Am I too poor for Hèrmes?

I like most things Hermes, but not the bags, they feel wrong and uncomfortable to me, they don't really suit my style, and the ones that are the size I could use, I feel I am courting a hernia by the weight alone, but I regularly buy shoes, belts, scarves, it's become a joke with the SA to ask me if she couldn't interest me in a bag and from time to time sends me pictures of the coverted bags. They really aren't that snobbish, they aren't forcing the product on you, at least in Europe. You simply need a relationship with your SA.

This was a fun thread to discover. Lots of honest opinions. I hope you are enjoying going to Hermès store in Toronto. I just started shopping in Hermès in February and in lockdown called the boutique. A very nice SA called me back. I don’t feel any pressure. I’m 100 % not wealthy, but I don’t hesitate walking into any store. Maybe it’s my age but most SAs in all stores have been polite. I am enjoying the lovely service at Hermès Toronto just buying what I want.

Reactions: maxroxxherhandbags
Thought I would add after my first Hermès experience. My SA was so sweet, relatable, helpful, and easy to work with. I was not dressed nicely to any stretch of the imagination and am not even close to wealthy. Just like having great quality items that will stand the test of time. I was so nervous to even make an appt to go to the boutique! I’m delightfully surprised at how chill it was.

I think you mean are you too poor to be a Hermes direct customer..... I completely understand the sentiment.... Hermes items are very pricy...... I buy many item on the pre-owned market. How many Birkins do you really need? I think you probably need only a few..... a friend who is worth over US$10m has 4. I am under US$1m and have 2. I don't think there is any rule..... but I would say 1 Birkin for every 1-3 million US$

I think you mean are you too poor to be a Hermes direct customer..... I completely understand the sentiment.... Hermes items are very pricy...... I buy many item on the pre-owned market. How many Birkins do you really need? I think you probably need only a few..... a friend who is worth over US$10m has 4. I am under US$1m and have 2. I don't think there is any rule..... but I would say 1 Birkin for every 1-3 million US$

I think it all depends on how one values and spends their money. And to be fair, there’s enough Birkins on the used market to clearly demonstrate that “1 Birkin for every 1-3 million US$” is far from reality....people are way over that ratio frequently :lol:

I think where this question starts getting interesting when you discuss value for money, which is very subjective. It’s not the Birkin that’s really the question to me...almost anyone can justify saving up for a top-end bag if it’s their goal and desire. Rather it’s the Evelyne, Garden Party, and such...really basic bags that nobody would be willing to spend half what they cost from Hermès on if they were from other designers. I mean, yes, absolutely nice bags and beautifully made (no shade intended), but is a GP really going to give you $1500+ more value in both use and style over the LV Neverfull? Probably not. And both can be taken in for repairs, so that argument is moot.

Overall this is where it lands for me: is one “too poor” to add a selection of Hermès items to their closet over the years, along with other brands they enjoy? Likely not, but you can easily break the bank if you let yourself get caught-up in “needing to have that brand on you at all times to keep a status.”

I think it all depends on how one values and spends their money. And to be fair, there’s enough Birkins on the used market to clearly demonstrate that “1 Birkin for every 1-3 million US$” is far from reality....people are way over that ratio frequently :lol:

I think where this question starts getting interesting when you discuss value for money, which is very subjective. It’s not the Birkin that’s really the question to me...almost anyone can justify saving up for a top-end bag if it’s their goal and desire. Rather it’s the Evelyne, Garden Party, and such...really basic bags that nobody would be willing to spend half what they cost from Hermès on if they were from other designers. I mean, yes, absolutely nice bags and beautifully made (no shade intended), but is a GP really going to give you $1500+ more value in both use and style over the LV Neverfull? Probably not. And both can be taken in for repairs, so that argument is moot.

Overall this is where it lands for me: is one “too poor” to add a selection of Hermès items to their closet over the years, along with other brands they enjoy? Likely not, but you can easily break the bank if you let yourself get caught-up in “needing to have that brand on you at all times to keep a status.”
IMHO, nothing can justify luxury prices including the Neverfull coz perfectly decent bags are available for max $300 Or less. I loved my Coach, Kate Spade and Fossil bags for years. Travelled all over the world with them living in 5 star hotels and no one ever gave me bad service. Luxury is totally a desire and subjective experience. I was aghast at the price when my daughter bought her first Givenchy in Paris. This then led me down this slippery slope. :smile:) Now I’m enjoying every luxury bag I have bought over the last two years. Desire creates the value. End of the road top value is Hermès, I guess, which makes the bags BKC highly desirable and almost unattainable without going through the hoops.

Lol if this was a rule, I guess I wouldn't own a Birkin. I am totally not worth 1 million. Haha not even close.

To earn such money, I'd have to be born in another country (not third world one). Not going to wait for reincarnation:hrmm:
haha, same! I'm glad there isn't an actual income requirement to shop at Hermes. Because I see people who make anything from 70K annually and up shop there for bags. Have a friend who makes just about 80k anually who owns a Birkin. People totally budget different and have different priorites.

I don't think that there's such a thing as too poor for Hermès. If you like something from the brand, you save up for it if you can't afford it right away. Money is money, nobody cares were it comes from of how long it took you to earn it when you pay for it.

I feel like I need to tell you all a story I have witnessed myself a very long time ago in London. Me, my SIL and nephew were browsing at the Chanel corner inside of Selfridges. While I was wearing one of my B's and trying on a Boy Bag, a young lady was purchasing what to us looked like, her very first Chanel bag. Two sales assistants were counting the cash she's handed over to pay - she was so cute and you could tell from her body language, that she's saved that money for quite some time to make this purchase. She made my day and I cherish that thought to this day.

And btw, I'm not near to own a million but own several B's and C's. :graucho:

haha, same! I'm glad there isn't an actual income requirement to shop at Hermes. Because I see people who make anything from 70K annually and up shop there for bags. Have a friend who makes just about 80k anually who owns a Birkin. People totally budget different and have different priorites.
Can you imagine if they asked for bank statements proving you have enough to shop at H, like they do for some visa applications? :lol:
I don't even have driving license so I'm SO justified to own Hermes bags :biggrin:
I consider my H addiction a better investment than a car! Given how much my SO is moaning about our car battery dying (he complained about something like 100 euros as I floated by with a pyramid of H boxes), I feel very validated. :lol:

Plus don’t we all feel like a million bucks with a bit of H on us?