Silica gel packets in handbags for humid climates

silviap90

O.G.
Oct 25, 2012
Hi there,
I was just wondering what everyone’s thoughts are on using silica packets to put in handbags ? I live in a very humid climate and I just have one in the zip compartment just to hopefully ward off the bad moisture spirits but have been told it’s not ideal. I don’t see how one tiny silica packet could dry out an entire bag especially in a quiet humid environment. I also never put it directly on the leather either. Thoughts ?

Reactions: juju2016
Hi there,
I was just wondering what everyone’s thoughts are on using silica packets to put in handbags ? I live in a very humid climate and I just have one in the zip compartment just to hopefully ward off the bad moisture spirits but have been told it’s not ideal. I don’t see how one tiny silica packet could dry out an entire bag especially in a quiet humid environment. I also never put it directly on the leather either. Thoughts ?
Interesting. Do you know why they should not be put in the bag? I have put some in my bags to also ward off humidity and its effect on my bags. Given that they put silica packets in all packages I receive, I doubt they could be that harmful?!

Agree with iskam.mnogo - I keep silica gel packets in all of my bags, even my vintage Coach bags with a raw leather interior. They're shipped out of the factory with them.

I think the concern is that in theory, they could work so well at dehumidifying that they dry out the leather. But given that you live in such a humid environment, I highly doubt that's possible!

Silica packets have a limited lifespan, though, so it could be good to replace them every now and then.

Reactions: americandreaming
IMO silica gel packets won’t harm your leather bags, but as noted need to be replaced regularly.
However, if you live in a very humid tropical or sub-tropical environment, silica gel alone won’t do the trick. You’ll need some or all of the above: special closet fixtures, dry boxes, very regular checking for mold and mildew, airing of your leather goods, etc., etc. If you do a search here you can find suggestions on how to avoid mold and mildew on leather handbags.
Good luck in your quest to protect your bags!

Interesting. Do you know why they should not be put in the bag? I have put some in my bags to also ward off humidity and its effect on my bags. Given that they put silica packets in all packages I receive, I doubt they could be that harmful?!
I’ve just googled it and some websites say not to put silica packets in leather goods but there are some other sites that contradict that and say it’s fine. I suppose in dry climates, it could be potentially drying to the leather.
Agree with iskam.mnogo - I keep silica gel packets in all of my bags, even my vintage Coach bags with a raw leather interior. They're shipped out of the factory with them.

I think the concern is that in theory, they could work so well at dehumidifying that they dry out the leather. But given that you live in such a humid environment, I highly doubt that's possible!

Silica packets have a limited lifespan, though, so it could be good to replace them every now and then.
Yeah, I agree. Where I live it’s super humid in summer and right now we are in a super rainy La NiNa phase so I think anything to dehumidify my luxury bags will do more good than harm really.
IMO silica gel packets won’t harm your leather bags, but as noted need to be replaced regularly.
However, if you live in a very humid tropical or sub-tropical environment, silica gel alone won’t do the trick. You’ll need some or all of the above: special closet fixtures, dry boxes, very regular checking for mold and mildew, airing of your leather goods, etc., etc. If you do a search here you can find suggestions on how to avoid mold and mildew on leather handbags.
Good luck in your quest to protect your bags!
Yep, I absolutely baby my bags. I keep them in their original packaging with tissue paper and boxes and rotate them as much as I can. In addition to making sure the room they are stored in get enough sunlight as mild spores can’t proliferate in sunlight. I think I’ll continue to use the packets but I’ll monitor them and change them out frequently

I’ve just googled it and some websites say not to put silica packets in leather goods but there are some other sites that contradict that and say it’s fine. I suppose in dry climates, it could be potentially drying to the leather.

Yeah, I agree. Where I live it’s super humid in summer and right now we are in a super rainy La NiNa phase so I think anything to dehumidify my luxury bags will do more good than harm really.

Yep, I absolutely baby my bags. I keep them in their original packaging with tissue paper and boxes and rotate them as much as I can. In addition to making sure the room they are stored in get enough sunlight as mild spores can’t proliferate in sunlight. I think I’ll continue to use the packets but I’ll monitor them and change them out frequently
Oh dear! In a tropical climate I don’t think your bags will be happy stuffed with tissue paper inside cardboard boxes, as paper attracts and holds moisture. A better bet would be to keep the bags in their natural fibre (cotton or linen) dust covers, and stuffed if necessary with air pillows or purse shapers. The dust covers should be washed regularly; I wash mine 2-3 times/year. I also run a dehumidifier in my closet 12 hours/day, and keep the light on 24/7 to provide some dry heat. Some people use desiccant packs, which I find not to be cost effective because they need changing often. The big guns are dry boxes which are expensive, and have ongoing running costs. Dry boxes are the best solution for exotics IMO.
Good luck keeping your bags healthy in the tropics!

