The minimalist wardrobe : Support/progress thread

I think to look really fabulous, one pretty much has to plan on having everything tailored. Even jeans and “minor” purchases. I have a friend that does this and she said once she finally made up her mind that tailoring would be part of her clothing budget, she felt very empowered. This is my resolution for this year.

I totally agree with this. I'm petite and have a heavy bust, so I have to get pretty much everything tailored (always need to hem pants and even t-shirts sometimes, need to buy larger shirts and get them fitted to avoid the horrendous gape, etc), and that's been a part of my shopping budget for years now.

Sometimes it gets a bit frustrating though - I have this top which had complicated darts. Had to take to 3 different tailors to get it properly fitted. Was a loooong process.

I think to look really fabulous, one pretty much has to plan on having everything tailored. Even jeans and “minor” purchases. I have a friend that does this and she said once she finally made up her mind that tailoring would be part of her clothing budget, she felt very empowered. This is my resolution for this year.
I totally agree with this. I'm petite and have a heavy bust, so I have to get pretty much everything tailored (always need to hem pants and even t-shirts sometimes, need to buy larger shirts and get them fitted to avoid the horrendous gape, etc), and that's been a part of my shopping budget for years now.

Sometimes it gets a bit frustrating though - I have this top which had complicated darts. Had to take to 3 different tailors to get it properly fitted. Was a loooong process.
I agree also. 4 years ago I lost about 30 pounds. I didn't want to reinvest in a wardrobe, and wanted to keep wearing my favorite clothes (which are not expensive) until I ended dieting.
I had these tailored, sometimes 2 sizes down ! They were awsomely well fitted (and my new silhouette helped looking good, of course).
The tailor was also excellent, where I live now the one I met is pretty less talented, I'm glad I just gave him a 40€ dress to alter :-/

I agree also. 4 years ago I lost about 30 pounds. I didn't want to reinvest in a wardrobe, and wanted to keep wearing my favorite clothes (which are not expensive) until I ended dieting.
I had these tailored, sometimes 2 sizes down ! They were awsomely well fitted (and my new silhouette helped looking good, of course).
The tailor was also excellent, where I live now the one I met is pretty less talented, I'm glad I just gave him a 40€ dress to alter :-/
It would be such a relief if there were a way to know if a tailor is good before investing so much time and money.

It’s a great idea, but almost impossible here. I had some trousers fitted and it’s so insanely expensive to alter...

Reactions: Etriers
It’s a great idea, but almost impossible here. I had some trousers fitted and it’s so insanely expensive to alter...

Tailoring is not a skill that can't be learned. I do it by myself. I got a small sawing machine last year because I was tired taking every piece at least once. First I tried on old clothes and now I'm pretty good :smile:

I agree with all the rest - tailoring is part of looking good

Tailoring is not a skill that can't be learned. I do it by myself. I got a small sawing machine last year because I was tired taking every piece at least once. First I tried on old clothes and now I'm pretty good :smile:

I agree with all the rest - tailoring is part of looking good
I totally agree, I also alter my clothes myself. Many things are so much easier than it seems.
Especially with the length of skirts and dresses, a lot of people will either not buy the item if it's too long or not bother getting it altered and just wear it as it is if it's just a few inches away from the perfect length.

I totally agree, I also alter my clothes myself. Many things are so much easier than it seems.
Especially with the length of skirts and dresses, a lot of people will either not buy the item if it's too long or not bother getting it altered and just wear it as it is if it's just a few inches away from the perfect length.
yes. Years ago the stores would offer to do it themselves for a small fee, and the sales assistants (in France) would also show you how it could be altered and would pin it. We used to also get the great styling advice...But not anymore so paying half the price of the item just to touch up the length is definitely not something people do. Nowadays sales assistants are just students stacking up the shelves/racks...
With all the fast fashion, ill fitting items, buying online and returning cause nothing fits....I wonder if people will value again advice on what to wear?
I can see luxury/designer brands offering the online styling classes, but how about the less than Designer price? BTW Where is that spot between a 30$ H&M blazer and a 1000$ Tibi / Acne studios or 1500$ Magda Butrym blazer?

yes. Years ago the stores would offer to do it themselves for a small fee, and the sales assistants (in France) would also show you how it could be altered and would pin it. We used to also get the great styling advice...But not anymore so paying half the price of the item just to touch up the length is definitely not something people do. Nowadays sales assistants are just students stacking up the shelves/racks...
With all the fast fashion, ill fitting items, buying online and returning cause nothing fits....I wonder if people will value again advice on what to wear?
I can see luxury/designer brands offering the online styling classes, but how about the less than Designer price? BTW Where is that spot between a 30$ H&M blazer and a 1000$ Tibi / Acne studios or 1500$ Magda Butrym blazer?

