New eBay Fees on Luxury Bags

Oops, I stand corrected. I do see $500+ Dior Wallets without the "Authenticity Guarantee" IF they are listed in the category of wallets. Wallets designated in the "Womens Bags and Handbags" category do have the AG label.
Interesting. Thank you!
I think it also will take longer to get the item to the customer if we have to send it to eBay first. I like to ship items out within 24 hours.

Hi, can you share an update on how the shipping worked out?
Yes, it just arrived at my house, it did not go to ebay authenticate. The seller miss-stated the brand in the brand category selection, and that is apparently why it was not flagged for the program, though the title of the listing spelled the brand properly. It seems like a big loophole, as there are many other options of how a seller could get around the program if they wanted to. I will not spell them out here, but they are easy to come up with.

The answer is, if the bag qualifies for the new authentication guarantee, eBay sends a link to a shipping label. You don't have to use that label but you're supposed to still use that address, which is their auth service facility, if you're mailing independently.
I recently purchased a designer bag to be verified by eBay, question is where is their facility? It seems to be a really roundabout way of doing things (read old school) as I’m sure their process is adding 6-7 additional days to total shipping time. Unless eBay adds 2-3 regional facilities across country, with FedEx Ground as their shipper, every thing takes just much longer by truck. Also am not crazy about several pairs of hands touching and fussing with NWT items which won’t be so fresh by the time they arrive to me.

I recently purchased a designer bag to be verified by eBay, question is where is their facility? It seems to be a really roundabout way of doing things (read old school) as I’m sure their process is adding 6-7 additional days to total shipping time.

You didn't say if it was a bag on the specific designers list that they now authenticate, nor the dollar amount. This process has to fulfill both criteria or else it's not relevant to your purchase.

Yes, it adds time and yes it adds handling...not very attractive to buyers. I'd say it was 10 days from purchase to when my buyer received the bag; this likely varies by the buyer's location as well, not just eBay's facility.

You didn't say if it was a bag on the specific designers list that they now authenticate, nor the dollar amount. This process has to fulfill both criteria or else it's not relevant to your purchase.

Yes, it adds time and yes it adds handling...not very attractive to buyers. I'd say it was 10 days from purchase to when my buyer received the bag; this likely varies by the buyer's location as well, not just eBay's facility.
It’s on the list and was notified that it’s on its way to authentication center but no idea where that might be. It’s been in Vegas for a couple days now so that’s what I’m guessing? Then once done from NV to me in NY by ground will be another 5-6 days.

Now if everything is going to NV for inspection, it’s too time consuming hence why I suggested regional satellite offices to cut down transit time. This was always a weakness with Fashionphile being on the West Coast, but ever since they setup warehouse in NJ a few months ago, my sales to them get recorded next day.

Now if everything is going to NV for inspection, it’s too time consuming hence why I suggested regional satellite offices to cut down transit time.

Yes it is Las Vegas. For a satellite office system to work they'd have to have a well-developed network of authenticators to draw on: do we expect this to be the case? I mean it's theoretically possible, but we know just about nothing about their team or its capacities.

Last edited:
Yes it is Las Vegas. For a satellite office system to work they'd have to have a well-developed network of authenticators to draw on: do we expect this to be the case? I mean it's theoretically possible, but we know just about nothing about their team or its capacities.
THIS!! ^^^

This is interesting, I wasn’t expecting this outcome AT ALL. My purchase came from the Gilt (aka la_via on eBay), a pretty major player in the secondary market, they sell on just about every platform in addition to their own site.

“Our authentication partner received your item from the seller but, unfortunately, it didn’t pass inspection. We assess items covered by Authenticity Guarantee against the highest standards, and reject items for a variety of reasons, including damaged packaging, missing accessories, not matching the seller’s description, or an inability to confirm authenticity.”

Since I never received it myself, can’t tell you exactly why it didn’t pass muster. Tbh I’ve never purchased from them before, never found their prices compelling and their sales were always final with no returns. However, on eBay they now have 30 days return (not sure how recent is the change). Normally I would pay for 3rd party authentication upon receipt to be safe with or without eBay verification.

Last edited:
Sellers no longer use Paypal as basically every seller is now using Ebay's Managed Payment system (or will be using it very soon). Under their Managed Payment system, Ebay immediately deducts their final value fees from sales proceeds and then transfers the money to a seller's bank account a few days later. They've cut out Paypal. (Buyers can still use PayPal to buy items of course.) So, for sellers, sales proceeds are no longer immediately deposited to Paypal and final value fees billed at month end. Ebay increased their fees in various categories to supposedly be slightly under what sellers were previously paying to both Ebay and Paypal combined.

Under E-bay's current Managed Payment system, handbags up to $7,500 are charged final value fees of 12.55% + .30 per item and 2.35% of the amount over $7,500. On September 30th, final value fees on bags up to $2,000 will go up to 15% + .30 per item. For bags over $2,000, it will be 9% + .30 per item. Plus, of course, items over $500 will be eligible for their Authenticity Guarantee so bags will be shipped to Ebay to be checked over and then sent on to the buyer. This service is "free" but, of course, is being paid for with the increase in fees.
You know why eBay has really done this??? .. because they take the YOUR $$$ (money) and put it into a short-term Account, and then make money on the float (since they have it for a few days)!!!!!! Can't even say how much this PISSES me off; it was SO MUCH easier with Paypal such that you could deduct the $$$ almost immediately! Honestly, I'm just kind of done with eBay .. it's constant nit & pick with them and they are always bugging you to become a "business seller"! Can't say that I'm a fan of Poshmark either, so like some of the rest of you, I'm just selling the stuff to Fashionphile (although I've heard that they are not paying very quickly anymore) or one of the other consignment houses .. just can't be bothered with all the BS!

