Would you get the Hermes x Apple AirTag?

Reactions: zzzman
I bought a 4 pack of AirTags today but I'm hesitant on the Hermes version. I want the key ring to be smaller and more compact. If the strap connecting the AirTag to the Key

I picked up the luggage tag version. I’m really not clear on the ‘point’ of it beyond bragging rights (I agree that such a device is better concealed within the bag)… but it sure looks smart?
View attachment 5074533
I sound unconvinced… but I’m not :lol: I’m very happy to have a new Barenia thing to buckle onto my oldest Barenia thing!

I picked up the luggage tag version. I’m really not clear on the ‘point’ of it beyond bragging rights (I agree that such a device is better concealed within the bag)… but it sure looks smart?
View attachment 5074533

So technically the point of others being able to notice the AirTag is so that they can then use their device to read it (including Android phones - they can read it as an NFC chip) and if you have set your tag to “lost mode”, you can add a message that will pop up when it’s read. The intention is that the person who found it reads your message (which can be, say, how to contact you) which helps to return it to you. It’s kinda like one of those luggage tags where you write down your information - the goal is the same (the person who finds it can see the information to return your luggage to you).

Obviously this has a big requirement which is that the person who finds it will do that…and I somehow doubt that everyone in the world would be that nice especially if they know it’s an Hermès tag…and further if it’s on top of an Hermès bag…

In short, I’d say the Hermès version is just a bag charm.:P I don’t think that’s a bad deal though especially in Barenia!

So technically the point of others being able to notice the AirTag is so that they can then use their device to read it (including Android phones - they can read it as an NFC chip) and if you have set your tag to “lost mode”, you can add a message that will pop up when it’s read. The intention is that the person who found it reads your message (which can be, say, how to contact you) which helps to return it to you. It’s kinda like one of those luggage tags where you write down your information - the goal is the same (the person who finds it can see the information to return your luggage to you).

Obviously this has a big requirement which is that the person who finds it will do that…and I somehow doubt that everyone in the world would be that nice especially if they know it’s an Hermès tag…and further if it’s on top of an Hermès bag…

In short, I’d say the Hermès version is just a bag charm.:P I don’t think that’s a bad deal though especially in Barenia!
Apple uses other Apple product users only to help you locate/pinpoint your airtag - the surrounding Apple products ping off your AirTag which helps you locate it. I don't see it the same as a bag charm or luggage tag. As far as I have researched, other Apple users aren't notified of your lost AirTag.

Apple uses other Apple product users only to help you locate/pinpoint your airtag - the surrounding Apple products ping off your AirTag which helps you locate it. I don't see it the same as a bag charm or luggage tag. As far as I have researched, other Apple users aren't notified of your lost AirTag.

No this is specifically about the point of having a visible (not hidden) AirTag - the point is to have others see it and if they know what it is they can pull out their phone and scan it. If the owner had set that tag to “lost mode” it will show a message that the owner had set - which could be like “if found contact me at XXX”

This is a separate function from apple using other Apple devices to tell owner where the AirTag is.

76C22683-952F-4D98-ACBC-BCE4EB733588.jpeg

CB109862-79A4-458A-9AA3-0DBD42C6F27B.jpeg

No this is specifically about the point of having a visible (not hidden) AirTag - the point is to have others see it and if they know what it is they can pull out their phone and scan it. If the owner had set that tag to “lost mode” it will show a message that the owner had set - which could be like “if found contact me at XXX”

This is a separate function from apple using other Apple devices to tell owner where the AirTag is.

View attachment 5075844

View attachment 5075850
Ah! Gotcha :drinks:

Reactions: momoc
One more bit of info on the Air Tag - it requires two factor security authentication be turned on in your Apple account. And once you turn it on, after two weeks go by you can’t ever turn it off. I used to work in IT, I’m very aware of the security increase from that tech, but it is a giant pita (pain in the A** :biggrin:) it’s part of the reason I didn’t want an Apple Card, as it’s required for that - if you are tech support in your household and every time a device is added, updated, etc. you have to redo all the authenticating. I didn’t do my research, got the lovely barenia bag charm, opened to set up, first message I saw was “requires end to end encryption“ so I knew at that point two factor was required. It’s already repacked and ready to go back to Apple!! Just an FYI for anyone thinking of air tags H or no. The bag charm was lovely and oh that Barenia! but not worth the $ for this particular charm I know at some point sooner than later two factor will get me in order to use certain functions, this wasn’t it. HTH everyone’s H items are lovely.

Reactions: Cali2HI
@DrTr fwiw I've had 2FA on my Apple account for a few years now and even manage a family plan with remote family members (and require them to have it). I agree it's a bit heavy to setup, but once done, it's actually not inhibited our use or been painful at all. I encourage you to re-explore setting it up just for your own personal data protection, since losing an iPhone has can be as serious (or more so) than a wallet these days :flowers:

@DrTr fwiw I've had 2FA on my Apple account for a few years now and even manage a family plan with remote family members (and require them to have it). I agree it's a bit heavy to setup, but once done, it's actually not inhibited our use or been painful at all. I encourage you to re-explore setting it up just for your own personal data protection, since losing an iPhone has can be as serious (or more so) than a wallet these days :flowers:
Thanks for the encouragement duggi84 and for the gentle nudge, know you are spot on! The Air Tag was more for the Barenia than the tag :P but there are many H goodies yet!

Reactions: duggi84