2021 Resolution: Shopping my own bag and SLG collection. Any one else?

NOVEMBER ACTIVITIES

1. Bags by Brand Showcase!

Each week, share photos of your bags from the specified brands. Choose a posed “beauty” shot or get your bags out and about in action shots!

We highlight 3 brands per week: 2 premier and 1 contemporary in alphabetical order as listed on tPF. Any brands not listed are showcased in our last week. Brands change to the next set each Sunday.

Our first brand week starts now - Sunday, Oct 31. Please share photos of bags from these brands:
  • Bottega Venetta
  • Burberry
  • Alexander Wang

Tip: Grab your photos from last year in the 2020 resolution thread. Search your user name and the brand to find your photos.

2. Special Stories
Thanks @Claudia Herzog for the suggestion

Wear a bag that has a backstory involving a person, place, or opportunity for which you feel grateful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful dark chocolate brown bags -- all that luscious leather!
That's interesting that brown is one of the more easily available colors (other than black) when looking at vintage. What about red?

Thank you! I absolutely love the unique shape of the Ellipse and how easy it is to see everything inside when opened. Such a chic bag! I have been exploring discontinued styles and vintage bags and it's a slippery slope!

Thank you! I adore brown bags!:biggrin:

The Lady Lock is one of the few styles I have that does not have a shoulder strap. I guess I could look for one but with this style, I am happy to carry it by hand. In fact I think it looks best when hand-held. Thanks for the compliments!:heart: And yes, the quality of Delvaux is impeccable.

Beiges and browns are some of my favorite colors. Thank you!:flowers:

Yes! I adore geometrically shaped bags. Sooo unique and unusual.

@baghabitz34 great stats and bag usage. I liked this comment, "I’m not looking to downsize my collection. I am however working on moving out stuff that no longer suits me, is too worn, etc."
@afroken I agree with your comment, "Collecting books is like curating your bag collection, there may be many books that you like, just like with bags, but it's not realistic nor financially feasible to get all of them. So you select the few that you want to keep physical copies of (such as a particular edition of a favourite book or art books), and the rest you can put on your e-reader."
Congratulations, too, on your new AoL Mayfair bag - the bordeaux is stunning and I love your picture.
@jblended kudos on your amazing core collection of books. I loved your stories and especially enjoyed hearing about your autographed complete works of Shakespeare by the Reduced Shakespeare Company.

I had to take a second look at Kermit before I got it… omg, that is sad & hysterical at the same time!!! Thank you for the giggle.
Thank you Elaine.

@880 spectacular beige, etoupe, tan, ebene and white bags pictures! :love:
I am still using Cooks Illustrated and America's Test Kitchen magazines and recipes online.

@JenJBS your Orchid Behno is so pretty!
@BowieFan1971 congratulations on your Puzzle scarf. It looks great on you!
I like your list a lot - simple and makes perfect sense. Feel the same about many of your likes.
Thanks Jereni!
Just FYI I stole this Kermit photo and sent it to like everyone I’ve ever met. This made my day, I laughed so hard. Thank you for sharing.
Ha ha, be my guest! I'm glad it made you laugh. :lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:
brown bags....

Here are some of mine:
Dior St. Germain (2006), My Dior large pockets (sorry, not sure about the year- 2005? 2007? )

View attachment 5048045View attachment 5048049

40ies croc bag

View attachment 5048062

50ies frame bags (the snakeskin might be older)

View attachment 5048063

60ies frame bags: Gabor and Mädler (paired with modern shoes)

View attachment 5048059View attachment 5048060

my workhose: Jaguar 60ies

View attachment 5048061

and a 60ies Goldpfeil

View attachment 5048064
Love the bag/shoe combos, especially the two tone pumps!!!!

Hey everyone! Even more updates:

The cosmic blossom pochette sale cleared! I now have the money - yay!

ANOTHER UPDATE: I want the stupid papillon haha.
So glad to hear it. I know you're breathing much easier now.
Bag Stats:
2 out (4 by the end of the day as I'm giving a couple of bags to my neighbor)
3 in
2 listed

I love the 3 that came in. I'm still in my "formative" years of bag collecting-- didn't start until 5 years ago and still figuring out what I like. So I have really appreciated reading everyone's likes and dislikes, some of which I share and others I hadn't thought of before but were helpful.

• crossbody bags that are small and structured
  • vintage and vintage-inspired bags
  • no logos
  • classic styles
  • school-style satchels
  • soft leather with a sheen
  • box leather
  • slim profiles
  • minimal backpacks
Dislikes
  • bags with lots of logos
  • fussy bags with lots of things going on; the exception is the Bal moto bag design, which seems to keep all of those elements (tassels, hardware, stitching) in perfect order
  • big structured bags in stiff leather
  • wide, boxy bags
Unclear
  • totes -- I don't totally dislike them because I own a number of them! I should clarify that I find them useful for lots of things like shopping, work-life, carrying things to the beach, etc. But if I have to choose a bag for the day, I wouldn't choose my totes. I prefer a single handle or crossbody instead.
The 3 bags that came in represent my leanings toward vintage bags, but they are new in style for me because of how structured they are. These are Aspinal of London Mayfair bags (I'm bag twins with @afroken with both of these bags. And thanks to @JenJBS for introducing me to this company). One is the older style which is a bit longer than their updated version. They have a mirror pocket, a feature from a lot of bags from the 50s and a top handle, but they also have lovely crossbody straps which makes them easy errand/day bags. The quality is exceptional and they seem to have ongoing sales on their bags.

These two are not this bright in inside light. In fact, the red bag is actually a deep burgundy:
View attachment 5044156

The third bag is so "me" that I can't seem to put it down: a softly structured, classic, minimal, and elegant design, great organization in terms of compartments and layout, multiple ways of carrying, and just a touch of bling. It is a discontinued Ferragamo style called Sofia that I got for a total steal. I love this bag so darn much that I may just start collecting them in different colors. It has a bit of a Bal City vibe, but can be dressed up a bit more, I think:
View attachment 5044158
I just love the "slouch" on your Sofia bag. I was starting to get all excited (even though I had managed to clear out five bags) and then I saw that it was discontinued. Near miss!

Yesterday we were out shopping with dd to find a bridal shower dress. We were in Ralph Lauren the one with the purple labels. I saw a love tan crossbody with a suede interior. I told my husband jokingly that would make a great mothers day gift knowing full well it was over a month away. What I did not think about is how much my husband hates to shop for gifts. Now I have a bag I can't have till mothers day. Do I count it as an in this month since it is in the house or next month when I actually get to have it? I was leaning towards this month even though I wanted to have a month of no ins.
I say count it next month. A months of no ins is worth it, and besides, you're not getting to carry it!