cutting raw hem jeans

sdkitty

O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
I got a pair of AG jeans with a raw hem like the ones in this pic. They are a bit long. I can turn them under or I can try cutting them. If I cut them will they fray too much? I saw one Internet article that said if you cut them you'd need to sew a line above the cut to prevent too much fraying. If I take them to the tailor they will probably try to talk me into just hemming them the old fashioned way.
60282449-d580-45bb-962f-97137aae5b70(1).jpeg

I used to wear cut-offs (shorts) all the time. I was going for a very raggedy look so hacked away. I used to do it to boots too LOL.

Basically, the more 'ship-wrecked' you wanna look the less you have to worry but it is advisable to sew a line slightly above the cut if you don't want edges to fray too much, and if you do the stitches the same colour as the jeans it should't show. The looser/thinner the weave of the jeans the more they'll fray, the ones with elastane are less prone too.

A tailor should do them the way you want, no problem. Just communicate your preferences.

You'd probably want a tailor if those AG were over $200.

I only like to cut up cheap jeans to make denim shorts, shorter hemmed jeans, cut side flaps on jeans, etc. Since mine were cheap, I didn't care if they frayed too much.

@sdkitty, if you cut them, they will fray over time, especially if you use them often. I have a pair of straight leg jeans (thinner weave) that I cut and it does keep fraying with use. I would suggest sewing a line above the cut as suggested above. It's a quick and easy fix.

I only like to cut up cheap jeans to make denim shorts, shorter hemmed jeans, cut side flaps on jeans, etc. Since mine were cheap, I didn't care if they frayed too much.
well, I didn't pay that for them....got them for a steal at the consignment shop

I used to wear cut-offs (shorts) all the time. I was going for a very raggedy look so hacked away. I used to do it to boots too LOL.

Basically, the more 'ship-wrecked' you wanna look the less you have to worry but it is advisable to sew a line slightly above the cut if you don't want edges to fray too much, and if you do the stitches the same colour as the jeans it should't show. The looser/thinner the weave of the jeans the more they'll fray, the ones with elastane are less prone too.

A tailor should do them the way you want, no problem. Just communicate your preferences.
My DH is much handier than I am. He has a sharp razor knife (something similar to a box cutter I think). We're gonna try it on a pair of old jeans I was planning to donate. I have this fray stop product. thought maybe I could use it after washing the jeans to contain the fraying. I could take it to the alterations lady but the last pair I had her do came out too short. May have been may fault but anyway.....
Amazon.com: Dritz Fray Check Liquid Seam Sealant.75-Fluid Ounce (2-Pack), Clear

Reactions: papertiger
My DH is much handier than I am. He has a sharp razor knife (something similar to a box cutter I think). We're gonna try it on a pair of old jeans I was planning to donate. I have this fray stop product. thought maybe I could use it after washing the jeans to contain the fraying. I could take it to the alterations lady but the last pair I had her do came out too short. May have been may fault but anyway.....
Amazon.com: Dritz Fray Check Liquid Seam Sealant.75-Fluid Ounce (2-Pack), Clear
Did the liquid fray work? I bought some to use on a pair of cut off Madewell shorts, but i haven't worn them yet. Not sure how to apply the liquid seam.

Wash them first though!

I just looked at these jeans in Nordstrom’s...hmmm. Maybe this is a sign. Dang it!

@sdkitty, if you cut them, they will fray over time, especially if you use them often. I have a pair of straight leg jeans (thinner weave) that I cut and it does keep fraying with use. I would suggest sewing a line above the cut as suggested above. It's a quick and easy fix.
Did the liquid fray work? I bought some to use on a pair of cut off Madewell shorts, but i haven't worn them yet. Not sure how to apply the liquid seam.

I took them to the local alterations lady. She didn't want to do the fray so I just had her do a regular hem. Rather than put them on and have her measure, I pinned one leg - told her this was the length I wanted and asked if she wanted me to put them on. she said if you're sure, I'll do w/o you trying on. I picked them up yesterday and one leg is slightly longer than the other. When you hold the two legs up to each other they seem the same but when I put them on or measure, there is a difference of maybe a half inch.
I measured them so that I could wear either with sandals or jeans. With sandals even the shorter leg is a big long. So I'll probably try folding them under with sandals. with boots they may be ok. I'm afraid if I take them back matters could get worse.

last pair I took to her came out too short...not sure whose fault that was She wanted to make them longer and I wanted them shorter.....I think I'll try someone different next time
It's hell sometimes being short(ish)

Reactions: papertiger
I took them to the local alterations lady. She didn't want to do the fray so I just had her do a regular hem. Rather than put them on and have her measure, I pinned one leg - told her this was the length I wanted and asked if she wanted me to put them on. she said if you're sure, I'll do w/o you trying on. I picked them up yesterday and one leg is slightly longer than the other. When you hold the two legs up to each other they seem the same but when I put them on or measure, there is a difference of maybe a half inch.
I measured them so that I could wear either with sandals or jeans. With sandals even the shorter leg is a big long. So I'll probably try folding them under with sandals. with boots they may be ok. I'm afraid if I take them back matters could get worse.

last pair I took to her came out too short...not sure whose fault that was She wanted to make them longer and I wanted them shorter.....I think I'll try someone different next time
It's hell sometimes being short(ish)
I have that problem with pants but it’s because one leg of mine is slightly longer than the other (not enough to notice except for my pants length). Maybe that’s your issue too. That’s why I always have whoever is altering my jeans pin them on me.

I have that problem with pants but it’s because one leg of mine is slightly longer than the other (not enough to notice except for my pants length). Maybe that’s your issue too. That’s why I always have whoever is altering my jeans pin them on me.
funny, if I have one leg longer than the other, it took a long time to notice it. anyway, as I said, they're a bit long with sandals so I can fold them under or roll up. with boots they'll probably be ok.
I guess next time I'll put on pants when having altered (as I always have done)

I got a pair of AG jeans with a raw hem like the ones in this pic. They are a bit long. I can turn them under or I can try cutting them. If I cut them will they fray too much? I saw one Internet article that said if you cut them you'd need to sew a line above the cut to prevent too much fraying. If I take them to the tailor they will probably try to talk me into just hemming them the old fashioned way.
View attachment 5166276

Just had this problem. Needed another pair of shorts so cut off the legs of an old pair of denim bell bottoms at a length that looked good.
Have washed them a few times & I just cut of the occasional stray threads.

It’s a very casual hanging out look.
If they fray much more I’ll run a row or two of machine stitching to stabilize.

Reactions: sdkitty