Do you think LV resale is affected by new Micro chip authentication

After reading most of the comments here, the microchip only protects LV returns/exchanges are not counterfeit, but not protecting resell market. Also, not for their online customers, imagine you buy an item that is not from a boutique where a microchip scanner is available, will you go to the store to scan for authenticity? I bought all LV items from their website, won't be able to go to a store for scanning, also they won't scan for me right?

After reading most of the comments here, the microchip only protects LV returns/exchanges are not counterfeit, but not protecting resell market. Also, not for their online customers, imagine you buy an item that is not from a boutique where a microchip scanner is available, will you go to the store to scan for authenticity? I bought all LV items from their website, won't be able to go to a store for scanning, also they won't scan for me right?
There's no reason for LV to protect the resell market in general is there? I think part of the reason why they made this move is to discourage the resale market apart from their appointed reselling channels (if any).

It takes knowledge away from the buyer. Besides using date codes for authentication. I have read many threads where others identify known quality issues or changes in construction based on date codes.

There's no reason for LV to protect the resell market in general is there? I think part of the reason why they made this move is to discourage the resale market apart from their appointed reselling channels (if any).
Spot on!
Funny how Hermès uses those very vague codes, no one bats an eye. LV does mess with their more detailed and transparent codes, everyone loses their minds :smile:

Years of looking at dozens of LV styles and bags that have come and gone on to be vintage have made me pretty confident in identifying a fake from an authentic. I personally love the traditional date code, as it's a physical, tangible "mark" which reminds me via a quick glance of how old or what year I acquired the item. From now on, this will no longer exist, so I guess I will have to go thru stacks of receipts to remind me when my newer things became part of my collection. This date code was also a way I felt reassured when shopping on resale sites like FP. To think that if I buy a pre-loved item, then take it to the store to confirm it's authenticity...it isn't exactly convenient... it will be viewed as a nuisance, as I'm sure the sales associates won't be thrilled to be doing this !! They want to sell you the shiny new, $$$$ stuff, not do you a favor to reinforce your shopping habits on a reseller's secondary site !!!

I'm not sure how many LVs I'll be buying in the future, but I always buy preloved cos I can't afford new. (It's not like I have loads, anyway. I have a Josephine Mini Lin PM and just bought a Mahina Amelia wallet today). And there isn't a LV store near me. The closest one is in ATL at Lenox Square Mall ... and tbh, there have been a lot of shootings there lately which makes me afraid to go there now! :shocked: And Lenox was a very boujee mall!

Personally I am attracted to the Date codes. There is something about knowing when a bag was around. I'd love to have a bag back from June 91 when I graduated high school. Or 1999 when I started my career. I don't find a scan code all that special. If I did buy on the resale market I am not going to take the bag in to be authenticated. And it sounds like the app isn't going to show the true history of the bag anyway. I'd rather have my little date codes and feel a connection to the history of the bag.

I like being able to know, as well, especially since I only buy preloved. For instance, it was nice to be able to tell that the wallet I bought today was made in March, 2008, so it's considered vintage by today's standards.

Last edited:
That's not very good for the environment.
Well, no matter how they treat the second-hand market, it has no correlation with their speed of producing new bags. And they need to make more and more and more all the time. It is not Louis Vuitton, it is just basic capitalism. If they wouldn't be like that, they wouldn't survive the decade. Of course, they can pull off some BS like Burberry and Prada with their eco-canvases, but those are just as environmentally conscious as a coal plant.

That's not very good for the environment.
Fast fashion is even worse for the environment to be honest. And for those that are saying that they prefer date codes because they only buy preloved - well then you're not LV's customer at all so they really won't care about you and your preference for date codes. Don't get me wrong, I also buy pre-owned at times but I'm also cognizant that these purchases require due diligence beyond just looking at date codes, so an item not having one isn't a deal breaker for me.

Fast fashion is even worse for the environment to be honest.
They produce in higher volumes, so in that regard, yes. But fun fact: Hermès, LVHM and Kering all scored lower than Zara or H&M on the big independent eco-checks. Their production is even more wasteful than theirs. Which is embarassing.

They produce in higher volumes, so in that regard, yes. But fun fact: Hermès, LVHM and Kering all scored lower than Zara or H&M on the big independent eco-checks. Their production is even more wasteful than theirs. Which is embarassing.
Yes I've seen that before! I think fast fashion is in the crosshairs much more than the luxury houses and due to the massive volume they are producing, they tend to also be more aware of the ecological footprint they are producing. Certainly agree that these luxury houses should do better too.

Not surprised. Think about it, LV canvas needs to line up perfectly/ almost perfectly so of course there will be more waste. With leather bags, I’m sure they discard a lot of hide due to natural imperfections. With fast fashion, those kind of details aren’t addressed.

Not surprised. Think about it, LV canvas needs to line up perfectly/ almost perfectly so of course there will be more waste. With leather bags, I’m sure they discard a lot of hide due to natural imperfections. With fast fashion, those kind of details aren’t addressed.
Yes, exactly. And while they call it 'coated canvas', they never what is it coated with. And that 'what' is actually PCV, the mother of all plastics.

I visited LV this past weekend; a mess but it is what it is. The line was long, the wait even longer and it was appointment only so if you wanted to look around, you had to have an appointment. By the time DH and I went in, it was more than an hour after my appointment time, my assigned SA was who knows where and so, I looked around. A lot. As was just about every person there. Imagine a store with many people and they're looking and looking and trying on but not buying. That was what we experienced. They had NOTHING I was looking for in stock. Lots of the leather, little canvas (no slgs save a few card holders and wallets), no they couldn't get XYZ because it's OOS everywhere. No, we can't get ABC because it's HOT and therefore, OOS everywhere. Ready to wear and jewelry, scarves....no problem. In the end, I bought nothing. I DID ask about the chip; can I bring in a item to have it checked for the chip? No, was the answer. Will you show me where the chip is on the item I've purchased? No, was the answer. Can you always find the chip should a person return the bag? No, because they're not placed in the same place each time. Ok. Thank you. Good bye.

I'm thinking anyone could purchase a bag and then return a fake in it's place with all the real paperwork, box, etc based on what I was told. I've spoken with a few others (different forums and friends) and they're starting to wonder if LV gives a poot about them and their money possibly being spent on a fake? Look, I don't know anyone except a fool who is going to spend money on something and NOT care if it's the real deal especially if they spent top dollar. I can see this being a way to really slow down resellers but I'll be honest, hearing those SA's tell me all those "No's" did NOT give me warm fuzzies about purchasing the new items from LV either. Maybe it's just me.