Choosing VCA over Rolex

I recommend visiting a watch store with a lot of brands to get a sense of what you like, how it works with your style, your wardrobe, what brands are out there, and what will look good.

I have thin wrists, so to compensate I like a slightly oversized look rather than a smaller face for an even more feminine look.

Here’s a bit of my watch journey if it helps you make the decision. Most of my watches complement my VCA collection and my wardrobe since they’re more on the feminine side in terms of style. I have one that’s a bit more masculine (Panerai), but I waited until they came out with a smaller size. Then I replaced a brown leather watch strap with a purple gator one.

I don’t wear watches simply for their function. They serve a jewelry purpose so I don’t feel compelled to get the traditional brands or models. I don’t often stack VCA bracelets with my watch for this reason. I like when it stands on its own as spectacular.

I generally opt for more understated brands across my entire wardrobe, so Rolex wasn’t the first place I looked. Although I like the look of some Rolex models, I haven’t purchased one yet. I have Cartier, Dior, and Bedat. Contemplating JLC, Breuget, AP, or Patek for the future. I tend to prefer specific styles within each brand.

Take time with a purchase like this and enjoy the search. It’s like deciding between wedding cake vendors. So many delicious and sweet options. If you liked Longines, also look at Frederique Constant.

I know that wearing a big watch is a trend now but I really can't carry this trend. I like wearing dresses to work and when I am just out and about, sometimes I wear skirt, pants, you can call that smart casual style. I do like some styles from Cartier but their price is off-putting because for a 18k watch with leather strap with quartz movement, they charge the same price as a Rolex mechanic movement watch. For me, I won't spend that amount on a quartz movement watch. Yes, I know there are mechanic movement from Cartier but a blogger once mentioned that they cannot tell time accurately So I forget about Cartier. Thanks for mentioning Bedat, I quite like their watches.

I have visited Frederique Constant's website and the styles look too similar to Breguet's style and I just cannot get the word 'copy' out of my mind. Now, my mind just stuck with the Rolex watch that I tried on the first time I visited their store. The price is good, and it is a rose gold with steel in oyster bracelet with chocolate dial and roman numeral markers.

I think I need to go to Omega to try on the Ladymatic but I am afraid it is too large for my wrists.

I was taught to choose a brand that specialized in certain products, for example, if a brand originally is a watch maker then I will choose that brand rather than choosing a watch from a fashion house even it is from Hermes, Hermes is famous for their leather goods so I won't choose to buy a watch from Hermes.

There are so many things to think about that makes me feel so comfortable with my Swatch now. I know I am too lazy to find something to buy :sleepy:

I know
Thank you for your comforting words. It's true that I don't pay attention to my watch. I started looking for a new one because I would like to stack my watch with vca 5 motif bracelet. Also, a watch gets most used as I wear my watch every day. Thinking about cost per wear, it does sound like getting a watch is the best option. I also think about getting a 10 motif necklace but now I changed my mind. I don't think I would wear a 10 motif to work. After a lot of calculating thoughts, I would skip 10 motif, 20 motif and lotus earrings as I won't wear them to work. so for work, a watch, bracelet, some earrings and a single motif necklace will do. I will just leave 10 motif, 20 motif and lotus earrings to the last. But for 16 motif rose gold long necklace, this I might add, the motifs are just add the right amount of shine to any outfits.
I know exactly what you mean! The practical aspect is the reason why I havent looked into the pieces with a lot of motifs.

Good luck on your watch purchase! Take some time to think it over, as it is a large purchase after all!

Reactions: eletons
I had to laugh when you said "is there something wrong with me or with the watch?" Neither!! :smile: You just don't like Rolex watches.

But I wonder if maybe you're just not a watch person as much as you are a jewelry person? Since you've worn your functional Swatch for so long maybe a watch inherently won't feel as special to you as jewelry like your VCA does? Just one thought. Get whatever feels special and luxurious to you, because you're paying for it!
+1
@eletons, I would wear your swatch and keep looking eventually you will find the perfect one! There are plenty out there within your budget. Preloved may also be a way to go as many luxury brands drop massively in value on the preloved market. watchfinders (I believe is part owned by the Richmont Group); Tourneau; and I think many watch forums recommend preloved watch sites.

Reactions: eletons
+1
@eletons, I would wear your swatch and keep looking eventually you will find the perfect one! There are plenty out there within your budget. Preloved may also be a way to go as many luxury brands drop massively in value on the preloved market. watchfinders (I believe is part owned by the Richmont Group); Tourneau; and I think many watch forums recommend preloved watch sites.

For jewelry, watch and luxury items, I am quite OCD about it and avoid buying pre-owned, especially for watches, I need full warranty, like I need 2 or 5 year full warranty to feel safe to purchase.

When it comes to inexpensive items like my vintage bone china teacups, I just buy pre-loved pre-covid period.

Yes, I am wearing my swatch everyday. I am in no hurry since I got so many items on my wishlist, I intend to add them slowly. :smile:

• Love
Reactions: 880
Lol, i am the same.. i think i am not a watch person. I get bored thinking of wearing the same watch years down.. like rolex or cartier.. audemars is nice but too off budget!

I think i am just a jewelry gal.. for work, i like my Olivia Burton watches haha

@eletons I read your post through and I totally understand where your coming from-watches are very personable and must have meaning for you. I used to(in my very younger days , wear 2 swatch watches on the same wrist, at the same time! They both held meaning for me and I could not decide which one to wear over the other.). Im sorry to hear you wont consider going through the reseller route (though I wouldnt normally advocate this for a watch but!) there are two on FP I will point out that I believe have meaning- one is the VCA Pierre Arpel 38mm in RG , its actually a mechanical watch (but they listed it as quartz) and has a small diamond crown, (though they dont mention it) and I believe it has a Piaget movement! This is the closest to the original 1949 design- small, clean, simple lines, no flash. Though its really a men’s watch, (though listed on the site in women's) it could be a unisex watch and I think because its not really popular its priced far below the msrp. Here is a link to the VCA website to get an idea: https://www.vancleefarpels.com/us/e...-rose-gold-diamond.html#group=nogroup&photo=0
The other pre loved recommendation on the same site is the SS ( they listed it as 18k but its not-they did correct that mistake on the site)Breguet Reine de Naples, (one of my all time favorite designs)an automatic watch and below msrp!
Im not a collector(only have/wear one watch atm that I love to pieces) but my hubby got me interested in watches and so I took it upon myself to read articles online. I hope this helps and best of luck!:flowers:

Last edited:
Lol, i am the same.. i think i am not a watch person. I get bored thinking of wearing the same watch years down.. like rolex or cartier.. audemars is nice but too off budget!

I think i am just a jewelry gal.. for work, i like my Olivia Burton watches haha

I think it's good to have one or two nice watches especially if you wear a watch everyday. I wear mine everyday so I think it's time to add a nice watch.

Even though Rolex is well recognised, I think there are still low-key designs from this brand. As for Cartier, the designs I like are having quartz movement so I just forget about it. AP is too large for my wrist. I want a 26, 28 mm watch not more than 30 mm.

Thanks for your response.

@eletons I read your post through and I totally understand where your coming from-watches are very personable and must have meaning for you. I used to(in my very younger days , wear 2 swatch watches on the same wrist, at the same time! They both held meaning for me and I could not decide which one to wear over the other.). Im sorry to hear you wont consider going through the reseller route (though I wouldnt normally advocate this for a watch but!) there are two on FP I will point out that I believe have meaning- one is the VCA Pierre Arpel 38mm in RG , its actually a mechanical watch (but they listed it as quartz) and has a small diamond crown, (though they dont mention it) and I believe it has a Piaget movement! This is the closest to the original 1949 design- small, clean, simple lines, no flash. Though its really a men’s watch, (though listed on the site in women's) it could be a unisex watch and I think because its not really popular its priced far below the msrp. Here is a link to the VCA website to get an idea: https://www.vancleefarpels.com/us/e...-rose-gold-diamond.html#group=nogroup&photo=0
The other pre loved recommendation on the same site is the SS ( they listed it as 18k but its not-they did correct that mistake on the site)Breguet Reine de Naples, (one of my all time favorite designs)an automatic watch and below msrp!
Im not a collector(only have/wear one watch atm that I love to pieces) but my hubby got me interested in watches and so I took it upon myself to read articles online. I hope this helps and best of luck!:flowers:
Yes, they're nice watches. They're too large for my wrist. I avoid second hand watches because they are a moving object. If they lose their function of telling time, I need to get it fixed so the maintenance fee needs to be considered when buying one. I have never had a mechanic watch so I am taking my time to think it through.

Thank you for your information about the watches. :smile:

Hello everyone. I have a question to ask. Yesterday I went to Rolex detail store to look at some watches (mainly 28 mm watches with oyster bracelet). When I was trying them on, I did not have that excitement as I have with my VCA pieces. Is there something wrong with me or with the watches? I have been wearing my Swatch watch for a few years and I don't know why, a Rolex feels the same as the Swatch watch that I am having now (or at least when I put them on, I feel the same).

I want to have a nice watch to match with my VCA (I am not sure how people view someone who has VCA and match them with a Swatch watch). But I can't seem to find something that sings to me like a VCA piece does. Yes, I know VCA also has watches but they don't show the time clearly and I have to have a time piece that tells the time because of my job (a watch having a marker) but the VCA time piece has no marker. That's why I can't buy a VCA watch for practical reasons.

Yes, I have considered Cartier but can't find something that is nice. Omega? (I don't like the bracelet)

Do you have any suggestion as to how to solve this issue? I want to have a watch that tells the time and looks elegant and work well with my VCA pieces. I cannot wear a watch larger than 28mm or 31 mm as I have small wrists (having 8 links removed for VCA 5 motifs is still loose for me). If you have brands to recommend, I will be happy to go to the stores to try them on.

Or do you think I can stick to my Swatch? I like it but it looks pretty off with VCA pieces.

Thank you for your time!
Have a look at Tag Heuer watches. I have Aquaracer in silver and gold with diamonds instead of the numbers on the display. Such a gorgeous piece and waterproof as well (you can dive up to 300m with it. Not that I’m planning to lol).
9985B530-0CAC-4286-885B-1CD2483DAF84.jpeg

Have a look at Tag Heuer watches. I have Aquaracer in silver and gold with diamonds instead of the numbers on the display. Such a gorgeous piece and waterproof as well (you can dive up to 300m with it. Not that I’m planning to lol).
View attachment 5070140
Thank you. Yes, I like the MOP dial and diamond markers.
By the way, Congratulations on your new born. :smile:

Reactions: LADY755
This evening, I went to different stores to try on watches. Here are the pics. If you have time, please give me your opinions. Thank you in advance. I am gravitating towards the Piaget.

The first one is Piaget.
Second one is Omega constellation.
Last one is Longines.

Which one matches with VCA better?

Attachments

• DSC_0061.JPG
    DSC_0061.JPG
    173.5 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC_0063.JPG
    DSC_0063.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC_0058.JPG
    DSC_0058.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 72
Reactions: hhw
I love piaget:heart:
The best looking watch out of those 3 watches in my opinion.
I was looking for a watch recently. I tried Rolex DJ and Cartier ballon bleu as well and I didn’t feel any excitement so I bought Breitling Navitimer 35 with rose gold&diamonds because it made my heart sink (I attached some photos).
I hope sooner or later you will find watch you’ll fall in love with.

808FF899-8392-4FC3-8166-CD5198275354.png7B9423AB-CC34-4761-BD30-6E4FE6A8EA4D.png99C7327A-C9D3-4DE9-934A-5C8FE4F23B0B.jpeg