You know why eBay has really done this??? .. because they take the YOUR $$$ (money) and put it into a short-term Account, and then make money on the float (since they have it for a few days)!!!!!! Can't even say how much this PISSES me off; it was SO MUCH easier with Paypal such that you could deduct the $$$ almost immediately! Honestly, I'm just kind of done with eBay .. it's constant nit & pick with them and they are always bugging you to become a "business seller"! Can't say that I'm a fan of Poshmark either, so like some of the rest of you, I'm just selling the stuff to Fashionphile (although I've heard that they are not paying very quickly anymore) or one of the other consignment houses .. just can't be bothered with all the BS!

I know how you feel @CeeJay, I've been with Ebay's managed payments for awhile now and don't like the extra days of waiting when I used to be paid immediately via Paypal. I could also charge my final value fees to my credit card and get points or miles for those (not a lot but at least it was something) and that has now ended since they just deduct final value fees from your sales proceeds. I bet Ebay likes the float and because they don't have to lose a tiny slice of their final value fees when sellers like me charged those fees to a credit card. They get all of their final value fees now.

I know how you feel @CeeJay, I've been with Ebay's managed payments for awhile now and don't like the extra days of waiting when I used to be paid immediately via Paypal. I could also charge my final value fees to my credit card and get points or miles for those (not a lot but at least it was something) and that has now ended since they just deduct final value fees from your sales proceeds. I bet Ebay likes the float and because they don't have to lose a tiny slice of their final value fees when sellers like me charged those fees to a credit card. They get all of their final value fees now.
I think you're confused or not understanding how MP works.

1. Waiting for money to reach your account takes no longer with MP than it did with Paypal. In fact, it's a bit shorter. With PP, when you'd make a transfer to your bank, it was 4 days before it showed in the account. With MP, I find it's 2 or 3 days.

With MP, you have a choice of how often you want them to transfer money. I've chosen daily so when I make a sale, the transfer notification comes the next business day. And 2-3 days later my account shows that the money is there. (In PP, it was 4 days later.)

2. When you have MP, you have a choice of how you want to pay your fees and how you want to pay for shipping. If you want to use a credit card or paypal, you can do that for fees and/or shipping. I've opted to have the fees and shipping label charges taken from pending payments and that way, I don't owe any money at the end of the month.

In fact, a month ago, I had a return request shortly that I accepted. Since the funds were no longer available in my account as they'd been transferred, ebay held on to the money from a subsequent sale in order for the funds to be there for the refund when the returned item came back.

In the meantime, for the sales that I'd made in the interim, I had to use paypal (and the c.c. linked there) to pay for shipping labels. I got the points on that card.

3. Regarding @CeeJay's comment about ebay taking advantage of the float, that's nonsense. As soon as a payment is made, it's in your account. Ebay doesn't put it into a short term account to take advantage of the fraction of a percent interest that is paid nowadays! And for those of us who opt for payouts daily (next day after transaction), there's even less reason why they'd put it into an account.

Reactions: jellyv
I think you're confused or not understanding how MP works.

1. Waiting for money to reach your account takes no longer with MP than it did with Paypal. In fact, it's a bit shorter. With PP, when you'd make a transfer to your bank, it was 4 days before it showed in the account. With MP, I find it's 2 or 3 days.

With MP, you have a choice of how often you want them to transfer money. I've chosen daily so when I make a sale, the transfer notification comes the next business day. And 2-3 days later my account shows that the money is there. (In PP, it was 4 days later.)

2. When you have MP, you have a choice of how you want to pay your fees and how you want to pay for shipping. If you want to use a credit card or paypal, you can do that for fees and/or shipping. I've opted to have the fees and shipping label charges taken from pending payments and that way, I don't owe any money at the end of the month.

With Paypal, the money was in my Paypal account as soon as the buyer completed the transaction then, when I transferred money from Paypal to my bank account, it took about one day (and, no, I never pay the fee for instant transfer). Usually, the transfer occurred overnight. I've found that I'm waiting days with the MP system for payment and, yes, I've opted for daily payments. Now, maybe that's because I am using an account at a smaller bank for these deposits and they are the ones dragging their feet using the maximum number of days allowed by law (?). But, I've done hundreds of transactions on Ebay and with Paypal so I'm pretty familiar with how long it takes me to actually get paid and it was faster (for me) with Paypal. Also, honestly, I consider having the money in my Paypal account just as good as having it in my bank. It's mine at that point to do what I wish with. I use my Paypal account balance to pay for all kinds of things, or send money to people. So, I liked being paid via Paypal; the money was there instantly, no waiting.

As far as #2 is concerned, I didn't know I had a choice about how to pay for shipping. Thanks! At this point, I'm selling very little on Ebay so I probably won't bother changing it back to my credit card.

Last edited: