Coach Rehab and Rescue Club

Making your own leather charms? What a great idea! I have some leather in my crafting stash. Now I am getting ideas...hmmm..if only I had heard of this at the beginning of the lockdown!

Unrelated but I love your avatar/name! Bojack Horseman was one of my favourite shows! Have you seen Big Mouth or Rick & Morty? I love adult cartoons lol

Hello Friends,
I'm Constance I've been lurking around TPF for years, but I'm fairly new to this thread and to rehabbing. I was surprised at how intensely addictive it is! I find rehabbing bags so therapeutic! It's like what I want to do with people, but can't LOL

Sooo, I bought a purple station (authenticated by BB). Upon arrival I became concerned it may have been airbrushed with dye or something- primarily due to a really stiff texture, some strange marks on the inside and touched up edges. The marks inside aren't a stain, but appear to be lack of pigment. The seller is LOVELY and happy to take the bag back (she's only dunked and conditioned the bag). I'll probably keep it regardless, because it's soooo pretty. But in the spirit of learning, I wanted to post some pictures and see what you guys think about the color, and if you have seen marks like that inside a bag before. Thanks in advance!

View attachment 5078388View attachment 5078389View attachment 5078390View attachment 5078391View attachment 5078396.View attachment 5078397

No opinions on what has been done to the bag because I have no idea what I'm doing most of the time. But regardless, if airbrushed, touched up or whatever....this bag is BEAUTIFUL!!!

And welcome!

Thank you to everyone for all the wonderful tips on how to rehab Coach. I've very much enjoyed working on vintage coach bags and sorta bringing them back to life. I have a quick question - apparently a court bag I bought and rehabbed was a fake - do you try to salvage any of the hardware etc to use in the future on other bags or basically just trash the entire thing? I'm considering keeping the strap and snap hooks, d rings and turn lock if nothing else as they seem to be brass (even if they aren't coach). Prices on brass replacement parts aren't exactly super cheap unless you're buying in bulk. Also I've thought about maybe just salvaging the leather and using it to make a card holder or something like that (rather ambitious but if the leather is going to be trashed anyway then I won't feel bad if I screw it up). Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you to everyone for all the wonderful tips on how to rehab Coach. I've very much enjoyed working on vintage coach bags and sorta bringing them back to life. I have a quick question - apparently a court bag I bought and rehabbed was a fake - do you try to salvage any of the hardware etc to use in the future on other bags or basically just trash the entire thing? I'm considering keeping the strap and snap hooks, d rings and turn lock if nothing else as they seem to be brass (even if they aren't coach). Prices on brass replacement parts aren't exactly super cheap unless you're buying in bulk. Also I've thought about maybe just salvaging the leather and using it to make a card holder or something like that (rather ambitious but if the leather is going to be trashed anyway then I won't feel bad if I screw it up). Any thoughts or suggestions?

I would definitely save it for parts! I've broken a turnlock lately and it would be very convenient if I had another. Also, might as well go for making whatever you want out of the leather bits. Like you said, if it's going to be trashed, might as well experiment.

Save it for parts. If you do throw any of it away, make sure the creed is destroyed so someone can't put it on something else. The strap and hardware could end up being useful. You might find that you can use some of the piping to repair another bag at some time in the future. It certainly would be easier than cutting leather strips to make your own piping.

Unrelated but I love your avatar/name! Bojack Horseman was one of my favourite shows! Have you seen Big Mouth or Rick & Morty? I love adult cartoons lol
Those cartoons are on my list of ones to watch, definitely. I've heard a lot of good things!

I'm a big fan of Steven Universe, AtLA, Infinity Train, Tuca and Bertie, She-Ra, Adventure Time, etc. In fact, I am thinking about making a leather Rose Quartz (of Steven Universe) shield purse charm or a White Lotus (from Avatar) charm. I painted a little Target purse into a Rose Quartz shield for cosplay purposes a couple years ago (in the Before Time), and I think I could make a smaller version as a purse charm.

Those cartoons are on my list of ones to watch, definitely. I've heard a lot of good things!

I'm a big fan of Steven Universe, AtLA, Infinity Train, Tuca and Bertie, She-Ra, Adventure Time, etc. In fact, I am thinking about making a leather Rose Quartz (of Steven Universe) shield purse charm or a White Lotus (from Avatar) charm. I painted a little Target purse into a Rose Quartz shield for cosplay purposes a couple years ago (in the Before Time), and I think I could make a smaller version as a purse charm.

I wish I could un-watch them just to re-watch all the seasons again lol. Both shows are amazing, you will love them! Ive never heard of any of the shows you mentioned but now Im definitely gonna add them to my watch list. Another show Id recommend is Supermansion if you can find it. It’s a stop motion adult superhero comedy (I watch too much tv lol)

Hello Friends,
I'm Constance I've been lurking around TPF for years, but I'm fairly new to this thread and to rehabbing. I was surprised at how intensely addictive it is! I find rehabbing bags so therapeutic! It's like what I want to do with people, but can't LOL

Sooo, I bought a purple station (authenticated by BB). Upon arrival I became concerned it may have been airbrushed with dye or something- primarily due to a really stiff texture, some strange marks on the inside and touched up edges. The marks inside aren't a stain, but appear to be lack of pigment. The seller is LOVELY and happy to take the bag back (she's only dunked and conditioned the bag). I'll probably keep it regardless, because it's soooo pretty. But in the spirit of learning, I wanted to post some pictures and see what you guys think about the color, and if you have seen marks like that inside a bag before. Thanks in advance!

View attachment 5078388View attachment 5078389View attachment 5078390View attachment 5078391View attachment 5078396.View attachment 5078397
No opinions on what has been done to the bag because I have no idea what I'm doing most of the time. But regardless, if airbrushed, touched up or whatever....this bag is BEAUTIFUL!!!

And welcome!

Agreed, it’s a lovely bag. I’m also probably not the savviest at spotting all the before-it-got-to-me alterations, but wanted to comment that I’ve seen the same absence of color on the interior close to the bottom seams of many authentic, original-color bags, in case that was cause for concern. I also notice the color of the suede on the inside of the side loop for the brass hardware - it seems to be the same purple as the inside of the bag. That detail hints (to me at least) at the color being original.

Without being able to feel it, I didn’t notice anything in your pictures that screams “aftermarket color”...which at the very least suggests that if it IS, it seems to have been well done.

Other opinions welcome of course!