and rubies makes sense, but not semiprecious stones!

4)The VCA Alhambra collection is becoming the luxury version of kendra scott!

5) chunky blingy wedding sets look tacky to me. The design of the rings gets lost in all of the sparkle.

These are just my unpopular jewelry opinions..please don't take it personally!

I have to wear my high-end jewellery regularly (weekly at the very least). Keeping expensive jewellery for “best” makes me feel incredibly guilty about the money I’ve spent on it. I’m very much about getting a good “cost per wear’.
Totally agree with this! My father was always the kind of person to keep his expensive things for "best" too and I knew at a young age that I didn't want to live like that. Things would go out of style before he got to enjoy them, or they'd just sit away in storage for no reason. All that money spent and for what! So like you said, it's really important to me to get my "cost per wear" out of whatever I buy :angel: