Choosing VCA over Rolex

eletons

Feb 6, 2021
Hello everyone. I have a question to ask. Yesterday I went to Rolex detail store to look at some watches (mainly 28 mm watches with oyster bracelet). When I was trying them on, I did not have that excitement as I have with my VCA pieces. Is there something wrong with me or with the watches? I have been wearing my Swatch watch for a few years and I don't know why, a Rolex feels the same as the Swatch watch that I am having now (or at least when I put them on, I feel the same).

I want to have a nice watch to match with my VCA (I am not sure how people view someone who has VCA and match them with a Swatch watch). But I can't seem to find something that sings to me like a VCA piece does. Yes, I know VCA also has watches but they don't show the time clearly and I have to have a time piece that tells the time because of my job (a watch having a marker) but the VCA time piece has no marker. That's why I can't buy a VCA watch for practical reasons.

Yes, I have considered Cartier but can't find something that is nice. Omega? (I don't like the bracelet)

Do you have any suggestion as to how to solve this issue? I want to have a watch that tells the time and looks elegant and work well with my VCA pieces. I cannot wear a watch larger than 28mm or 31 mm as I have small wrists (having 8 links removed for VCA 5 motifs is still loose for me). If you have brands to recommend, I will be happy to go to the stores to try them on.

Or do you think I can stick to my Swatch? I like it but it looks pretty off with VCA pieces.

Thank you for your time!

To me, Cartier watches are more compatible with VCA than Rolex in terms of style, but of course, you can wear Rolex with anything. I have a Tank Francaise which is super casual, but I'd get a Ballon Bleu to go with my VCA, personally. I just have little need for a watch and wear one rarely, so that is what is holding me back from getting another. But I will say that if you didn't have a feeling of "love!!!" when you tried on the Rolex watches, those are not the right ones for you!

I think you can wear anything you want, of course, but I think a beautiful watch would be more complimentary to your VCA jewelry. The Swatch can be worn at times when you don't want to wear fine jewelry.

What about Patek or Breguet? I have the twenty four Patek and love it!
Thanks so much. I took a look at the Breguet website and I found one that looks nice and it is in 30mm. But it is slightly over budget. My budget is around USD 10000. But I will bear this in mind (if I don't get VCA pave items, I might put my fund to this watch). But first I need to try it on.

Thank you so much for introducing this brand.

Reactions: kitty nyc
maybe bulgari would be an option? Lvcea or diva’s dream? I don’t wear any bracelets so no idea with stacking, I do wear my ss tank and ballon bleu everyday. I also love jlc moonphase and tank reverso. You might look at longines too which is much more afforable than the ones mentioned here and they have some clean elegant watches :smile:

Reactions: eletons
maybe bulgari would be an option? Lvcea or diva’s dream? I don’t wear any bracelets so no idea with stacking, I do wear my ss tank and ballon bleu everyday. I also love jlc moonphase and tank reverso. You might look at longines too which is much more afforable than the ones mentioned here and they have some clean elegant watches :smile:
I have been to bulgari and tried on their watches, the light weight of the watch just scream low quality to me. I went to jlc as well a while ago and again, not feeling it. Longines also, no luck finding the One. I guess it is the light weight that turns me off. I like some weight in the watch that makes me feel that I am wearing a watch. Right now, my Swatch steel watch gives me this feeling. I don't stack bracelets so I don't worry about the weight of my watch.

As for Cartier watches, I have thought about ballon bleu, but the design looks like the moment of conception and I don't plan to have children so I worry the symbol of the watch mess up my plan.

Thank you for all your suggestions.

To me, Cartier watches are more compatible with VCA than Rolex in terms of style, but of course, you can wear Rolex with anything. I have a Tank Francaise which is super casual, but I'd get a Ballon Bleu to go with my VCA, personally. I just have little need for a watch and wear one rarely, so that is what is holding me back from getting another. But I will say that if you didn't have a feeling of "love!!!" when you tried on the Rolex watches, those are not the right ones for you!

I think you can wear anything you want, of course, but I think a beautiful watch would be more complimentary to your VCA jewelry. The Swatch can be worn at times when you don't want to wear fine jewelry.
I have been through phrases when I just relied on my phone to tell time and I found my life less organized and my career stagnant. It was when I wore my watch again I saw myself get back on track and everything going forward. So a watch is a must for me.

Reactions: DS2006
This is my Cartier watch. I really love how feminine it feels. Not sure if this is your style but I like how it goes with my VCA pieces.

View attachment 5049669
Thank you for the photos. I have never worn a rectangular watch before and not sure how it might do to my life as I am a very straight forward person and often times speak in a very direct way so I always think that a round shape watch might help soften my speech. Like rounding the corner and make my speech less sharp. Yes, by this time you know I do believe in feng shui.

But I will try it on and see how it makes me feel.

Reactions: Emily1830
I went to Cartier website again and it seems like Ronde Solo might be close to what I am looking for but if it is light-weighted. I might back out. And it is not self-winding , it is a quartz movement.

I had to laugh when you said "is there something wrong with me or with the watch?" Neither!! :smile: You just don't like Rolex watches.

But I wonder if maybe you're just not a watch person as much as you are a jewelry person? Since you've worn your functional Swatch for so long maybe a watch inherently won't feel as special to you as jewelry like your VCA does? Just one thought. Get whatever feels special and luxurious to you, because you're paying for it!

Reactions: so_sofya1985
I had to laugh when you said "is there something wrong with me or with the watch?" Neither!! :smile: You just don't like Rolex watches.

But I wonder if maybe you're just not a watch person as much as you are a jewelry person? Since you've worn your functional Swatch for so long maybe a watch inherently won't feel as special to you as jewelry like your VCA does? Just one thought. Get whatever feels special and luxurious to you, because you're paying for it!
I second @lalame in that you might not be a gal for watches! Which is perfectly fine??? You are lucky in a way! More to enjoy at VCA! I also agree that Rolex isn’t the brand for matching with VCA unless you go for those pearlmaster lady watches (maybe!!

To think of it, it is funny you mention that VCA watches do not show time clearly! If I remember correctly my teen years Swatch has no dial at all?

the VCA watch would literally be a no brainer I reckon - the Alhambra one:angel:

I am not a watch person so I may not be the right person to give advice here but, here’s my two cents.
If the Rolex watches did not appeal to you, I say more money for your VCA wishlist items. :tup:
BTW, VCA does have some pretty nice watches that have made me give a second glance to. Maybe you can check them out?
I only have one watch which is Hermès and it’s for functional purpose only. I use it during meetings and at work. For aesthetic value, I stick to other accessories.

Hello everyone. I have a question to ask. Yesterday I went to Rolex detail store to look at some watches (mainly 28 mm watches with oyster bracelet). When I was trying them on, I did not have that excitement as I have with my VCA pieces. Is there something wrong with me or with the watches? I have been wearing my Swatch watch for a few years and I don't know why, a Rolex feels the same as the Swatch watch that I am having now (or at least when I put them on, I feel the same).

I want to have a nice watch to match with my VCA (I am not sure how people view someone who has VCA and match them with a Swatch watch). But I can't seem to find something that sings to me like a VCA piece does. Yes, I know VCA also has watches but they don't show the time clearly and I have to have a time piece that tells the time because of my job (a watch having a marker) but the VCA time piece has no marker. That's why I can't buy a VCA watch for practical reasons.

Yes, I have considered Cartier but can't find something that is nice. Omega? (I don't like the bracelet)

Do you have any suggestion as to how to solve this issue? I want to have a watch that tells the time and looks elegant and work well with my VCA pieces. I cannot wear a watch larger than 28mm or 31 mm as I have small wrists (having 8 links removed for VCA 5 motifs is still loose for me). If you have brands to recommend, I will be happy to go to the stores to try them on.

Or do you think I can stick to my Swatch? I like it but it looks pretty off with VCA pieces.

Thank you for your time!
Have you looked at Chopard watches? They are very feminine and I think would
go beautifully with VCA pieces. You should check them out. They’re really pretty and I’m pretty sure you can find one on your price range. Let us know what you decide.:smile: