2021 Resolution: Shopping my own bag and SLG collection. Any one else?

NOVEMBER ACTIVITIES

1. Bags by Brand Showcase!

Each week, share photos of your bags from the specified brands. Choose a posed “beauty” shot or get your bags out and about in action shots!

We highlight 3 brands per week: 2 premier and 1 contemporary in alphabetical order as listed on tPF. Any brands not listed are showcased in our last week. Brands change to the next set each Sunday.

Our first brand week starts now - Sunday, Oct 31. Please share photos of bags from these brands:
  • Bottega Venetta
  • Burberry
  • Alexander Wang

Tip: Grab your photos from last year in the 2020 resolution thread. Search your user name and the brand to find your photos.

2. Special Stories
Thanks @Claudia Herzog for the suggestion

Wear a bag that has a backstory involving a person, place, or opportunity for which you feel grateful.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Sparkletastic, I would love to see how you stored over 150 bags If you have any pics. I’ve always been constrained by space. @whateve, I don’t have much guilt re bags either. It’s bc in order to get into Hermes originally, I liquidated a ton of old chanel (it was a lot cheaper years ago); Prada; Fendi; Miu Miu; gucci; etc etc. most from before bags hit the 1K retail mark. I remember when Prada and Gucci were 400-500 usd. What also helped was when I started to purchase Hermes, I stopped going to designer sample sales like Valentino and Carolina Herrera. It was like a fashion cold turkey crash diet.

you take a hit if you consign or sell, but it does prevent you from easily pulling the trigger on new items. And you just ship off a big box and forget about it. I don’t think I could have come up with an idea of what I want my collection to be without purging first. I also think it was more the ideal bag I saw myself carrying. then once I had one, buying different colors or materials.

what was hard was to purge a material I loved in a style/size that didn’t work. For example, the 31 trim II didn’t work for me as much as the 35 trim II. Even though it was crinoline, which I adore, I gave it to a friend who appreciates it. I’m waiting to see if I can lose some weight before deciding whether a black Phw crinoline Vespa PM is going to go or not. It just looks better and I use it more when I’m thinner. and, it hasn’t been used in a while. :biggrin:

@SouthernPurseGal, I forgot, did you ever get your Hermes Trim? I love taupe year round too for the same reas9ns you menti9n
The 150 was several cities and approx. 12 years ago. And my storage approach then would make me cringe now.

Re: prices. I feel like I’ve been in a vortex over covid and everyone’s moved comfortably on into the crazy zone without me. I mentioned my eye rolls on the current Chanel prices. And I checked out Prada because I thought the re-edition bag was a cutie and couldn’t believe their nylon (which I haven’t bought in forever) was priced as it is.

That sounds like a good approach. I had a similar realization as you have had several years ago. At the time I had over 150 bags - from Guess to Prada. No cohesion of style, no strategy. I was drawn to the deal.

One of the things I did was write down my ideal collection. When I realized what I truly wanted, I took on the chore of selling everything. It took some fits and starts but I’m glad I did it. Maybe try that - dream about and write down your ideal collection. If nothing else, it’ll be fun!

150 bags? I am impressed, and especially that you were able to cull it down thru that analysis.

I sat down and hypothesized my dream collection recently but it hasn’t really stopped me buying... I think I like switching out a little much.

We currently have a mama cat and her babies in our garden. I can't get close enough to get good pictures of those cute kittens.

Our pet mouse had babies in March- so cute and such a wonderful experience. Of course we couldn´t give the little ones away- they instantly became family members- so we went from two mice (one of them the mum who unbeknownst to us came to us already pregnant ) to 9 of them now savely separated into a man and woman cage.

IMG_20210329_134624431.jpg

View attachment 5066547
enjoying an autumn bag in spring :giggle:
beautiful bag!
View attachment 5066548At least yesterday I carried a powder pink bag that screams spring!
Very spring indeed! I love the strap!
spot on @afroken and @ElainePG ! @SakuraSakura, sorry to hear you are having a hard time emotionally. This has been a tough year, and I see it within my own academic environment with students and faculty. Take care of yourself. I love the advice of small wins. For me, I have been working on a 1000 piece puzzle and it has been enormously and surprisingly satisfying in terms of redirecting my attention and feeling accomplished.
Great advice. :heart:
What can I say...she brings me joy...
Out to visit mom. :smile:
The H pouch has hand cream and a handkerchief in it. Not pictured is the phone I used to take the pic...View attachment 5067259View attachment 5067260
She looks fantastic!
Do rivets count as embellishments? If so, here’s mine:
View attachment 5067614Oxblood rivet Rogue, midnight blue rivet Rogue, Arayla Jett satchel and black rivet Dreamer
Lovely collection!
April stats!
Bag in or out - 0/0
Scarves in or out - 0/0 - I did purchase one but it won't be here until next month, so I will count it then. At least I hope it gets here next month! It hasn't even been shipped yet!

