Prince Harry and Meghan Markle thread

Yes, totally right. And I bet Peter Philips is more qualified to sell milk than Harry is to give speeches on the environment. :hrmm:
I'm still waiting for H to give an impassioned (hypocritical) speech voicing his concern about the "avalanche of misinformation" in the digital world. I'm impressed that Sunshine managed to get him onto an authentic platform like Aspen without a silly title like Chimpo. If H makes the most of this opportunity and does not just rely on star power, he might begin to gain credibility. He has to start somewhere, and he doesn't have the advantage of heavy eye make-up, cosplay or moonbumps.

As I explained earlier I am not defending H&M at all...all I am saying is I don't understand the need to trash an entire organization just because they have something to do with it. It's not about them. It seems to me (from my admittedly limited knowledge) that this could be a good cause and I think it's a shame to "cancel" it because they happen to be involved in some way. That's it.
I totally understand your point. I wasn't trying to trash the event, nor cancel it. Hopefully, it did start from good intentions. With the way things are nowadays though, I've become more suspicious of everything because I don't know what's true or not any more since "news" is no longer unbiased, actual factual news. I'm not sure these celebrities truly care, or are trying to garner attention when times are tough even for them. Celebrities bring attention to causes, which is lovely, but when they start acting like experts is when they just need to sit down. Tweeting things to the NZ PM without actually researching the facts makes one look stupid. MM and JCMH jumping into this with zero knowledge of anything is annoying to me.

I feel very old. I miss the days when journalists were expected to check and verify sources and info. Consumers now expect instant info fed to them in easily digestible nuggets with quotable quotes.
Wonder if anyone is streaming All the President's Men
I have the dvd but I'm too lazy to hook up the player

Harry's wife wasn't there because I'm not sure if y'all heard or not? She's HEAVILY PREGNANT! :P

She could not have gone in person. Being pregnant, it’s highly unlikely she has taken the vaccine, and the bad press she would have gotten from attending in person, whilst pregnant would have been world wide news.

plus this way, she gets to pretape (rehearse) what she is going to say, alter lighting and filters to make herself look good and slap on a huge amount of makeup.

i am sure that it kills her she couldn’t be there in person clutching her bump in yet another Oscar worthy gown though....

Wonder if anyone is streaming All the President's Men
I have the dvd but I'm too lazy to hook up the player
It actually occurred to me to wonder if this was the divergent point. Bernstein and Woodward were relying on a single source Deep Throat, and NYT and WaPo were relying on their gut feel. It all worked out but it could have easily gone south if Deep Throat was a troll.

General question... do celebrities REALLY pay the retail price for designer outfits like that? I'm not talking about when it's comped, but when they actually have to buy it. Maybe it's just a different stratosphere of wealth that I can't fathom but how does anyone feel at ease paying even $7k for a one-time wear garment much less $75k?
Many celebrity stylists hire clothes, especially couture, for client appearances. Good press for the brand and the star.

However, it is my understanding that the royals are not allowed to accept promo hires or free products. They have the option to buy things, especially from British companies, with their clothing allowance.

I would assume she wanted to get the most expensive things to make a point that she’d made it after being a no name who had to go the premier in Armani jeans rather than prive her entire career.
Maybe she got the Ralph russo and the Givenchy at a discount. I think it’s kind of moot point really as the important part for her was the obedient press told everyone that her dress was worth that while insisting what a humble, revolutionary, compassionate woman she is :graucho:

Also rule number 1 of gold digging is 750k sounds a lot less when itsomeone else’s money ;)

I feel very old. I miss the days when journalists were expected to check and verify sources and info. Consumers now expect instant info fed to them in easily digestible nuggets with quotable quotes.

In today’s instant info world, no checks and balances, no verification for sources and info &, most worrying to me, there is no context provided, no perspective. So, someone in the BRF made a comment about skin color, but we aren‘t told who, the rest of the conversation, who heard the comment, etc. Without the context, credibility is lost. B&W spent considerable amount of time checking the facts, re-interviewing those involved. Why? They wanted to get the story right. They well understood recollections may vary. As you said, today instant info rules.

Last edited:
How noble is this cause?
My understanding, which could be wrong, is this was a show for healthcare workers. Who at this show would have the means to send vaccines to the countries that need it? We lil people cannot mail vaccines, can we?
Where o where are the billionaires, the powers-that be? It is all smoke and mirrors designed to fool the masses. Is it really a standing ovation if people are told to stand up? Really pretentious of Hazzie to use full title, no?
So, again, please tell me how noble is this cause?

