Best timeless casual designer shoulder bag?

beebee79

Jul 13, 2014
I’m no bag aficionado; I’m too cheap for that. But over the years I’ve collected a lot of bargain- or moderately-priced bags that I use only one season because they either go out of style quickly or look prematurely beat up, which frustrates me to no end. The bag I’ve used the most over the years is my trusty LV Neverfull, which looks amazingly new considering how much I’ve used it. I’ve reconciled myself to the idea of adding another *sturdy and timeless* designer bag to my line-up. Since I already have a tote, what I want this time around is a small, lightweight, everyday shoulder bag that I can take grocery shopping and on play dates.

My nightmare scenario would be spending big $$$ on a super trendy bag or brand that goes out of style in a couple years. I’ve listed a few bags that I have my eye on, and would love an opinion from the experts who can better predict what will still be a tried-and-true classic five years down the line. Any thoughts, please??? I’m also open to suggestions not listed (budget up to $2500).

Gucci Jackie 1961: My frontrunner at the moment. I used to love the Jackie bag back in the day and have always regretted not getting one. I love that it has an extra strap so you can carry it either as a shoulder bag or crossbody. But I’m afraid it might be too trendy.

Prada Cleo: Another bag that makes me nostalgic for the old days. I can definitely envision myself using this a lot because it looks so simple and casual and lightweight... but part of me thinks it might look too simple.

Gucci Soho Disco: I think this is really cute and the perfect balance between being able to hold lots of things without being too large. However, I would probably want to carry it as a shoulder bag rather than crossbody, and I worry that the strip might be too long.

Prada Saffiano tote: This seems like a better bag to take to work than to run errands. My job is 95% remote, so I’m not sure it’s the right fit for me. But it’s so pretty and I can’t help eyeing it.

LV Alma BB: Another contender for “This doesn’t seem like an everyday bag for my lifestyle, but boy is it cute.” Also, this silhouette is as timeless as it gets, so I could be convinced to go this direction.

LV NeoNoe: I like how casual this bag is, but I’m not 100% sold on bucket bags. Again, I might be convinced to go this route if it’s timeless.

If neverfull works for you, then Speedy B would. Perhaps in DE? Because there's no vachetta, it's going to look the same in 50 years as it does now and it's more timeless than a Neonoe, IMO.

Reactions: Yuki85
LV Alma bb, , YSL Sac de Jour, Loewe Puzzle bag. I own the Gucci Disco and love it, but it is better as a crossbody, than a shoulder bag. You could wear it for brief moments as a shoulder bag.

Thanks, that is really helpful to know as I’d strongly prefer a shoulder bag rather than crossbody.

I appreciate everyone for taking the time to reply thoughtfully! I’ve been reading and considering each reply. I don’t know how I missed out on speedy, but it’s now on the top of my list, along with Alma BB and others mentioned here.

And I get the point about not caring about trends, but I think I have to be honest about my shortcomings and say I would care if my outfit and accessories made me look like I haven’t updated them since 2015. Of course I know it’s entirely possible to look of the moment while carrying a cute bag from a few seasons ago. So it is something I’m keeping in mind.

• Haha
Reactions: americandreaming
And I get the point about not caring about trends, but I think I have to be honest about my shortcomings and say I would care if my outfit and accessories made me look like I haven’t updated them since 2015. Of course I know it’s entirely possible to look of the moment while carrying a cute bag from a few seasons ago. So it is something I’m keeping in mind.
The only way to do this is go for non heavily branded styles, no obvious hardware and monogram. Plain but great leathers. Maybe consider Ferragamo, Givenchy (Antigona), Celine (eg. box bag) and YSL as well. I would discourage the Speedy. Every 2nd woman has one. Consider vintage Chanel, it lasts longer than bags made in the last 10 years and has better leathers and Gold plating HW.
Pick a colour and just search a site like Yoogies closet and see what brands they have.

I have the same dilemma right now, same budget. Im trying to decide between a new LV (I like the ponthieu or a monogram beaubourg) or a pre-loved Chanel classic.
It’s been a haaaard quarantine and mama needs self-gift!!

Buy what you want.
For all the styles you've listed - I'd probably look for a mid range/contemporary/second hand/rental option for the bags you're most likely to go for, try them out and then make a decision. That way you can see what works for you the best and make an informed decision.
Since you mentioned Jackie first; I think Jackie is timeless. Hobos might have been trending for a while there, but new things come and go. Just like hobo bags come and go every 3-5 yrs. A hobo is a style that has been lurking in the background all the time anyways and you won't look out of place carrying one even after the trend is long gone. Just like a basic crossbody or a tote.

If a bag is trendy or not is irrelevant IMO - the trendy bags tend to be ones people get just for the sake of it, not because the specific bag style or bag works for them. If you like a bag that is trendy right now and think it works for you in the long run, I don't think you should worry about other people carrying the same bag. It'll die down soon enough and the trend following folks will have other things to buy.

Reactions: americandreaming