Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh

Most royal families follow the principle of primogeniture which is that the first born legitimate child inherits the throne. So, Charles is next. As Charles' first born, William will then become King after Charles. After William, it will be little Prince George. One day, when Prince George marries and has children, his first born will be the next in line. As time passes, the younger siblings of Charles and William and, ultimately, little George will see their families become more and distant from the throne and fall further and further down in the line of succession.
ETA: As pointed out by @doni, the above is true for most European royal families but royals from the Middle East or Asia might have different succession paths.
Thank you for the explanation

Reactions: youngster
That was changed around 2011 in the UK, I think, so that a first born girl could inherit the throne and not be passed over for a younger brother. I think most European royal families have made this change to their successions as well. If I recall correctly though, did not the current King of Sweden want his younger son to be king, and not his first born and eldest daughter, the current Crown Princess Victoria?
When Prince Carl Philip was born after Princess Victoria, he became heir apparent, but the Swedish Legislature, the Riksdag, changed the Constitution on January 1, 1980 to equal primogeniture and stripped Carl Philip of the title. His father King Carl XVI Gustaf often publicly complained about the change stating that he wished his son Carl Philip was still Crown Prince instead of his daughter Princess Victoria being a Crown Princess. :sad:

It happens automatically, no big announcement needed.

You are right!

Duke of Edinburgh, named after the city of Edinburgh, Scotland, is a substantive title that has been created three times for members of the British royal family since 1726.

The current holder is Charles, Prince of Wales, who inherited the title on 9 April 2021 upon the death of his father Prince Philip, for whom the title was created for the third time in 1947 upon his marriage to Queen Elizabeth II.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_...der is Charles,marriage to Queen Elizabeth II.

Reactions: Starflower2305
I find it interesting who else has been a Duke of Edinburgh, once upon a time:

The title was first created in the Peerage of Great Britain on 26 July 1726 by King George I, who bestowed it on his grandson Prince Frederick, who also became Prince of Wales the following year. The subsidiary titles of the dukedom were Baron of Snowdon, in the County of Caernarvon, Viscount of Launceston, in the County of Cornwall, Earl of Eltham, in the County of Kent, and Marquess of the Isle of Ely.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_...der is Charles,marriage to Queen Elizabeth II.

Re: Sweden, besides Carl Gustav's sh*tty behaviour I've always thought that was a kind of harsh move. Like, think about that before a son is actually born after a daughter so you don't have to "strip" an actual person.

I was just thinking the same thing, the act should have passed before Carl Philip was born, OR just delay the act so CP inherits next but CP's oldest child - boy or girl, will inherit the throne after.

The way this was done ran a much higher risk of really breaking up the siblings, especially if he saw it as his sister taken his "rightful" place since he WAS the Crown Prince.

Then this should have happened now.
Is there any news about this?
My understanding is that Charles will not currently make use of the title, but when the Queen passes and he ascends to the Crown at that point the title will go to Edward. I think when Phillip retired Edward took on the duties as the Royal Patron of the Duke of Edinburgh awards.

So I think the triggering event that will move this process forward is The passing on of The Queen. The thought of that brings tears to my eyes; she has been The Queen since before I was born and it was a biography I bought of her in a California secondhand shop of her and Margaret's early years that lead me to learn on my own all I could about British history and turned me into the anglophile I am today.

Speaking of inheriting titles and such, when our local count died - who happend to be one of Germany's richest men not necessarily in cash but in land and castles - his youngest son took over instead of the oldest, which I thought was odd because it was news to me that German nobility lets you pick and chose who's your favourite kid.

So that guy, by all accounts super likeable, super educated and young (as in, mid 30s...we actually went to the same school) publicly said in an interview he hasn't decided yet which of his kids will inherit the title (I mean, the oldest is around George's age and the youngest a toddler) but it won't be one of the daughters because - wait for it - that would be oh so unfair to all the women before them who never got the chance. Which I feel is a really, really lame excuse for "I'm just another traditionalist" (all but one of his siblings married nobility too, his wife is actually a born princess).

So I think the triggering event that will move this process forward is The passing on of The Queen. The thought of that brings tears to my eyes; she has been The Queen since before I was born and it was a biography I bought of her in a California secondhand shop of her and Margaret's early years that lead me to learn on my own all I could about British history and turned me into the anglophile I am today.

Honestly, I am not prepared for any more bad news this year, so she'll have to hold on for our sake. There's still her platinum jubilee to be held next year!

My understanding is that Charles will not currently make use of the title, but when the Queen passes and he ascends to the Crown at that point the title will go to Edward. I think when Phillip retired Edward took on the duties as the Royal Patron of the Duke of Edinburgh awards.

Awww how lovely that you think so much of our royals I stood next to the Queen and Margaret once at royal ascot in the royal enclosure they were relaxed and giggling it’s such a lovely memory

Speaking of inheriting titles and such, when our local count died - who happend to be one of Germany's richest men not necessarily in cash but in land and castles - his youngest son took over instead of the oldest, which I thought was odd because it was news to me that German nobility lets you pick and chose who's your favourite kid.

Now I wonder who your local count is? :smile:

The one tiara the Royals never use

It is kind of a stupid title (because the BRF doesn't even own it) but that thing, the Hesse Strawberry Leaf tiara, seems to be pretty murderous. It might all be a coincidence, but several families who owned it have been left completely decimated.

Originally a wedding gift of Prince Albert to one of his daughters (spoiler: he died, she died, three of her children died), there is a horrible connection to Philip: it was inherited by his sister Cecilie's husband. It was on board of that plane, and survived both the crash and the fire. It's believed to have gone to their new SIL (or rather, Cecilie's BIL) whose wedding they had wanted to attend, but at that point the family had learned the lesson and it has not been seen since.

Last edited:
Reactions: limom