Chanel classic flap pre-loved or new?

peachypink

Mar 12, 2013
Hi everyone!

I really really want to buy a black classic flap in small and have been ready to buy it from the boutique for a while now, but the pandemic came at the worst time and is now inhibiting me from doing so for many months (no Chanel store in my country and no travel right now). It's really driving me crazy!
My first Chanel flap was a pre-loved small classic flap in ivory jersey with gold re-issue chain from the 90's and it is probably my most beautiful/happy purchase ever. It's in amazing condition and just I fell in love with the feel of the vintage Chanel bags.

Next I really want a small classic flap in black, but am on the fence as to which one. I really love the gold-plated appeal and feel of the black vintage classic flaps from the 80's-90's. However, I love the black small classic flap in caviar with silver hardware, as I like the firm structure/more resistent and the modern appeal, works with more etc.
What do you guys think? I am also weary as to the multiple price increases and the quality of todays classic flaps being sub-par/worse than the older bags. The new bags even look plasticky/fake sometimes. The vintage ones actually look more authentic to me sometimes. On the other hand I am concerned as to second hand retailers, and am only considering ones that are widely known such as WGACA. Another issue I have is I hate breaking a new bag in, it terrifies me. But of course if you're dropping 6k on a bag you want to be able to feel comfortable wearing it.
What do you guys think? Vintage (with gold hardware) or new (with caviar and silver hardware)?

I'm in a similar situation as you. I've been meaning to buy my first Chanel this year but because there is no Chanel boutique in my country, I'm forced to wait until we can travel again. Like you, I also hate breaking in new bags so while I take good care of my bags, I find that I baby them less and less over time.

I'm considering asking my friend abroad to purchase the Chanel medium classic caviar in silver hardware since I'm wary of the price increase. I find the prices in the preloved market too high plus I'm not experienced in spotting counterfeits so for these reasons, I find buying from the boutique more justifiable.

I would go brand new caviar silver hardware :smile: Good luck with your decision!

Reactions: peachypink
When is the next price increase due? And can you buy online?
If you're buying it in black this will hold its value so it may be worth buying it new. As another person has said, I wouldn't know if something second hand was authentic or not and wouldn't run the risk. Especially with the price difference not being too big a of saving.

Reactions: chloelu
bump! also wondering the same as i've heard so many stories about the bags 10 years or older being better quality, but how does caviar hold its shape?

All these are more than 10yo except the reissue (coming 10).

Chanel caviar will surely stand the test of time - older or newer series. The "trick" is never overstuff when used, and always filled when stored.
It's that simple (other than keeping them conditioned time to time).

B7CFF511-71CF-45B4-A9F2-48C4CD7EA05E.jpeg40F55A22-D10E-4968-A0F3-6802329FFE1B.jpeg8753821B-E33B-4F45-82F3-2427FF8AC836.jpegB61F8AC6-0A11-4A29-AC13-E3B090F734C0.jpeg0ACA67A8-3B37-4F40-A02E-2C96467D5BCA.jpeg

Reactions: LeilaCreates
This is my vintage Chanel small flap from 2002-2003. I compared it with my other Chanel caviar from 2010+ and the leather on this one feels thicker and more durable. Hope that helps!

Attachments

• 20210702_122739~3.jpg
    20210702_122739~3.jpg
    396 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: azzazza