I'd say the spot is at the outlet shops. I appreciate the quality but not the price tag that comes with it. So I look every so often at the outlet shops. 2-3 times a year I will find a garment/shoes/handbag/accessories that I like to add to my closet. Because the quality is very very high, those items will last me lifetime if I take care of them properly. I benefit in 2 ways:

1. I have a quality item that fits me very very well and I enjoy wearing. After I'm done, I can donate it so 2 more people will benefit - the one who buys it and the one who will be helped with the money. I can't really do that with any fast fashion - after the season it is really for the bin.
2. I keep my weight under control because I don't want to have to start from the beginning - it is easy to replace $30 H&M blazer, but not that easy a blazer I paid $150.

This is my experience and failures with attempting a capsule wardrobe on a budget :facepalm:

I have tried to make eBay work for me, attempting to nab designer pieces for excellent prices but more often than not this has just led to a disjointed collection of pieces and impulse buys. Excuse my dirty mirror but I just have to share how ridiculous the things I've acquired are.
reall1.jpgreall2.pngreall3.jpg

Attempting to find basics on eBay in great condition is very difficult without a strict plan, but it can be difficult to plan if you don't really have a good idea of what you want your style to be - at this point I find I don't really have a "style", but I do at least know what shapes work for my body-type and which colours for my skintone (I guess...)

At the moment, I feel like I am ok with shopping fast fashion for basics. I don't mind owning cheap cotton T-shirts that are unwearable after one season and then splurging most of my budget on key pieces. Sabina Savage has dropped her new line of scarves, I reckon one of those would make any ensemble look put together.

Oh so true. I remember as a teenager, going clothes shopping with my mum, you wouldn’t even expect to take anything home straight from the hanger. SAs were forever pinning hems and backs while you were trying out stuff. Many even carried pin cushions on their arms.

And now it happens less and less that shops offer tayloring even if some still do. That is my trick for finding a good tailor @Etriers , asking a store or boutique I trust for a reference for theirs. The trouble is that they always seem to tend to work with aged tailors who are forever retiring...
Anyway, this Winter I went to Moncler to ask about a repair to a jacket. They told me they don’t do repairs. I asked them for their tailor, as it is such a special fabric, and they said they no longer have one, as they don’t often any alterations or repairs :shocked:. So that’s luxury for you these days.

This is my experience and failures with attempting a capsule wardrobe on a budget :facepalm:

I have tried to make eBay work for me, attempting to nab designer pieces for excellent prices but more often than not this has just led to a disjointed collection of pieces and impulse buys. Excuse my dirty mirror but I just have to share how ridiculous the things I've acquired are.
View attachment 5053632View attachment 5053633View attachment 5053634

Attempting to find basics on eBay in great condition is very difficult without a strict plan, but it can be difficult to plan if you don't really have a good idea of what you want your style to be - at this point I find I don't really have a "style", but I do at least know what shapes work for my body-type and which colours for my skintone (I guess...)

At the moment, I feel like I am ok with shopping fast fashion for basics. I don't mind owning cheap cotton T-shirts that are unwearable after one season and then splurging most of my budget on key pieces. Sabina Savage has dropped her new line of scarves, I reckon one of those would make any ensemble look put together.

I completely agree with you. I was like that at the beginning that's why I set some strict rules and I learned my body - which are the critical parts, what fits me the best. I will never shop anything that doesn't fit my style just because it is cheap or I may wear it one day. I always leave the items in my bag for at least 2-3 days so I can think do I need them. There are exceptions - for example I just got from an outlet shop beige Valentino rockstuds sandals for about $130 - I was looking for such sandals for a while. At the same time there was a LV handbag I really liked but... I don't need it so it was a pass for me. I think meanwhile someone else grabbed it. At the moment I have a leather jacket and leather trousers waiting to decide do I want them or not. Probably will be a NO. So in the past 2 years I haven't returned even 1 single piece and I'm quite happy with everything I got,

About t-shirts, unless they are new (with or without tags), I won't buy them. But I won't buy from H&M either. I prefer Marks' and Spencer - they last me at least 2 years.