ETA: Bill and Melinda are divorcing ???? :panic::panic:
To be fair to him, he didn’t add Duke Disney, Diana’s son or his CHIMPO title.
kind of restrained really :graucho:

I completely agree, it seems it be taken as a given that these glorified variety shows are an effective means of fundraising and we should be grateful or something when all the stats I’ve seen show they are acknowledged to be incredibly inefficient.
I have a hard time walking in any kind of heels even now and I'm in my late fifties. I look better in them than flats, but OMG, there's nothing on this this earth that would make me wear them for over a couple of hours max and there would have to be a darn good reason even then.... But holy mackerel, wearing a size bigger....:amazed: I'd be on my a**. If Meghan can actually do it, regardless of reason, I take my hat off to her tbh, but maybe she's a bit more driven than I ... :biggrin:
She got invaluable experience clomping around the yachts in Perspex pleasers JK

In today’s instant info world, no checks and balances, no verification for sources and info &, most worrying to me, there is no context provided, no perspective. Yes, someone in the BRF made a comment about skin color, but we aren‘t told who, the rest of the conversation, who heard the comment, etc. Without the context, credibility is lost. B&W spent considerable amount of time checking the facts, re-interviewing those involved. Why? They wanted to get the story right. They well understood recollections may vary. As you said, today instant info rules.
Yep, if you read the book and not just watch the movie, you'll realize that there was a lot of soul-searching. The two reporters spent a lot of time trying to verify what Deep Throat said - doing research sideways as it were.

I'm of the opinion that there was no comment about Archie's skin colour but there may very well be pondering of culture clash at the courtship stage, which is taken askew by Harry as meaning MM is black and won't fit in with the royalty's way of life. Harry was so eager to play her knight in shining armour against the media. He would have been equally vociferous with his own family after she had primed him with her victimhood tales.

The problem for a philanthropist is... COVID isn't the only disaster where aid will be needed. Next year, there could be another COVID-level event. Just like with financial investments, you usually don't want to put all your eggs in 1 basket to get the best returns (of course returns in this case being needed support long-term).

Talk is cheap but what else does H have? Anything they could donate is a drop in the bucket compared to how much they could fundraise if they donate their time to pool efforts together, like this event. Now I think it's obnoxious Harry's contribution is a speech so I'm really just defending actual artists donating performances.
I think the exact opposite is true. I think the amount these people get each from public donations is not a lot at all compared to what they could comfortably take from their own piggy banks.

But we all know what is really going on: giving say 750k is one news story.
WHEREAS giving a speech is one news story, then all the memes, then an article asking where your awful wife is, then an article about her pregnancy swelling/sickness etc, then a sponsored post about the clothes you wore, then an article about your body/hairline after Covid, then finally a puff piece announcing your passionate speech raised (and I’m being really generous here) a personal best of 300k donations...

Well doesn’t that 300k mean so much more than that 750k ever could?

Billionaires... or rappers. :biggrin: I JUST watched a video where someone asks Drake how much his outfit cost and the entire look head to toe was $975K! :wtf: He can definitely afford it though.

In case anyone's curious about Drake's outfit:

The vast majority of that is his Richard Mille watch and multiple carats of diamonds & you could argue they are investments/assets it’s not really the same as a single dress you wear once.

He thought his clothing, without shoes, was about 13k which is normal for high-end tailoring I’d have thought.
I’m sure Prince Charles’ saville row is about 10k a suit. Kate wears a mix of high end high street and designer. Plus the women get to borrow major jewellery. It’s not like they were forcing her to wear primark- she just had to take the mick as per usual.

Add on- brother is a watch head and I just remembered that Mille watch Drake is wearing is apparently really famous among the watch community for being a complex design and therefore ludicrously expensive even for Mille.

Last edited:
She could not have gone in person. Being pregnant, it’s highly unlikely she has taken the vaccine, and the bad press she would have gotten from attending in person, whilst pregnant would have been world wide news.

plus this way, she gets to pretape (rehearse) what she is going to say, alter lighting and filters to make herself look good and slap on a huge amount of makeup.

i am sure that it kills her she couldn’t be there in person clutching her bump in yet another Oscar worthy gown though....
I can’t help but wonder if she got cold feet at the thought a live audience packed with health workers might spot padding when they saw it? :biggrin:

It actually occurred to me to wonder if this was the divergent point. Bernstein and Woodward were relying on a single source Deep Throat, and NYT and WaPo were relying on their gut feel. It all worked out but it could have easily gone south if Deep Throat was a troll.

...although as you stated later they took great pains to confirm everything with other sources before publishing.

Which is what legitimate investigative journalists still do. But today we have opinion masquerading as news, without any checks and balances. Sort of like this thread ;)

I guess for me the difference is I don’t expect an entertainment personality, like Oprah, to function like Christiane Amanpour.

What I find more troubling is the divisiveness...when we retreat to our “sides” and automatically dismiss whatever the “other” is saying simply because “they” are saying it.

I would hate to promote vaccine refusal because two would be celebrities are involved with an event...we literally have a “news” personality supporting anti vaxers because he doesn’t like the messenger ("Some creepy old guy telling your children, your little kids to take medicine whose effects we do not fully understand.")

That worries me a lot more than anything a former actress and her ex pat husband do to extend their 15 minutes.