Perfume Chat Thread

Yet one more reason to love small, niche perfume houses. A hand written thank you from the owner/nose! You're not just one of fifteen thousand nameless customers. Got this with my Kyse perfume samples that arrived today. Also got one with my last order. And it's just samples, not even full bottles yet.

20210607_200018~3.jpg

Reactions: papertiger
What independent/niche scent houses do you like?

I like Baruti, Hiram Green, BeauFort London, Patricia Nicolai, Olfactive Studio and of course Fueguia 1833. Perfumery Rogue makes nice fragrances.
And I have some names on my list to explore. There are some British brands doing well, Australian too.

Reactions: JenJBS
Fun thread!

Notes I enjoy: osmanthus, orange blossom, grapefruit, green tea, some rose. Pine and spices for winter/Xmas.

Not a fan of: patchouli, sandalwood, white florals, gourmand/food scents, lemon

Favorite scents: Stella McCartney Stella, JM Orange Blossom, Diptyque Baies, Berlin, Hong Kong and Voluspa Panjore Lychee candles. I guess I lean fruity-floral.

I want to like Diptyque frags but they tend to dry down to a chemically undertone on me. Also tried SMN but I don’t think it works with my body chemistry. I have and enjoy Byredo Black Saffron but I feel like the recent releases smell too similar. Been getting into Federic Malle and Killian. I’m looking for a candle that smells like coffee. I bought Acqua di Parma’s Caffe en Piazza candle but it’s mostly vanilla and cardamom. Also want to get into tea scents. Le Labo’s Basil hand pomade smells more like green tea to me after the initial herbal opening.

Fun thread!

Notes I enjoy: osmanthus, orange blossom, grapefruit, green tea, some rose. Pine and spices for winter/Xmas.

Not a fan of: patchouli, sandalwood, white florals, gourmand/food scents, lemon

Favorite scents: Stella McCartney Stella, JM Orange Blossom, Diptyque Baies, Berlin, Hong Kong and Voluspa Panjore Lychee candles. I guess I lean fruity-floral.

I want to like Diptyque frags but they tend to dry down to a chemically undertone on me. Also tried SMN but I don’t think it works with my body chemistry. I have and enjoy Byredo Black Saffron but I feel like the recent releases smell too similar. Been getting into Federic Malle and Killian. I’m looking for a candle that smells like coffee. I bought Acqua di Parma’s Caffe en Piazza candle but it’s mostly vanilla and cardamom. Also want to get into tea scents. Le Labo’s Basil hand pomade smells more like green tea to me after the initial herbal opening.

I'm liking Kilian. I have Woman in Gold and Flower of Immortality. I want to try a few Fredric Malle scents.

Reactions: papertiger
Welcome! And I am dying to hear more about your thoughts on niche scents :biggrin:
@papertiger, I’m looking through my shoe box (scientific method of storing samples and decants) for kingdom by Alexander McQueen
@Cams and @JenJBS, thanks for your kind words re the collection. A few years ago, i did a massive purge and I don’t generally buy full bottles any more unless I’m really sure.

I'll just do British I've tried:

Ruth Mastenbroek works for other scent/brand houses but she has her own line. She takes time to develop new fragrances and I don't think there is a scent I don't like but Oxford (Autumn/Winter for me) and her signature suit me best, I may get Fire Dancer next though https://www.ruthmastenbroek.com. She always uses the best ingredients and all the money doesn't just go into the bottle.

Roger Dove of course (Diaghilev my absolute favourite). I love the scent of Oligarch (usually for men) too but I cannot wear a scent with that name, never a compliment for anyone and so culturally inappropriate.

Liberty (the department store) is a treasure trove of undiscovered small/limited scents. I allow myself to sniff uptown 5 fragrances and sometimes come home with something I can't resist.

To be really boring, I really like some heritage brands, even if they're well known- like Molinard (which is actually quite small) and even Guerlain. My mother had a house very close to Grasse (Provence -Alpes-Côte d'Azur) visiting since I was 18, so I've never been short of (French) fragrances :rolleyes: that are based on local ingredients. If anyone is interested they can learn all about making perfume and the fragrance industry at some of the bigger houses Parfumerie Fragonard, Molinard and Parfumerie Galimard are all open to the public (gift shops on the way out of course!!! :biggrin:)

I've only heard good things
I tried FM Moon. I think it depends on skin chemistry and preference. On me, sweet fruit and powdery notes were amplified. and, the rest was an evolution into big amber, incense, oud, woods with a slight synthetic note somewhere. But, my skin chemistry really likes Une Flsur de Cassie, an FM that I think is discontinued, that some others find urinous. its available by decant or sample as well as by mini collection I think called essential woman (Bloomingdales) as well as it’s own collection mentioned above.

@rutabaga, I agree about dyptyique fragrances drydown being a bit synthetic. I googled coffee scented candles bc I was curious (I have not tried any) and came up with this list:
  • Anya Hindmarch Coffee Small Candle $75.
  • Homesick Seattle Candle $34.
  • The Burlap Bag Gimme Coffee $18.
  • The Little Market Coffee Candle $36.
  • Frédéric Malle Cafe Society Candle $95.
  • Illume Boulangerie Jar $18.
  • Swan Creek Candle Co

i ordered the sample assortment from Baruti and am on the fence, main,y bc it’s summer and I find them more geared to fall, so I’ll wait and retry.

my Fuegia 1833 samples (recommended by @Tasha1 arrived, and I love all of them. During the summer I prefer dabbing from a sample and really like scents that lie close to the skin.
agua magnoliana I-Xix is refreshing, clear, a bit sweet, but light. With some alcohol on the rim that dissipates on skin.
agua de gardenia is this well blended gardenia with notes of coconut and beach. IMO femme fatale summer. Not my personality, but I really wish it was!
rosa de los vientos is IMO a really well crafted wine rich rose (when I smell scents like this I think of white burgundy, old world wine)
muskara Rosa is a bit sweeter when I sniff the bottle rim, (no where as sweet as Andy Tauer though) but on skin seems like the rose is mellowed with a bit of leather. . . Kid glove leather or suede, not manly robust leather :biggrin:

I could be totally wrong though. when I do first impressions, I don’t read the actual perfume notes or reviews.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
i ordered the sample assortment from Baruti and am on the fence, main,y bc it’s summer and I find them more geared to fall, so I’ll wait and retry.

Perverso is pretty good, but, as you said, it's not really the kind of thing that someone would want to wear too much outside of the cooler time of the year.

I also don't pay too much mind to lists of notes. People treat them like they're ingredient lists, but a lot of the time notes lists are just bu11shit.

I like to read reviews...sometimes. It depends on who's writing them and where they're coming from. A lot of the people who post reviews on Fragrantica just have no idea what they're talking about, so just...no.