What’s your unpopular LV opinion?

• Thread starter MagpieInTraining
  • Start date
Bull, Coated canvas is still canvas, not plastic, regardless of coating. Just like M&Ms are still chocolate candy and not hard candy, regardless of the coating. LVs still have the same canvas base they have always had, even if the coating material and consistency have changed over the years. That’s why it is, and has always been, described as COATED CANVAS, regardless of brand...not PVC or whatever else was used to coat the material over the last 100+ years.

This seems like an argument of semantics. Whether we call it plastic or canvas, it's definitely not worth the price. You can buy cotton canvas at any fabric store for dollars a yard.

Bull, Coated canvas is still canvas, not plastic, regardless of coating. Just like M&Ms are still chocolate candy and not hard candy, regardless of the coating. LVs still have the same canvas base they have always had, even if the coating material and consistency have changed over the years. That’s why it is, and has always been, described as COATED CANVAS, regardless of brand...not PVC or whatever else was used to coat the material over the last 100+ years.
This is just wordplay. Saying that it is not plastic is a falsehood, since half of it is PVC. Just like saying that it is just plastic would also be a hard exaggeration, because half of the material is cotton. Your analogy is very good, since M&Ms are not chocolate, but chocolate candies. The candy part is very important too.
The original post had problem with the plastic coating being a cheap material, that doesn't worth the price. I personally disagree, since it is and can be high quality, and its value is derived from its history, not the just material cost. But she was right, that the canvas is indeed coated in a material that can feel cheap to most people.

This seems like an argument of semantics. Whether we call it plastic or canvas, it's definitely not worth the price. You can buy cotton canvas at any fabric store for dollars a yard.
While this is true, you could buy very good quality leather for MUCH cheaper too. We aren’t paying for anything substantial with luxury shopping at the end of the day. Just for brand name, style, a better promise for quality craftsmanship (hopefully), the after sale service and the history perhaps. Thinking that all the $$$ is better if it is leather but not so if it is cotton coated in plastic isn't that logical either, because not all luxury leather are special or of extra ordinary quality.

Last edited:
While this is true, you could buy very good quality leather for MUCH cheaper too. We aren’t paying for anything substantial with luxury shopping at the end of the day. Just for brand name, style, a better promise for quality craftsmanship (hopefully), the after sale service and the history perhaps. Thinking that all the $$$ is better if it is leather but not so if it is cotton coated in plastic isn't that logical either, because not all luxury leather are special or of extra ordinary quality.

I mean, I agree with you. That's why I don't have luxury bags at all and also why I don't purchase from Louis Vuitton.

But, I was responding to a comment about coated canvas, so I didn't talk about leather. That's the only reason I didn't mention it.

I will say, the one leather item I have that seems worth the price is my Gucci Guccissima wallet. But that's beside the point :amuse: That leather is thick and beautiful. I have never seen anything similar at Louis Vuitton.

This is definitely going to be an unpopular opinion and probably not the right place to post about it but I'm going to be honest...

I'm over LV completely.
- The price for canvas coated bags - lets be honest, its plastic... I can't. I think this is the biggest problem for me.
- I think people are mostly drawn to LV and their canvas bags because it's some of the most 'affordable' products in the luxury world, not really because of the actual design/functionality. People are buying INTO the luxury world with these LV pieces.
- with the amount of bags they release every year, it doesn't really feel luxury to me anymore. It's the same as going onto the Michael Kors website with new lots of bags each season (or seemingly multiple launches in each season?). In my opinion, they aren't making truly timeless pieces anymore, they're just pumping out multiple bags, giving them to influencers to increase the hype. Luxury brands shouldnt need to send their bags to influencers to sell them, I find it to be cheesy.
- with the problems in quality, glazing issues, crooked bags - I don't feel that there is true luxury craftsmanship. I think they are mass produced and we are being sold on what LV used to be - not what it is in reality anymore.

I've sold most of my LV bags and kept my travel pieces, and have moved on to buying quality, leather bags with minimalistic, timeless designs (for less $). I completely understand this opinion may not be well received on this page, but I hope you can respect my opinion. I still root for everybody who loves these products and gets joy from them, but from now on I will be admiring from afar, living vicariously through others and keeping my $ in my wallet.

I hope I can reach your stage soon. I am still into LV canvas bags as they are lightest, durable, yet still functional to my needs.
But still expensive for canvas bags. I used to like leather items, but fine leather goods are easy to wear off, and heavy too plus I want to protect animals.
However, I hope I am over LV too, I don't like my addictions, it drains my energy.

My favorite LV was a limited edition black and white Stephen sprouse collaboration. I still have one long alma, known as the knitting needle alma. It was not as popular as the Japanese pastel murakami, but it has gorgeous heavy hardware and beautiful design. I used to buy the LV coated canvas in special edition NF, but I found Goyard to be lighter and more collapsible which is more appealing to me in a bag of this type.

I adore M&Ms but they literally are chocolate candy as distinct from chocolate (I remember reading a book about Hershey and M&M Mars, and I vaguely remember that there was a distinction kind of like chocolate flavored candy/confection). I don’t see a problem with plastic coated canvas. I also wish LV produced more pieces in graphite Damien and mono. I saw a large trunk (a s a piece of furniture) at the LV showroom in graphite monogram for 54K. Also some bookshelves (pics below) . I liked some of the furniture but won’t think they’re worth LV markup.
B10D23D8-F6A7-47A2-8402-6E1D97D55014.jpegFCC10A0C-83AF-4022-80DA-DAD81FE50C49.jpeg

Last edited:
The original, petit and bb noé bags are beautiful, classic shapes to me. However I showed my husband a picture of the large neonoé I’ve been lusting after, which seems more practical; and he said it reminds him of a testicle, which I now can’t unsee :sad:

Also had my eye on one of the little neonoé bags in colourful epi leather, but the colour combinations don’t please my eye at all, apart from the indigo and Galet ones aren’t too garish - but ideally I wanted something brighter!

The original, petit and bb noé bags are beautiful, classic shapes to me. However I showed my husband a picture of the large neonoé I’ve been lusting after, which seems more practical; and he said it reminds him of a testicle, which I now can’t unsee :sad:

Also had my eye on one of the little neonoé bags in colourful epi leather, but the colour combinations don’t please my eye at all, apart from the indigo and Galet ones aren’t too garish - but ideally I wanted something brighter!

lol! I love my Noe GM...must be because I grab life by the balls! :lol:

Could just be my old school mentality but I feel there's been so many variations of the monogram/logo that it's no longer a fun novelty? I just about expect the next release to feature a giant logo somewhere in some colour variation. Is it a case of keeping up with the fast uptake of new stuff thanks to social media etc?

I remember my old colleague and I being blown away by the display for the Robert Wilson vernis bags back in the day. S&*t like that only happened twice a year :biggrin: Now it's almost routine.

Side note - I would have only considered the pochette in pink. That collection was briiiiiiight!

Attachments

• 4860763_master.jpg
    4860763_master.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 17

One of my very close friends keeps telling me my néonoé is ugly because it looks like a teabag. Slightly less offensive but still quite harsh... Now I tease him whenever I wear it that he‘ll have to cope with seeing the teabag-bag again :cool:

I only like & use the Neverful. Why? It’s the only lightweight, functional bag that I find comfortable to use & carry. I no longer carry leather or anything heavier than canvas or nylon. It’s not always about affordability: a lot of people have mobility &/or other disability issues. I, myself, travel a lot for work and I have two different forms of arthritis that make the extra weight a real nightmare sometimes*.

*I once went to Quebec City with a Chloe Shelby tote & was so frustrated & in so much pain that I was close to tossing it in the garbage at the airport. It’s been in a closet ever since.

ETA: Now in lieu of buying all the new releases of this bag or that, I‘ve just started collecting the LE versions of the NF.