Share Your Edited Bag Closet Journey......

It's been quite awhile since I've posted in here or posted at all! Life has kept me from Purseforum (I'm a new mom!), but I've missed it here. And this thread, in particular, is one I need.

I have fallen quite off the rails in my attempt to downsize and curate my collection. I am currently at 42 bags, with only two that I can truly see myself getting rid of in the future, and another 10 on my "plan to buy" list, leaving me at a grand total of 50 bags (clutches are included in this count; backpack and travel bags like Longchamp Le Pilage are not included). :shocked: Considering my goal has been to get down to the 25-35 range, this is not good. :frown:

I'm feeling stuck with all this. On one hand, I think 50 bags is too much for me. I definitely can't use 50 bags enough to adequately enjoy them all. I can make efforts to change my bags more often, which I'm trying to do now, but even then new mom life and partially remote work life means that I'm not going out and using my bags all that often to begin with, so trying to change them out more only goes so far. Plus, I'm searching for a fully-remote position, which I desperately want and hope I can land, but also means I'd be using my bags that much less. It is silly to have so many bags but only use each a few times a year. At 50 bags, if I were to use each one equally (which I definitely don't because obviously different bags serve different purposes), I'd essentially be averaging 1 bag a week, and when I put it that way, it sounds ludicrous to me. On the other hand, I really love my bags, and I'm having a hard time getting rid of them. I tried the closet for departing bags, and ended up taking several out of the closet because I'm not ready to let them go. It's not like they're getting more use though. They are bags in colors or prints that I love, and I just am having a hard time letting go. I really do love these bags. (I clearly love too many though!) Part of me feels like maybe I just go with 50 bags and accept that I'm a bag lady. But the other part of me feels like I need to get rid of some - it's too many and kind of stressing me out. I'm just not sure how to reconcile these two parts of me.

Anyway, I know no one can tell me what to do - this is my own journey to go through and issue to figure out. But I thought I'd check in to say hi and also, oops, not doing too well with the editing. :hrmm:

Cecchetti,
Thank you for your kind words. It can be challenging to read another person’s tone in their written words. Being 71 is not a negative in my view. I’m quite proud of my age and what I‘ve been lucky enough to accomplish, even though it may not be interrupted that way. I’m not negative about my life at all….I’m grateful for all I’ve been blessed with, but material things are are less important to me than they once were. We’re all on our own journeys in life…..
Have to go out this morning and have a migraine

I’ll reply later

Lots of love

C
Be thankful you are 71 and have what you do.
My mother has dementia and is rapidly deteriorating-her birthday is next Monday and we have a restaurant booked for Sunday…I’ve bought presents and a card but I don’t want to go-I don’t think she’s going to make Xmas and I can’t face a restaurant .

I, too, had a ranch house. It was fairly small, but bigger than my current condo. Your design aesthetic sounds a lot like mine!:hugs:
I do plan to take some photos once I’ve got things in order. I have two bedrooms, with three small closets between them. Also a small hall closet. I have Closets By Design doing them. It’s a two month building delay. I’m trying to be patient because I can’t speed things up, so there’s not much choice! I requested a lot of shelving and adequate hanging space but skipped all the fancy things like glass doored cabinets. At my age, I know that my living circumstances are dependent upon my health and luck, so I wasn’t prepared to spend a ton….besides, I doubt I’ll have enough space for any displays like I used to enjoy setting up. I’m moving slowly, because mistakes are expensive.

Here‘s a wall in my dining area….I couldn’t bring my (large) table. Some of my art is too large for this space and some simply wont work with what I’m trying to do. I’ll keep playing around until it feels right to me. Im still not sure about the style of dining table I want, but I’m not in any hurry.

View attachment 5221592
LOVE this installation! I am a big believer in taking time to allow a new place to “speak” to you what it wants to be. It takes a while to know how you use a new home and its various rooms and interconnections. I think you’re very smart with your approach to the closets too - you can always add stuff later.

It's been quite awhile since I've posted in here or posted at all! Life has kept me from Purseforum (I'm a new mom!), but I've missed it here. And this thread, in particular, is one I need.

I have fallen quite off the rails in my attempt to downsize and curate my collection. I am currently at 42 bags, with only two that I can truly see myself getting rid of in the future, and another 10 on my "plan to buy" list, leaving me at a grand total of 50 bags (clutches are included in this count; backpack and travel bags like Longchamp Le Pilage are not included). :shocked: Considering my goal has been to get down to the 25-35 range, this is not good. :frown:

I'm feeling stuck with all this. On one hand, I think 50 bags is too much for me. I definitely can't use 50 bags enough to adequately enjoy them all. I can make efforts to change my bags more often, which I'm trying to do now, but even then new mom life and partially remote work life means that I'm not going out and using my bags all that often to begin with, so trying to change them out more only goes so far. Plus, I'm searching for a fully-remote position, which I desperately want and hope I can land, but also means I'd be using my bags that much less. It is silly to have so many bags but only use each a few times a year. At 50 bags, if I were to use each one equally (which I definitely don't because obviously different bags serve different purposes), I'd essentially be averaging 1 bag a week, and when I put it that way, it sounds ludicrous to me. On the other hand, I really love my bags, and I'm having a hard time getting rid of them. I tried the closet for departing bags, and ended up taking several out of the closet because I'm not ready to let them go. It's not like they're getting more use though. They are bags in colors or prints that I love, and I just am having a hard time letting go. I really do love these bags. (I clearly love too many though!) Part of me feels like maybe I just go with 50 bags and accept that I'm a bag lady. But the other part of me feels like I need to get rid of some - it's too many and kind of stressing me out. I'm just not sure how to reconcile these two parts of me.

Anyway, I know no one can tell me what to do - this is my own journey to go through and issue to figure out. But I thought I'd check in to say hi and also, oops, not doing too well with the editing. :hrmm:
Just keep them , even if you have 100 bags!

I can’t part with any of mine, keep yours, enjoy them when you use them!xxx

Reactions: dramaprincess713

This helped me figure out where I could let go: take all of your bags out, arrange them by color/size all together (you’ll probably need a large floor area for this!). Photograph from different angles. (Photos really tell us different info than ”live” viewing.)

Maybe you’ll see a lot of duplication of colors/functions. If you’re bags are stressing you out that’s telling you something important.

Good luck!

Just keep them , even if you have 100 bags!

I can’t part with any of mine, keep yours, enjoy them when you use them!xxx
It is so hard to part with them, isn't it?! I'm this way with everything though, not just bags. I also place a ton of sentimental value in things which makes it even harder to purge. I'd love to keep all, but it is kind of stressing me out to have so many bags so I think I need to find some sort of compromise...I'm just not sure how to get there!

This helped me figure out where I could let go: take all of your bags out, arrange them by color/size all together (you’ll probably need a large floor area for this!). Photograph from different angles. (Photos really tell us different info than ”live” viewing.)

Maybe you’ll see a lot of duplication of colors/functions. If you’re bags are stressing you out that’s telling you something important.

Good luck!
That's actually a great idea! Also quite daunting, lol. But we plan to move in a few months, so that will probably be a great time for this sort of project.

The Display Factor: this may not help but, in my previous home, I had a closet that was small but allowed for some display….so I could at least enjoy ‘visiting’ many of my unused bags when I was dressing. I think the display factor helped me see my bags as parts of my daily life, and I miss it. The closets here are much smaller (and won’t be outfitted for another month or two) so I think I’ll be storing my bags in the trunk for awhile….or indefinitely.

I’m grateful for TPF…..without a place to share all this, where would we be!? Floundering alone? On the other hand, TPF has also enabled my bag eccentricity!

I, too, had a ranch house. It was fairly small, but bigger than my current condo. Your design aesthetic sounds a lot like mine!:hugs:
I do plan to take some photos once I’ve got things in order. I have two bedrooms, with three small closets between them. Also a small hall closet. I have Closets By Design doing them. It’s a two month building delay. I’m trying to be patient because I can’t speed things up, so there’s not much choice! I requested a lot of shelving and adequate hanging space but skipped all the fancy things like glass doored cabinets. At my age, I know that my living circumstances are dependent upon my health and luck, so I wasn’t prepared to spend a ton….besides, I doubt I’ll have enough space for any displays like I used to enjoy setting up. I’m moving slowly, because mistakes are expensive.

Here‘s a wall in my dining area….I couldn’t bring my (large) table. Some of my art is too large for this space and some simply wont work with what I’m trying to do. I’ll keep playing around until it feels right to me. Im still not sure about the style of dining table I want, but I’m not in any hurry.

View attachment 5221592
Oh my, those chairs are everything! Just stunning.
I hope you love your new place. You seem a very patient and calm person which hopefully made moving less stressful. Sadly, I think contractors are backed up everywhere with jobs waiting to be done.

I don’t know if I missed seeing you post about your fall, or if you didn’t talk about it here at the time. That’s difficult to go through, I’m sorry. At 64 I’m not far behind you and good health is something to think about. I wanted to work till full retirement age at 66 1/2 so I’ll have 100% social security in addition to pension, but there is so much I still want to do. I don’t want to waste two years of good health sitting behind a desk, but seeing the world is what I want to do, and it’s not the right time now to do that. So I guess I just cool my jets behind my desk for now.

Look forward to seeing more of your new place as you get it put together.

Congratulations on your new baby!
You certainly don’t have to decide right away about downsizing your bags. You have a lot on your plate right now and maybe carrying baby as well as what you need in a bag will inform your future bag choices and make it easier.
Oh my gosh the stuff I used to carry around every day just in case one of my kids needed it. So funny, I kind of do and I kind of don’t miss those days.

The Display Factor: this may not help but, in my previous home, I had a closet that was small but allowed for some display….so I could at least enjoy ‘visiting’ many of my unused bags when I was dressing. I think the display factor helped me see my bags as parts of my daily life, and I miss it. The closets here are much smaller (and won’t be outfitted for another month or two) so I think I’ll be storing my bags in the trunk for awhile….or indefinitely.

I’m grateful for TPF…..without a place to share all this, where would we be!? Floundering alone? On the other hand, TPF has also enabled my bag eccentricity!
I currently have no display factor, but I wonder if it would help with all this. My current space has basically no storage space other than the very small closets in each bedroom (one of the many reasons we want to move!), and it leaves very little room to play around with ideas for display. Currently my bags are kind of all over the place…many on top shelf of my closet or in the bookshelf I shoved in my closet also some hanging off doors, chairs, etc. Besides space, I think my other challenge with display is that I’m scared to store my bags outside of their dust bag. I’m scared doing so will damage them. I don’t know why. I know plenty of people do it with no issue, but I just can’t seem to do it. But maybe if I actually had a way to nicely display them, I could get over that. Hopefully wherever we move into will allow me to figure out some sort of display. I do love how nice other people’s displays look!

Oh, I would definitely be floundering alone without TPF. If I tried to talk about this to people in “real life” (quotes because this IS real life, but I think you all know what I mean), they would either be annoyed or think I’m nuts. Yes, TPF definitely enables my bag eccentricity too, but it’s nice to discuss with others who “get it.”

Congratulations on your new baby!
You certainly don’t have to decide right away about downsizing your bags. You have a lot on your plate right now and maybe carrying baby as well as what you need in a bag will inform your future bag choices and make it easier.
Oh my gosh the stuff I used to carry around every day just in case one of my kids needed it. So funny, I kind of do and I kind of don’t miss those days.
Thank you for the congrats! She will be 6 months on Friday, and I can hardly believe it. Motherhood is quite the journey, but she is an absolute joy.:hbeat:

I have a dedicated diaper bag but it’s not included in my bag count since I know it won’t be a forever bag. I get what you mean about changing bag needs though. Prior to baby and pandemic, really big bags were my thing. The Neverfull GM was my perfect size. That’s changed now. My husband now takes care of all household errands, and we don’t really go anywhere at all so I actually don’t often find myself reaching for the diaper bag or my big bags. And if I’m going out without her it’s very purpose driven, really only for work or an appointment, and I’m trying to get home ASAP. I’m no longer taking a class or meeting friends afterwards, which means I’m no longer carrying food/clothes/shoes with me so my medium-sized bags are getting more use. It’s the opposite of what I would have expectedly but seeing as how she’s so little and can’t be vaccinated, we’re really just not taking her out and about all that much. I expect bag needs will continue to change as she grows into toddlerhood and young childhood, so there is definitely value to it making or even worrying about any big purges right now (though one could definitely argue that I have more than enough bags in all imaginable categories to be able to spare some!).

You seem overwhelmed. If you are overwhelmed it is never a good idea to get rid of things. Congrats on the little one. They say it can take a year for your hormones are balanced so maybe it's best to wait that out?

If you really want your numbers down you can always start with Kon Mari. First get all your bags in one place. Then hold them to see how you feel. This sounds insane but if we were a bit more rational we would all own one bag and not ramble our time away about bags we own, bags we want an all those other bags out there.

If I'm very rational I could suggest that you start with your multiples but bags are emotion. If you doubt letting go of a bag, do not let it go. Some people say that a bag should be used but don't let go of a classic bag because it does not suit your needs now. Your kid will grow up and there will be a time for small bags again. These are your bags and there is no need to get rid of them just because the thought of them somehow doesn't sit well with you anymore.

Do not look at helpfull things that work for other people, but look at yourself. Why do you want your number down? Are you prone to regret or do you move along quite quickly? How often do you change styles? If you reason a bag away, how do you feel about it?

I do have to say that every purge is hard but you can get used to it. At first you are attatched to every bag. The bag that you never wear but makes you happy to look at is not the same as the bag you don't actually like but wear every day. Both have a place but you'll recognise the background noise. If you really don’t know where to start, just start with the bags you know you love and let them be. Just wear the ones you're not sure about for a week or a month and after that most people know what to do with it. You know if it fits, if it's practical and most of all if you are attatched to it or not.

I am so sorry this was so long. I really hope it helps. Enjoy the newborn and have fun cleaning out your closet.

When it comes to bags, there have been times when I’ve been struck out of the blue. Several months ago, I took a photo that I refer to as Heavy Metal. It’s of my black bags with a significant amount of metal…..in my case PHW. At the time, I had a black Della Cavalleria reserved. After looking at this photo a number of times, I had an epiphany: it occurred to me that a Della Cavalleria was very similar to my BBVerrou. I immediately felt that I didn’t need, or even want, the Della. I wasn’t expecting it, but so far, I haven’t thought again about adding the bag. Considering my usual way of thinking, this is a miracle….

The photo that did it: two clutches; two shoulder bags and a tote……

09E2B75D-4392-494B-80DD-8CFA4F9275F0.jpeg

When it comes to bags, there have been times when I’ve been struck out of the blue. Several months ago, I took a photo that I refer to as Heavy Metal. It’s of my black bags with a significant amount of metal…..in my case PHW. At the time, I had a black Della Cavalleria reserved. After looking at this photo a number of times, I had an epiphany: it occurred to me that a Della Cavalleria was very similar to my BBVerrou. I immediately felt that I didn’t need, or even want, the Della. I wasn’t expecting it, but so far, I haven’t thought again about adding the bag. Considering my usual way of thinking, this is a miracle….

View attachment 5222129
Fantastic! And I know I asked you about the painting a while ago but can you refresh our collective memory about Monsieur the black handbag guardian?

Fantastic! And I know I asked you about the painting a while ago but can you refresh our collective memory about Monsieur the black handbag guardian?
Of course. The piece is titled Staller. It‘s from a series of Blokes by an artist named Aaron Smith. https://www.aaronsmithart.com/
I first saw his work online at a gallery showing in NYC. I knew I couldn’t afford a piece at that time. Several years later, I saw two available (resale) at different online art gallery sites and purchased this one. The paint is very thick on the original pieces, which I love, but he‘s currently offering a print of one of his paintings on his website. Had prints been an option back then, it’s likely I would have purchased one….

I just found these! Here’s a thumbnail of some of the pieces in the series….several of these are available for sale…
3D627348-4992-4754-A1EE-B9670D2AAA90.jpeg

Last edited:

View attachment 5222129
Great story and picture but my Hermes collection will never look like that-I know you have many more.
But partly because I have my navy one but I love exotics, my next step would be to save for a navy or indigo H exotic…maybe Kelly wallet…