• Insightful
Reactions: etudes and 880
I know it's not about silica packets, but I watched this video and am horrified. Normally I would forget everything, but the horror of this I can never forget. If somebody wants to use silica, please watch this first. I am not calling it the devil, it can be quite useful, but this should never happen again:

Oh dear! In a tropical climate I don’t think your bags will be happy stuffed with tissue paper inside cardboard boxes, as paper attracts and holds moisture. A better bet would be to keep the bags in their natural fibre (cotton or linen) dust covers, and stuffed if necessary with air pillows or purse shapers. The dust covers should be washed regularly; I wash mine 2-3 times/year. I also run a dehumidifier in my closet 12 hours/day, and keep the light on 24/7 to provide some dry heat. Some people use desiccant packs, which I find not to be cost effective because they need changing often. The big guns are dry boxes which are expensive, and have ongoing running costs. Dry boxes are the best solution for exotics IMO.
Good luck keeping your bags healthy in the tropics!

Well I just learned something new! I use silica gel packets, stuff mine with tissue paper and keep them in their dust bags.

I don't think I've owned any of my dust bags for a year yet. How do you wash yours? I think I'll wash mine in the summer and dry them in the sun.

I know it's not about silica packets, but I watched this video and am horrified. Normally I would forget everything, but the horror of this I can never forget. If somebody wants to use silica, please watch this first. I am not calling it the devil, it can be quite useful, but this should never happen again:

The link isn't working for me. Anyone else?

This product is a dessicant, not silica. No excuse for what happened to this poor Birkin, but silica wasn’t the culprit. I personally don’t like these products because they need changing often, and therefore aren’t cost effective. If you use such a product, always place it on the floor of your closet, not above anything where the overflow can drip.

Well I just learned something new! I use silica gel packets, stuff mine with tissue paper and keep them in their dust bags.

I don't think I've owned any of my dust bags for a year yet. How do you wash yours? I think I'll wash mine in the summer and dry them in the sun.

I wash my dust bags with a mild, neutral laundry soap, and use the double rinse cycle. Long term, tissue paper is not a good solution for stuffing your bags if you’re living in a tropical or sub-tropical climate, and if your closet isn’t well ventilated.

Reactions: americandreaming

If you google on Margarita Nazarenko They destroyed my hermes birkin, you should find it.

This product is a dessicant, not silica. No excuse for what happened to this poor Birkin, but silica wasn’t the culprit. I personally don’t like these products because they need changing often, and therefore aren’t cost effective. If you use such a product, always place it on the floor of your closet, not above anything where the overflow can drip.
Thank you for the additional informations. I always thought it was the same thing. That is also why I was afraid of sillica packets, but those can just safely be stored in a closet with bags?

There are products with calcium chloride crystals in a plastic tub, and as moisture is pulled from the air, the crystals dissolve. If you aren’t careful, the tub can overflow and create damage, as seen in the video about the ruined Birkin bag. Personally, I don’t recommend this type of product, but many people use them. I think you’d be better off with a dehumidifier appliance if you want to combat humidity in an area such as a closet or dressing room.
Silica gel packets are an entirely different product. They come in small packets that I’m sure you've seen in all kinds of products, from vitamin bottles to electronics, to handbags. IMO they can be safely used inside leather handbags if you live in a very humid climate (over 80% humidity every day). They should be changed every so often as they lose their effectiveness over time. The silica gel packets can help fight excess moisture for one item, such as a handbag, but aren’t effective for a closet or dressing room.
Hope this helps.

There are products with calcium chloride crystals in a plastic tub, and as moisture is pulled from the air, the crystals dissolve. If you aren’t careful, the tub can overflow and create damage, as seen in the video about the ruined Birkin bag. Personally, I don’t recommend this type of product, but many people use them. I think you’d be better off with a dehumidifier appliance if you want to combat humidity in an area such as a closet or dressing room.
Silica gel packets are an entirely different product. They come in small packets that I’m sure you've seen in all kinds of products, from vitamin bottles to electronics, to handbags. IMO they can be safely used inside leather handbags if you live in a very humid climate (over 80% humidity every day). They should be changed every so often as they lose their effectiveness over time. The silica gel packets can help fight excess moisture for one item, such as a handbag, but aren’t effective for a closet or dressing room.
Hope this helps.

This may be a silly question but I was hoping to wear my PVC water boy bag to a wedding in Florida later this month, do you think this one time use for a few hours with the silica gel inside will be fine? Thank you in advance. :smile: