Removal of breast implants

Breast Implant Illness is from the capsule that surrounds the implant. All implants have silicone shells. Saline implants can get mold. Research breast_implant_illness on IG.
I had heard about BII during my research in 2009, but I said “that won’t happen to me,” and went ahead with the surgery.
At year three, I had excess dry eyes. Prescription medication didn’t work, and I could no longer wear contacts. I had to wear glasses. Mysterious rashes appeared, I could feel them and doctors didn’t know what it was. They told me to moisturize. By year 7, I had two babies, was tired ALLLLLLL the time. I constantly took naps, while other moms I was friends with wouldn’t need them. My hair fell out with my first born and never returned. My eyes always burned (I had LASIK by this time). I started researching BII and scheduled my surgery.
Honestly, I can talk all day about all the horrible things that happened from my implants; and I was a lucky one. I went into surgery not knowing if my removal would help me. It did. Within 12hours, my eyes were bright white. My face had oil and felt moisturized.
Over the next few months, my terribly puffy round face (I blamed my second born) returned back to its normal state.
I could SLEEP. I think the implants resting on my lungs and heart Made it so I didn’t get REM sleep.it took a while to get used to that deep sleep again. The only thing more shocking than that was I love my small boobs more than my implants. I never thought that would happen. Implants sag over time. They make you look much larger than you are. My small boobs feel my husband when I hug him. It doesn’t feel like I have a life between us. My young children can rest their head on me when they get hurt. They would always make a funny face when trying to rest their face on what probably like a rock.

There are a few doctors who do fat transfer. I would look into this. It’s been around for about 12 years. It’s permanent. While implants, you are supposed to change them out every 8-10 years.
Please reach out if you have any questions at all. I am part of an explant group on FB just for the sole purpose to help other women!
Thank you so much for your detailed response. I'm 18 and I've definitely been trying to put myself into the it-wont-happen-to-me mindset but hearing stories like yours really give me a reality check. It looks like I won't be getting implants, it's just too dangerous. It's scary to think that the symptoms could creep up without you even noticing it's getting in the way of your daily routine in such detrimental ways.
I wish I could do a fat transfer :/ Unfortunately, I'm 5'5 and 112 pounds so that doesn't look like a possibility.

Thank you so much for your detailed response. I'm 18 and I've definitely been trying to put myself into the it-wont-happen-to-me mindset but hearing stories like yours really give me a reality check. It looks like I won't be getting implants, it's just too dangerous. It's scary to think that the symptoms could creep up without you even noticing it's getting in the way of your daily routine in such detrimental ways.
I wish I could do a fat transfer :/ Unfortunately, I'm 5'5 and 112 pounds so that doesn't look like a possibility.
There is a doctor that is well known for fat transfers from skinny girls, Dr Bedner.

I had saline implants over 15 years ago. Not because I wanted larger breasts but because I lost volume after children. I want just a lift but the doctor convinced me I had to have implants to restore the volume.

I HATE the look of mine. At only 5'3" they don't look in proportion with my body and I look heavier than I am in photos...matronly even. If I cover my breasts with a book or holding my dog, I look normal and thinner. They also jut out to the side and so my arms do not touch my body (think of ape arms)

After a consult with a doctor about getting them removed, not sure what to do. Because even with a lift, won't I have that same top of breast volume issue as before?? He said I should get smaller silicone ones but silicone scares me but he says they will shape better and prevent the side jutting. I don't know what to do.

My advice to those who are thinking about doing this, don't. I never got sick, but now this revision is going to be a problem and my breasts will probably look worse than what they did before.

Follow up to this....

I removed my implants 3 months ago.
I sleep better (I believe they prevented me from getting into a deep sleep), my hair is growing back, my nails are strong, my face acne scars are healing, my eyes are no longer red and burning, I can hug and actually feel like I can feel the person and not just pressure on my chest.
I had a lift and I’m back to my preimplant size. My dr has a wrap around method, so it takes the tissue from all around and scoops it up into a breast. Extremely happy.

Hi, can you post the name and location of your doctor? Or if you do not feel comfortable doing so here, can you private message me? It sounds like what you did is exactly what I need. Thanks!

Hey! I'm so sorry you had to experience BII, I hope you're feeling better! I'm currently considering getting saline implants as I hear they are less likely to cause BII.
I am absolutely terrified of getting BII, but my breasts are also a huge source of insecurity for me, I have slightly tubular breasts and they are very small. Do you think your symptoms were a result of leaving them in for too long, or have symptoms been slowly creeping up since you got them? If you could give me any advice or guidance it would be greatly appreciated.

That's absolutely untrue because saline or silicone filled, the casing of ALL implants is silicone. I almost died from BII earlier this year. There are many BII (Breast Implant Illness) groups on FB where you can hear from many people who don't benefit from telling you lies. Hundreds of thousands of women worldwide aren't wrong.

Discovering one of those groups saved my life because I was deteriorating fast and have made a 180 degree turn since having them taken out. Some women get sick from day one after breast augmentation surgery. Others get sicker after a mammogram (mammograms can rupture your implants; I think that's what sent me hurtling down a bad path - I developed a rupture that wasn't there before after my last mammogram). Even others are sick for years but since there isn't a test for BII, their issues are chalked up to age and other things that only clear up once they have explant surgery.

Breast Implant Illness is from the capsule that surrounds the implant. All implants have silicone shells. Saline implants can get mold. Research breast_implant_illness on IG.
I had heard about BII during my research in 2009, but I said “that won’t happen to me,” and went ahead with the surgery.
At year three, I had excess dry eyes. Prescription medication didn’t work, and I could no longer wear contacts. I had to wear glasses. Mysterious rashes appeared, I could feel them and doctors didn’t know what it was. They told me to moisturize. By year 7, I had two babies, was tired ALLLLLLL the time. I constantly took naps, while other moms I was friends with wouldn’t need them. My hair fell out with my first born and never returned. My eyes always burned (I had LASIK by this time). I started researching BII and scheduled my surgery.
Honestly, I can talk all day about all the horrible things that happened from my implants; and I was a lucky one. I went into surgery not knowing if my removal would help me. It did. Within 12hours, my eyes were bright white. My face had oil and felt moisturized.
Over the next few months, my terribly puffy round face (I blamed my second born) returned back to its normal state.
I could SLEEP. I think the implants resting on my lungs and heart Made it so I didn’t get REM sleep.it took a while to get used to that deep sleep again. The only thing more shocking than that was I love my small boobs more than my implants. I never thought that would happen. Implants sag over time. They make you look much larger than you are. My small boobs feel my husband when I hug him. It doesn’t feel like I have a life between us. My young children can rest their head on me when they get hurt. They would always make a funny face when trying to rest their face on what probably like a rock.

There are a few doctors who do fat transfer. I would look into this. It’s been around for about 12 years. It’s permanent. While implants, you are supposed to change them out every 8-10 years.
Please reach out if you have any questions at all. I am part of an explant group on FB just for the sole purpose to help other women!

I'm tired and it's late, so please excuse any typos.

BII comes from the silicone in the implant leaching into the body. The capsule that forms around the implant constantly grows with the toxicity coming from the implant. Most people don't know (because doctors don't tell us) that if you have your implants replaced, that they often do not remove the capsule from the first before replacing them, meaning all the toxicity remains in the body. Many doctors will even tell you that you can get better by only removing the implants and not the capsules; you might get temporarily better, but then the symptoms will return until the capsules are fully removed. DO EN BLOC SURGERY ONLY.

Speaking of the capsule, replacing your implants every 8-10 years doesn't matter because the capsule literally begins to form the day you get them (people with implants for a month had capsules already) and as I said above, they often do not remove the capsule of the previous implant. The formation of the capsule is due to your body knowing it doesn't belong in there, so it immediately moves to protect your body from them. BII symptoms begin immediately, but they can and will blame it on everything but the implants (even if you were healthy before and became sick after getting them). Many get sick due to the capsule(s) rupturing, so all that silicone leaks into the body freely. There is even a cancer that is solely linked to having implants. Go to the BII sites or groups and read up on what silicone is made from.

Implants that have been removed have killed plants they were stored near. They have been removed and found with mold INSIDE THEM. There is a doctor named Dr Buenrostro in Mexico who does nothing but explant surgeries (no augmentations) you can look up on Instagram if you want to see what he finds during them. This website is linked to the largest FB BII group: https://www.healingbreastimplantillness.com/.

Just like you, removing my implants turned everything around. The "whites" of my eyes are actually white now (they were yellow before). My hairline has filled in and my hair is growing like weeds. My nails have stopped breaking off. My memory came back (I had the memory of a 90 year old before). My skin was like paper, it was so dried out; now it's soft and supple again. I have so much energy now where before I could barely get out of bed. The inflammation (AKA weight) is gone. My doctor ran pathology and thankfully everything was good. Some aren't so lucky.

I had to go through the insurance route so there were hoops to jump, but if you have the money, just pay and get them out so it can happen quickly. Often due to recalls (there are quite a few) or with letters from your doctor you can get partial or full reimbursement. Your health is worth it.

Last edited:
I had mine removed in 2014, and then had some fat transfer done. I am very happy with the result, but it was stressful and expensive to have two procedures.
Hi! I am also interested in fat transfer ) Did you get a breast lift as well or fat was enough to fill the pockets from implants? I heard not much fat can be transferred to breast...How much of the difference fat transfer gave you? for example, from size A to B or C? Was there any complications in fat transfer and also in the areas where fat transfer was taken from? Thank you!

Hi! I am also interested in fat transfer ) Did you get a breast lift as well or fat was enough to fill the pockets from implants? I heard not much fat can be transferred to breast...How much of the difference fat transfer gave you? for example, from size A to B or C? Was there any complications in fat transfer and also in the areas where fat transfer was taken from? Thank you!
Hi, mfa87. I really had very little after the implants were removed. Probably an AA cup. I waited a year before getting fat transfer and during that time my own breast tissue rebounded a bit and I was back to the A cup I had before implants. My implants were not very big. I didn't need a lift or any additional surgery. The fat transfer got me to what I call a baby B cup. I have since gained a little weight which has increased my breast size.

I had no complications. I had liposuction on tummy, buttock area and outer thighs. I traveled to another city to see a doctor who has done a lot of fat transfers and came recommended. I am very happy with the results. Hope this helps!

Reactions: mfa777
Hi, mfa87. I really had very little after the implants were removed. Probably an AA cup. I waited a year before getting fat transfer and during that time my own breast tissue rebounded a bit and I was back to the A cup I had before implants. My implants were not very big. I didn't need a lift or any additional surgery. The fat transfer got me to what I call a baby B cup. I have since gained a little weight which has increased my breast size.

I had no complications. I had liposuction on tummy, buttock area and outer thighs. I traveled to another city to see a doctor who has done a lot of fat transfers and came recommended. I am very happy with the results. Hope this helps!
Thank you!:smile:

I just wanted to follow up and say that I removed my implants Dec 2019 and I have never regretting for a one day removing them. I opted not to get a fat transfer, as my miracle dr was able to get me to a C cup during explant.

Reactions: mfa777
I've had my implants for 13 years now, I cant say I am experiencing BII because I have 4 kids and both my husband and I work full time, my oldest 2 boys are in sports etc; my younger 2 are terrors (:hrmm::biggrin::P) life is just crazy busy for me/us. However, when I got this surgery I was just a young 23 year old, I am almost 37 and after kids and gravity, my boobs got bigger LOL. Back then I was all about vanity, and loving the attention...but now after 4 kids, I just want to be comfy, wear cute bras, not have HUGE boobs (everyone is always looking, even when I cover up!). Fort me, tts time to take them out; these aren't meant to stay forever. Hoping to explant next year

I've had my implants for 13 years now…. Fort me, tts time to take them out; these aren't meant to stay forever. Hoping to explant next year
Please make sure you get enbloc and do your research on doctors! I truly believe you will feel like a different person when they are out.
I got mine at 27 and had them for 10 years. I thought the stress, bloat, and anxiety were from stress (two kids). 95% of my problems were my implants.

Please make sure you get enbloc and do your research on doctors! I truly believe you will feel like a different person when they are out.
I got mine at 27 and had them for 10 years. I thought the stress, bloat, and anxiety were from stress (two kids). 95% of my problems were my implants.
Yes I found a PS who ONLY operates explanting :smile: thank you

I’m getting mine out in jan. I noticed a lump in my arm pit right when Covid was happening and noticed my left breast change shape. My dr told me to see a plastic surgeon, she told me mine were recalled for cancer and all the symptoms I’m having so removal is covered since they have to remove my lymph node as well. She brought bII to me as ive never heard of it. It’s scary how it crept up with time. I’ve been diagnosed with lupus and Ra and have been sick since my early 20’s if she didn’t thumb thru my file I would never have known they would make me sick. My rheumatologist said they are hoping and thinking I’ll get better but my autoimmune disorder will probably stay but improve. I’m so nervous as I have trouble swallowing due to esophagus motility issue and coordination problem that start in 2019. The dr removing them is covered by insurance and recommended by my oncologist. They’re removing everything they said(since it recalled for cancers, breast, lymphoma,and immune cancer)and my lymph nodes on the left side and I’m doing a lift since there’s going to be nothing but skin.. I’m so scared and nervous about recovery and I hate anesthesia. Im overwhelmed