Is canvas being discontinued??

afcgirl

O.G.
Oct 30, 2006
Sorry if this has been discussed, but I was recently at an LV store in Florida and could not believe there were hardly any canvas bags in the store, not monogram or damier or even reverse. It was all leather items like the twist and capucines. I was shocked (and bored, which never happens to me in an LV store). There are also very few canvas bags online. What is going on? Can you even buy a new monogram Speedy 30 anymore? Is this due to Covid?

I heard from my CA that LV has a shortage of canvas items, hence the availability of even the most common items like the speedy 25b is hard to find at stores or online.
Thanks, did your SA mention whether it was an intentional shortage (to increase exclusivity)?. I am curious as to why there would be a shortage of canvas but not leather unless intentional.

Of course it is intentional :biggrin:
They print as much of that PVC as they want.
And this is quite a logical business decision. Canvas sells itself, even without being on display. They try to create a more lux image by trying to go Hermès, and do more leather. Maybe it's working, they know it better, but most of their new leather releases feel Michael Korsy instead of Hermès to me.

Of course it is intentional :biggrin:
They print as much of that PVC as they want.
And this is quite a logical business decision. Canvas sells itself, even without being on display. They try to create a more lux image by trying to go Hermès, and do more leather. Maybe it's working, they know it better, but most of their new leather releases feel Michael Korsy instead of Hermès to me.
I personally think this is a big mistake. There are so many leather options, Chanel, Hermes, Balenciaga, YSL, etc. No reason to stick with LV for a leather bag, IMO.

It’s dumb I ONLY go to LV for canvas. If I were to buy a leather bag it wouldn’t be from Louis Vuitton.
Agree. I would maybe buy one leather bag from LV but would also buy from other brands (and in fact I just did buy my first YSL leather bag which I love). In contrast to LV's canvas bags, which are unique to LV and somewhat addictive (at least for me). I just don't get this marketing strategy. I have no desire to go to an LV store for a while now, which I guess is good for my pocketbook.

They had truly luxurious leathers in the past. The original soft Mahina, the original Empreinte, and of course the Rolls-Royce of cowhide: Nomade (which is the LV version of what others — like Hermès — call Barenia). Those were all lux leathers. But they were delicate. Very delicate.
I don't know if their new wave of customers expected canvas-like durability from leather or they were simply coming from Micheal Kors and expected the same "leatherness", but Vuitton gave in and sacrificed haute maroquinerie for a false sense of durability. Their $4000 bags simply don't feel $4000.

I might be in the minority but I quite like LV taurillon leather. I think the pieces are lux and the leather quality way above some of the other brands mentioned in this thread. Nomade leather is also beautiful but yes, very delicate. I think clientele these days want their products to look pristine for as long as possible. LV are just trying to appease the masses. I had a convo with a leather SA at Hermes once and was surprised to learn that apparently the most requested leather was Epsom! I can’t comment on what previous Empriente leather was like but I’ve read threads where people complain how the monogram fades, colour fades etc. I guess they’ve gone for a more rigid leather that shows less signs of wear?

Reactions: AmbrosiaL
I might be in the minority but I quite like LV taurillon leather. I think the pieces are lux and the leather quality way above some of the other brands mentioned in this thread. Nomade leather is also beautiful but yes, very delicate. I think clientele these days want their products to look pristine for as long as possible. LV are just trying to appease the masses. I had a convo with a leather SA at Hermes once and was surprised to learn that apparently the most requested leather was Epsom! I can’t comment on what previous Empriente leather was like but I’ve read threads where people complain how the monogram fades, colour fades etc. I guess they’ve gone for a more rigid leather that shows less signs of wear?
You are absolutely right, Taurillon on its own is an absolute wonder too (understandable why Vuitton chose that to be the base leather for their Moynat brand). My issue with newer Vuitton Taurillon pieces is the craftsmanship. They tend to use edge-paint in contrasting colours, and that makes the the low precision of their glazing scream. The last time I checked the newly re-released Taurillon LockIt, it was a true beauty from afar, but up-close all those sloppy edges made me sad.
Yes, on the original Empreinte the embossing was slowly fading over time, and the tanning was more natural, less aggressive, so it was also prone to fading, and even scratches.
The Epsom info surprised me, but kind of understandable. That is the durable leather there. But Vuitton already had very nice durable options both for women and men with Épi and Taïga. Even though they are not high-end natural grain leathers, I consider both luxurious. They feel (and smell) like it. And they can be tanned to extremely vivid colours. The new Empreinte is the worst offender. It looks like a natural grain leather, but neither feels or smells like one.

They had truly luxurious leathers in the past. The original soft Mahina, the original Empreinte, and of course the Rolls-Royce of cowhide: Nomade (which is the LV version of what others — like Hermès — call Barenia). Those were all lux leathers. But they were delicate. Very delicate.
I don't know if their new wave of customers expected canvas-like durability from leather or they were simply coming from Micheal Kors and expected the same "leatherness", but Vuitton gave in and sacrificed haute maroquinerie for a false sense of durability. Their $4000 bags simply don't feel $4000.
I was going to say that too. I though about the Suhali and EPI line. I just got an Petite Noe in Epi from 1997, cleaned the hardware and it is good a new.

Last edited:
Reactions: amateurjeweler
You are absolutely right, Taurillon on its own is an absolute wonder too (understandable why Vuitton chose that to be the base leather for their Moynat brand). My issue with newer Vuitton Taurillon pieces is the craftsmanship. They tend to use edge-paint in contrasting colours, and that makes the the low precision of their glazing scream. The last time I checked the newly re-released Taurillon LockIt, it was a true beauty from afar, but up-close all those sloppy edges made me sad.
Yes, on the original Empreinte the embossing was slowly fading over time, and the tanning was more natural, less aggressive, so it was also prone to fading, and even scratches.
The Epsom info surprised me, but kind of understandable. That is the durable leather there. But Vuitton already had very nice durable options both for women and men with Épi and Taïga. Even though they are not high-end natural grain leathers, I consider both luxurious. They feel (and smell) like it. And they can be tanned to extremely vivid colours. The new Empreinte is the worst offender. It looks like a natural grain leather, but neither feels or smells like one.

That’s a real shame about craftsmanship. I read a lot of problems with LV but I always assumed it was a case of tpf being such a small pinnacle in their consumer base and bad news always travels faster. I would have thought that their high end pieces would demand excellent craftsmanship but maybe that’s reserved for their exotics? I always admired the capucine but a few years ago I was in store looking to purchase it and the flap wouldn’t fold properly over the front panel and the SA was trying to convince us that it was meant to be like that!? I didn’t buy it and thought what a plonker, trying to push an extremely expensive handbag and say “it’s normal”. I have an Armand MM briefcase in taurillon and the craftsmanship is really good...amazing? No. But I didn’t pay full price for it for that reason. To be honest I was happy with Epi and canvas with LV, if I wanted high grade leather with incredible craftsmanship I would be looking at other brands. My main issue is the prices for some of their “non high end leather” pieces have gone through the roof! If they are going to market themselves as high end leather ateliers with prices to match that’s fine but the quality needs to be there and I feel it’s becomes more of a “paying for the brand name” which is a real shame.