Choosing VCA over Rolex

Another nice brand that has a 27.4mm quartz version in many configurations is the Omega Prestige DeVille. (The automatics start at 32.7mm).

Now, after a lot of thoughts and considerations, I am leaning towards Omega brand which is run by Swatch group. Swatch group inspired me once and saved me once by offering good designs in affordable price. More stories later. The story actually created a bond between me and this brand so if I need to get a watch, it must be from this Swatch group.

Now the answer is getting clear I think.
Thank you again for your suggestions.

Today I went to try on some watches, it seems that I am quite set on this Longines 18k watch. It is not high-end like Cartier but the size and the quality is just what I need. It is not flashy - just suits my lifestyle and work environment. And on top of that, it is from Swatch group. :smile:

The second one is in steel which is half the price of the 18 k gold one and it is bigger.

Which one would you choose? The first or second?

Attachments

• DSC_0058.JPG
    DSC_0058.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC_0057.JPG
    DSC_0057.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 97
Today I went to try on some watches, it seems that I am quite set on this Longines 18k watch. It is not high-end like Cartier but the size and the quality is just what I need. It is not flashy - just suits my lifestyle and work environment. And on top of that, it is from Swatch group. :smile:

The second one is in steel which is half the price of the 18 k gold one and it is bigger.

Definitely the first one, since the gold is not flashy - it's both work appropriate and will complement your VCA pieces nicely :tup:

Reactions: eletons

I like metal bracelets and big faces, so I vote the second one of the two.
Also, I forgot which watches you already tried on... If you like this style, did you try on the Cartier Tank Solo? The Tank is an iconic watch, it's low profile compared to other luxury brands, and the Solo comes in a metal bracelet. Tanks are also not expensive, and you get a lot of "brand image" bang for the buck. Here is a link: CRW5200014 - Tank Solo watch - Large model, quartz movement, steel - Cartier

Here is the link to all Tanks with leather or metal bracelets: Tank (cartier.com)

I realize it's ultimately what you like. Given you also like VCA and other luxury brands, for me... I just think a nice watch is part of the whole jewelry look. I know you say you are not flashy, but yet you buy VCA, so I would dare say labels matter (they do to me).

Jewelry and watches are fashion, and everyone has a look. For me, part of my "look" is super casual dress, but fine jewelry and a luxury watch (e.g. Rolex Daytona for me). I would suggest to really think about your look to be sure you don't regret your purchase and then wished you had purchased something else. My gut says if you are thinking your Swatch is not working with your current look, the Longines may not either after a short period.

Just my two cents of course to help you look at other views. Good luck!

Oh... I want to add one more thing to help you decide...
If you really do not care about luxury brands for watches (e.g. no Rolex, Cartier) and are only going for how a watch looks on you, then I would suggest just staying with your Swatch or get an Apple watch (at least you get the coolness factor with Apple). That would save you all this headache and money for a piece that does not matter to you.

To come full circle on your original question... does a Swatch and VCA work together? For me, a big no.
So just think about "why" you asked that question. If it's because you think the Swatch looks cheap next to VCA (I think so), then you might want to upgrade to a luxury brand. If it's because you don't like that particular Swatch style anymore, then pick another Swatch style that you like more.

Also, you are asking on the VCA forum. I bet if you asked on the Swatch forum or equivalent, you wil get completely different responses. In the end, it's what you want, so asking for our opinions is nice, but it's just that, an opinion, including mine.

Oh... so much to think about! But I hope this helps in your decision.

I like metal bracelets and big faces, so I vote the second one of the two.
Also, I forgot which watches you already tried on... If you like this style, did you try on the Cartier Tank Solo? The Tank is an iconic watch, it's low profile compared to other luxury brands, and the Solo comes in a metal bracelet. Tanks are also not expensive, and you get a lot of "brand image" bang for the buck. Here is a link: CRW5200014 - Tank Solo watch - Large model, quartz movement, steel - Cartier

Here is the link to all Tanks with leather or metal bracelets: Tank (cartier.com)

I realize it's ultimately what you like. Given you also like VCA and other luxury brands, for me... I just think a nice watch is part of the whole jewelry look. I know you say you are not flashy, but yet you buy VCA, so I would dare say labels matter (they do to me).

Jewelry and watches are fashion, and everyone has a look. For me, part of my "look" is super casual dress, but fine jewelry and a luxury watch (e.g. Rolex Daytona for me). I would suggest to really think about your look to be sure you don't regret your purchase and then wished you had purchased something else. My gut says if you are thinking your Swatch is not working with your current look, the Longines may not either after a short period.

Just my two cents of course to help you look at other views. Good luck!

Hello, I think we hold the different opinions since day 1. remember the lotus earrings post? I like Lotus earrings but you don't, and this is fine. Couples don't hold the same opinions, let alone people that we meet on the forum.

To me, brands are not as important as the designs. First I need to like the design and then I have emotional connection to the brand then I become a loyal customer. To me Swatch group is important because of 2 real life stories.

In my secondary school year, my teacher gifted me and my 2 best friends a Swatch watch, because after teaching us for 2 years, it was time for her to retire so my friends and I bought her a gift but she refused to receive unless we accepted the watch as a return. The message she sent out is like 'The value of a watch does not lie within a watch but what a watch represents---TIME.' She lives in an affluent area of the city so her message was very convincing.

And fast forward 2 decades or so, I was in the low point of my life and was preparing for my job interview, guess what, I needed an affordable and presentable watch for my interview. I turned to Swatch watch because it was very robust and presentable as they offer stainless steel version. Guess what? No, I did not get the job but it turned out to be a blessing to me cos in the mist of Covid, there was a huge laid-off from that company that did not hire me. Instead of working for them, I got a secure job and live happily now.

So SWATCH group inspired me once and saved me once hence the emotional connection to this brand or the group. If I don't get a Longines, I might get a Breguet or Omega which are all from Swatch. But if I get a Breguet, I need to skip Lotus earrings or 20 motif necklace for a long while.

So purchasing a Longines allows me to get items from VCA more often.

Do we really need to purchase all items from high-end brand just to match VCA? If so, many VCA lovers should wear Dior or Chanel all the time--- I mean all the time, not just once a week or twice and not limited to one or 2 suits.

To me, VCA is not flashy, to me, it is the pattern from Alhambra palace from Granada Spain. I went there and I know, the motifs were in blue though from the palace. And what is more, the first time I travelled to Paris, I found the lady-bugs in a hidden oriental garden on my way to the Eiffel tower. And so Lucky spring collection means something to me. Their designs speak to me again and again and I can relate hence I love the brand so much. VCA is my life experience in a way. Not the representation of my status nor my identity.

I change my Swatch because it is in stainless steel color and I want the watch in gold tone with leather strap to match with my gold VCA.

Oh... I want to add one more thing to help you decide...
If you really do not care about luxury brands for watches (e.g. no Rolex, Cartier) and are only going for how a watch looks on you, then I would suggest just staying with your Swatch or get an Apple watch (at least you get the coolness factor with Apple). That would save you all this headache and money for a piece that does not matter to you.

To come full circle on your original question... does a Swatch and VCA work together? For me, a big no.
So just think about "why" you asked that question. If it's because you think the Swatch looks cheap next to VCA (I think so), then you might want to upgrade to a luxury brand. If it's because you don't like that particular Swatch style anymore, then pick another Swatch style that you like more.

Also, you are asking on the VCA forum. I bet if you asked on the Swatch forum or equivalent, you wil get completely different responses. In the end, it's what you want, so asking for our opinions is nice, but it's just that, an opinion, including mine.

Oh... so much to think about! But I hope this helps in your decision.

About a decade ago, I wore my vintage Alhambra MOP ring with my CK watch in leather strap, it stopped functioning long time ago so I need to buy a leather strap watch, I went to Swatch and yes, they had the small watch in leather strap but it is not in the vintage old-fashioned style, so I turn to Longines.

Sorry, not buying the Apple watch, totally not my style.

I have a hand-me-down leather bag bought in Florence Italy in the 80s or 90s. Guess what? If someone were to hand me an Hermes and want to trade, I would turn down the offer because you don't get this kind of bag from small workshop real father and son family run business anymore from Florence. Yes, I still proudly carry this bag out and about and I like it very much.

I guess now you know my style.

Hello, I think we hold the different opinions since day 1. remember the lotus earrings post? I like Lotus earrings but you don't, and this is fine. Couples don't hold the same opinions, let alone people that we meet on the forum.

To me, brands are not as important as the designs. First I need to like the design and then I have emotional connection to the brand then I become a loyal customer. To me Swatch group is important because of 2 real life stories.

In my secondary school year, my teacher gifted me and my 2 best friends a Swatch watch, because after teaching us for 2 years, it was time for her to retire so my friends and I bought her a gift but she refused to receive unless we accepted the watch as a return. The message she sent out is like 'The value of a watch does not lie within a watch but what a watch represents---TIME.' She lives in an affluent area of the city so her message was very convincing.

And fast forward 2 decades or so, I was in the low point of my life and was preparing for my job interview, guess what, I needed an affordable and presentable watch for my interview. I turned to Swatch watch because it was very robust and presentable as they offer stainless steel version. Guess what? No, I did not get the job but it turned out to be a blessing to me cos in the mist of Covid, there was a huge laid-off from that company that did not hire me. Instead of working for them, I got a secure job and live happily now.

So SWATCH group inspired me once and saved me once hence the emotional connection to this brand or the group. If I don't get a Longines, I might get a Breguet or Omega which are all from Swatch. But if I get a Breguet, I need to skip Lotus earrings or 20 motif necklace for a long while.

So purchasing a Longines allows me to get items from VCA more often.

Do we really need to purchase all items from high-end brand just to match VCA? If so, many VCA lovers should wear Dior or Chanel all the time--- I mean all the time, not just once a week or twice and not limited to one or 2 suits.

To me, VCA is not flashy, to me, it is the pattern from Alhambra palace from Granada Spain. I went there and I know, the motifs were in blue though from the palace. And what is more, the first time I travelled to Paris, I found the lady-bugs in a hidden oriental garden on my way to the Eiffel tower. And so Lucky spring collection means something to me. Their designs speak to me again and again and I can relate hence I love the brand so much. VCA is my life experience in a way. Not the representation of my status nor my identity.

I change my Swatch because it is in stainless steel color and I want the watch in gold tone with leather strap to match with my gold VCA.
Great answer! Based on what you said, I vote get another Swatch. That brand has meaning and memories to you. Then you can get your Lotus earrings too! A win-win!

I prefer metal bracelets on watches personally. But if your goal is to have a gold watch to go with VCA jewelry, then by all means get the gold one! Of the brands owned by Swatch that you have mentioned, from what I have read, Longines is at a basic/starter luxury brand, Omega is luxury brand, and Breguet is a higher end luxury brand, and then there is a more exclusive higher level than that. I personally wouldn't buy Breguet because there are brands within that category that I'd rather have. Cartier, Omega, and Rolex in that mid-luxury level are my personal favorites, but I did have a Longines years ago and it was a nice watch. The Longines you tried on is attractive and certainly seems to meet your objective of getting one from the Swatch family of brands, and the solid gold case is within budget and will go with your yg VCA. So if you love it, then you have found your watch!

Reactions: HADASSA
I prefer metal bracelets on watches personally. But if your goal is to have a gold watch to go with VCA jewelry, then by all means get the gold one! Of the brands owned by Swatch that you have mentioned, from what I have read, Longines is at a basic/starter luxury brand, Omega is luxury brand, and Breguet is a higher end luxury brand, and then there is a more exclusive higher level than that. I personally wouldn't buy Breguet because there are brands within that category that I'd rather have. Cartier, Omega, and Rolex in that mid-luxury level are my personal favorites, but I did have a Longines years ago and it was a nice watch. The Longines you tried on is attractive and certainly seems to meet your objective of getting one from the Swatch family of brands, and the solid gold case is within budget and will go with your yg VCA. So if you love it, then you have found your watch!
Thanks for your previous recommendation on the Cartier balloon blue in steel. I want a leather strap one cos my Swatch in steel is still functioning so it is better to add a leather strap watch for variety.

Cartier's 18 k is priced like a Rolex, it is much better to get a Rolex if I were to pay for a 18 k RG quartz watch from Cartier. I tried on the RG Rolex with chocolate dial, this is the only colour that might match with YG from VCA.

As for Omega, I was doing my research and came across a video explaining their changes in constellation collection. They 'shrink' their diamonds marker. Meaning the diamonds markers are much smaller even the naked eyes can tell the difference. I was pretty turned off by the lowering of their quality.

Nowadays, higher end doesn't mean quality but I am looking for quality. Having said that, I will need to try on Cartier watches and Omega in person to draw the conclusion.

Reactions: DS2006
Hello everyone. I have a question to ask. Yesterday I went to Rolex detail store to look at some watches (mainly 28 mm watches with oyster bracelet). When I was trying them on, I did not have that excitement as I have with my VCA pieces. Is there something wrong with me or with the watches? I have been wearing my Swatch watch for a few years and I don't know why, a Rolex feels the same as the Swatch watch that I am having now (or at least when I put them on, I feel the same).

I want to have a nice watch to match with my VCA (I am not sure how people view someone who has VCA and match them with a Swatch watch). But I can't seem to find something that sings to me like a VCA piece does. Yes, I know VCA also has watches but they don't show the time clearly and I have to have a time piece that tells the time because of my job (a watch having a marker) but the VCA time piece has no marker. That's why I can't buy a VCA watch for practical reasons.

Yes, I have considered Cartier but can't find something that is nice. Omega? (I don't like the bracelet)

Do you have any suggestion as to how to solve this issue? I want to have a watch that tells the time and looks elegant and work well with my VCA pieces. I cannot wear a watch larger than 28mm or 31 mm as I have small wrists (having 8 links removed for VCA 5 motifs is still loose for me). If you have brands to recommend, I will be happy to go to the stores to try them on.

Or do you think I can stick to my Swatch? I like it but it looks pretty off with VCA pieces.

Thank you for your time!

I think you should reach out to other brands to find one that makes your heart sing! There are plenty of other luxury watch brands out there!

I personally like rolexes and I think the full gold datejust with president bracelet goes very well with VCA and Cartier pieces!

Patek nautilus and AP’s royal oaks are also beautiful!

I think you should reach out to other brands to find one that makes your heart sing! There are plenty of other luxury watch brands out there!

I personally like rolexes and I think the full gold datejust with president bracelet goes very well with VCA and Cartier pieces!

Patek nautilus and AP’s royal oaks are also beautiful!
Thank you for your suggestions. To be honest, Patek, AP and VC are out of my league. As for a gold Rolex, it won't fit my work environment. Many colleagues are so casual. I won't dare to stand out that much. Those who are in the top position are very low-key. I won't wear something so flashy to challenge them.

Reactions: glamourbag
I recommend visiting a watch store with a lot of brands to get a sense of what you like, how it works with your style, your wardrobe, what brands are out there, and what will look good.

I have thin wrists, so to compensate I like a slightly oversized look rather than a smaller face for an even more feminine look.

Here’s a bit of my watch journey if it helps you make the decision. Most of my watches complement my VCA collection and my wardrobe since they’re more on the feminine side in terms of style. I have one that’s a bit more masculine (Panerai), but I waited until they came out with a smaller size. Then I replaced a brown leather watch strap with a purple gator one.

I don’t wear watches simply for their function. They serve a jewelry purpose so I don’t feel compelled to get the traditional brands or models. I don’t often stack VCA bracelets with my watch for this reason. I like when it stands on its own as spectacular.

I generally opt for more understated brands across my entire wardrobe, so Rolex wasn’t the first place I looked. Although I like the look of some Rolex models, I haven’t purchased one yet. I have Cartier, Dior, and Bedat. Contemplating JLC, Breuget, AP, or Patek for the future. I tend to prefer specific styles within each brand.

Take time with a purchase like this and enjoy the search. It’s like deciding between wedding cake vendors. So many delicious and sweet options. If you liked Longines, also look at Frederique Constant.

Reactions: glamourbag
I prefer the steel band as it’s easier to maintain and longer lasting.

It sounded like from your opening post that maybe you’re not so much of a watch person and prefer to spend on jewellery (correct me if I’m wrong!). I don’t find the appeal of watches either and gravitate towards VCA 1000x more.

Also, nothing wrong with a Swatch! If your heart is with the jewellery then buy jewellery instead. I’ve made too many mistakes buying things I think I should buy rather than things I love, and I end up spending more money getting the thing I wanted from the start!

I prefer the steel band as it’s easier to maintain and longer lasting.

It sounded like from your opening post that maybe you’re not so much of a watch person and prefer to spend on jewellery (correct me if I’m wrong!). I don’t find the appeal of watches either and gravitate towards VCA 1000x more.

Also, nothing wrong with a Swatch! If your heart is with the jewellery then buy jewellery instead. I’ve made too many mistakes buying things I think I should buy rather than things I love, and I end up spending more money getting the thing I wanted from the start!

Thank you for your comforting words. It's true that I don't pay attention to my watch. I started looking for a new one because I would like to stack my watch with vca 5 motif bracelet. Also, a watch gets most used as I wear my watch every day. Thinking about cost per wear, it does sound like getting a watch is the best option. I also think about getting a 10 motif necklace but now I changed my mind. I don't think I would wear a 10 motif to work. After a lot of calculating thoughts, I would skip 10 motif, 20 motif and lotus earrings as I won't wear them to work. so for work, a watch, bracelet, some earrings and a single motif necklace will do. I will just leave 10 motif, 20 motif and lotus earrings to the last. But for 16 motif rose gold long necklace, this I might add, the motifs are just add the right amount of shine to any outfits.