Challenges:
* Humorous or fun bags/ Spring colors/Pastel colors - I don't really have humorous or whimsical bags, or pastel colors - so I carried my super Fun and 'I like to carry this in the warm months' MZ Wallace in punch 6 times. I do love this bag, and I am tempted to buy a leather bag in a similar color... Oh hello lovely pink croc bag I remember seeing last month, that I don't need but gee it's so CUTE!!!

* Delicate bags - I carried my H Drag II (box leather) once, and the Dior Lady (lambskin) once.

I read (or listened to) 3 books - The Sandman (interesting and prompted me to read American God's again), Bag of Bones, and The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue - I LOVED this book! Thank you so much for the recommendation @BowieFan1971!
I'm currently reading the previously mentioned American Gods and Anna Karenina (Audible).

The Great Basement Purge is 98% done! :party:
Yesterday St. Vincent de Paul came out and picked up almost a truck full of 'stuff'. Mr Cookie and I dragged it all out of the basement on Saturday, and whined all day Sunday because we were so sore. I still have a few things to go through (baby stuff and some decor items I need to get serious about), but ZOMG - I am SO glad it's out!
View attachment 5068366 I spent Sunday sweeping, organizing/re-doing the wine glasses (we have a ridiculous number of wine glasses - but - parties!), and stacking boxes of wine, because I had racked some on Saturday.

Saturday - to add a special picquante to the day - the water heater pooped out, making a sizable puddle that kept growing until the plumber came. While waiting for the plumber, I alternately mopped, moved all the storage shelves (wine glasses and decanters), and then moved wine because I had space to put it in.
Great stats for April! and nice job in clearing items away!
April stats
Nothing in or out

YTD stats
Bags in: 2
Bags out: 6
SLGs in: 0
SLGs out: 1

Resisted around 10 bag offers from friends and family for my birthday, but it wasn't too hard as I seem to be battling the most severe depression I've ever experienced. At one point, I packed up all my bags to donate because I was feeling extremely apathetic. Thankfully my mum stepped in to remind me that my collection represents the places I've lived and would be irreplaceable.

My three attempts at therapy since Jan had left me near suicidal (not all therapists are good, just like every other industry, and I have entirely given up on that route). That compounded with the sheer discrimination I am facing as I attempt to re-enter the job market has left me devastated (whatever the rules on paper, people do not hide their disgust at my disfigured face, nor am I oblivious to the gossip fodder I will be once I answer their questions about my accident).

My high point has been the virtual embrace I have received from my pocket friends here. On days when I was really low and had lost all sense of self worth, I would find a PM saying just the right words to give me hope; other times I reached out with a question and got sage advice. When my health suddenly plummeted, I returned from hospital to a stream of PMs with anecdotes and well wishes, reminding me that I was being thought of. What an absolute gift that was.
My virtual friends on here offered me a safe space, free of judgement, along with kindness and patience that is far greater than I deserved. To you, I am deeply indebted. :heart:

Now I am focusing on trying to get my health back, being grateful that somehow we managed to get my mum to move in with me during a pandemic!!!, and just how lucky I am to be a part of this community where everyone is so genuinely nice. Hopefully I'll be able to enjoy my bags again soon, as that will be the mark of my old self returning. :smile:

I'm not at all caught up on the thread but sincerely hope that everyone is safe and well. :flowers:
:hugs:
Ta-da!

The postman handed me a box and the magic sound of New Lock chains could be heard...
(My brain said "check, it´s authentic!")
View attachment 5069267

Unboxing time:

View attachment 5069268

...the scent of Dior started to fill my room, all my senses and make me dizzy with joy...

View attachment 5069269View attachment 5069270View attachment 5069271

...here she is! I haven´t expected her "with a magnifying glass" yet, but I´m sure she is fine.

View attachment 5069272

Yess! That´s what I wanted!

View attachment 5069273

I think i´m happy!
Beautiful! congratulations!
Sorry for the delay!!! Hadn’t seen many responses by the time I went to bed and so I forgot.

It’s actually not the triangle bag, it’s the medium bulb! In the soft yellow color. I realized the color actually went with a lot of my wardrobe, so I went for it and I’m glad I did. The bag is so easy and fluffy. I took out the knot that they tie the handle in and now the strap is extremely comfortable.

View attachment 5070258
Congratulations! I love the style and colour!
What is your Purse Comfort Zone? Please feel free to be as detailed or general as you like, and to add or skip categories.

Color: Black and purple are my main comfort zone. The smaller the bag the more comfortable I am with it being brighter (ex: small bright red bag). I’m also comfortable with metallics. Green and pink are edging their way into my comfort zone. I’m too paranoid about really light colors getting stains/color transfer to be comfortable with them.

Size: Mini (NOT Nano) to medium. Small is my favorite. Large bags make me look like a little girl carrying her mom’s purse. Not a great look… And I don’t want to carry around that much stuff/weight.

Brands: (for me, this means I don’t worry about the leather or craftsmanship) Bottega Veneta. Ferragamo. Balenciaga. The Row. Polene. Fount. Maison Margiela. Aspinal of London. Gucci. Behno. Coach.

Styles: Bucket bags. Camera bags. Small messenger bags. Satchels. Clutches.

Material: Calfskin. Goatskin/chevre. Lambskin. Patent leather. Not exotic leathers.

Hardware: Rainbow. Gunmetal. Silver. Getting better with gold, depending on the color of the bag.

Condition: New. Pre-loved: NWT, NWOT, Like New, Excellent.

Price: True comfort zone is under $1000, and under $500 makes me happy. A brand new premier brand style I really love, I’ll stretch to $2000. That is my hard limit on bag spending. My HG retail price was $2500.00, but I paid around $1500.00 – brand new, Black Friday Sale. My BV Campana, and Ferragamo may have been over $2000.00 retail, but I got them well under that, pre-loved.
Great question! I'll answer later!
I tend to lose money on resale, so I stopped consigning a few years aback and just started giving bags to family and friends who would use them. I chalked it up as the hefty cost of finding out what I liked ( I could have just pasted [USER=39610]@Vintage Leather post above on my forehead and saved the money :biggrin: ) and a lesson to be much more careful in the future. It’s an expensive lesson But it’s kept Me from impulse buys.
Great take away and I agree!
View attachment 5071171
I love taupe in spring. Matches the cork in these shoes and espadrilles too. I love rainbow hardware in spring because it glows so much pink and I wear a lot of pink in spring.
I love the hardware!
I just saw an article talking about the lack of “It” bags lately and asking if the era of “It” bags was over because social media has things/trends churning so fast now that nothing can slow burn or stay in the loop long enough to develop “It” bag status. So maybe there is nothing exciting out there...since I am not a trend girl, I couldn’t tell you. Or maybe it is a side effect of the overall ennui many have been experiencing, but that will pass as things normalize? Or maybe it is a shift in your way of life or thinking that will have some legs?

My advice...don’t make a big decision now and don’t buy that Chanel. Buying a bag you are not in love with before you even buy it will do nothing to help. And dumping items that normally used to make you happy when we are still living a jacked up life is reactionary at best and could leave you scrambling to replace the items you realize you DO love and sold at a higher price. Sit on it a bit and take some time to think and reflect first. I think we all feel some version of “stuck” right now that is larger than a bag collection.:smile:
Great advice!
@880 your anniversary cuff in your avatar is stunning! Congratulations! :yahoo:
Agreed! @880 your new cuff is stunning!
Talking about comfort zones helped me decide to take a step out of mine. But not completely. The color is very out of my comfort zone, and the style and hardware are at the very edge. But the size, price, material, and brand are well within my comfort zone. I'll post the bag once it arrives. Should be this week!
I can't wait to see what's coming!
I would de

I would definitely enjoy lunch with you! I totally get all this.
+1!
Hello everyone,
I'm catching up on everyone's posts. My kitty Velvet, got really sick again early Last week, and she passed away during a procedure Last Thursday. I'm heartbroken; I love her and I miss her so, so much. :sad:

I haven't bought anything purse-related in forever, and then in April I bought entirely too many things. You will note a certain (lack of) color scheme going here.

gray-april.JPG

I mentioned before that I wanted a small structured gray shoulder bag to replace the small gray crossbody I hadn't worn in years. So I spent a while looking at literally every gray bag under 1000 Euros in Vestiaire and Rebelle Europe. This was... not as fun as you would think.

I ended up with a Ted Baker bag, not luxury quality but feeling more modern than my other bags. Definitely at the lower range of bags that I looked at, as in the end I felt like I couldn't justify spending more without seeing a bag in person. I'll probably usually use the shoulder chain, but it also comes with a leather crossbody strap, which is nice.

I am madly in love with sparkletastic's Diorama, but I feel like it would wear me instead of the other way around. I found this wallet which is its own little jewel that other people only see when I choose.

The Longchamp Neo matches the Cuir I bought last summer. I wanted this then, but it was sold out and I settled for the Nordic Blue which is just not for me.

And the Rodo clutch, actually also silver but clearly warmer than the others, satisfies my love for the effect of the BV knot while being a bit out of the ordinary. (And an order of magnitude cheaper.) It's woven aluminum, with a sparkly silver interior and an optional chain.

As I was switching bags anyway, here's the current spill. Rather a mix of cheap and expensive items, .

baker-spill.JPG

• Silver clip hooked to the chain to hang the purse from a table; used these days to clip my mask to my purse.
  • Dark gray fabric bag holds sunglasses; the glasses and bag feature PNW Native American motifs
  • Striped fabric bag holds reading glasses; 5 Euros from a local bookstore
  • Diorama wallet
  • Red Calvi holds bandaids, wet wipes and painkillers
  • Green Calvi holds store cards
  • Jolly Roger* bag (from a "to give away" box on the street) holds gloves, hand sanitizer and extra masks
  • Long silver bag is an accessory to the Hermes Yeoh bag, holds umbrella and hand fan
There's usually a lot more color in my bag, and the Yeoh pouch is just a little too long for the purse, so I'll have to go play in my SLG drawer later.

*I'm a mile or so from the St Pauli stadium so Jolly Rogers are kind of ubiquitous here.

Hello everyone,
I'm catching up on everyone's posts. My kitty Velvet, got really sick again early Last week, and she passed away during a procedure Last Thursday. I'm heartbroken; I love her and I miss her so, so much.

I am so sorry for your loss of Velvet @keodi ! Am sending you virtual hugs and prayers!

I haven't bought anything purse-related in forever, and then in April I bought entirely too many things. You will note a certain (lack of) color scheme going

I am madly in love with sparkletastic's Diorama, but I feel like it would wear me instead of the other way around. I found this wallet which is its own little jewel that other people only see when I choose.

And the Rodo clutch, actually also silver but clearly warmer than the others, satisfies my love for the effect of the BV knot while being a bit out of the ordinary. (And an order of magnitude cheaper.) It's woven aluminum, with a sparkly silver interior and an optional chain.

@FizzyWater, love your color and metallic choices and your rationale!

I haven't bought anything purse-related in forever, and then in April I bought entirely too many things. You will note a certain (lack of) color scheme going here.

View attachment 5074222

I mentioned before that I wanted a small structured gray shoulder bag to replace the small gray crossbody I hadn't worn in years. So I spent a while looking at literally every gray bag under 1000 Euros in Vestiaire and Rebelle Europe. This was... not as fun as you would think.

I ended up with a Ted Baker bag, not luxury quality but feeling more modern than my other bags. Definitely at the lower range of bags that I looked at, as in the end I felt like I couldn't justify spending more without seeing a bag in person. I'll probably usually use the shoulder chain, but it also comes with a leather crossbody strap, which is nice.

The Longchamp Neo matches the Cuir I bought last summer. I wanted this then, but it was sold out and I settled for the Nordic Blue which is just not for me.

As I was switching bags anyway, here's the current spill. Rather a mix of cheap and expensive items, .

View attachment 5074265

• Silver clip hooked to the chain to hang the purse from a table; used these days to clip my mask to my purse.
  • Dark gray fabric bag holds sunglasses; the glasses and bag feature PNW Native American motifs
  • Striped fabric bag holds reading glasses; 5 Euros from a local bookstore
  • Diorama wallet
  • Red Calvi holds bandaids, wet wipes and painkillers
  • Green Calvi holds store cards
  • Jolly Roger* bag (from a "to give away" box on the street) holds gloves, hand sanitizer and extra masks
  • Long silver bag is an accessory to the Hermes Yeoh bag, holds umbrella and hand fan
There's usually a lot more color in my bag, and the Yeoh pouch is just a little too long for the purse, so I'll have to go play in my SLG drawer later.

*I'm a mile or so from the St Pauli stadium so Jolly Rogers are kind of ubiquitous here.

Love the Dior wallet! The Jolly Roger bag is adorable!

I have a couple Ted Baker bags and like that I don't feel the need to baby them like I do more expensive bags, and I don't mind wearing them in bad weather. It is a nice, modern design. Hope you enjoy it!

beautiful bag!

Very spring indeed! I love the strap!

Great advice. :heart:

She looks fantastic!

Lovely collection!

Great stats for April! and nice job in clearing items away!

:hugs:

Beautiful! congratulations!

Congratulations! I love the style and colour!

Great question! I'll answer later!

Great take away and I agree!

I love the hardware!

Great advice!

Agreed! @880 your new cuff is stunning!

I can't wait to see what's coming!

+1!
Hello everyone,
I'm catching up on everyone's posts. My kitty Velvet, got really sick again early Last week, and she passed away during a procedure Last Thursday. I'm heartbroken; I love her and I miss her so, so much. :sad:
I'm so sorry for your loss.