Ideal cut
VS2 clarity/D colour
55/55 table
61.7/61.9 depth
GIA triple excellent on cut, polish and symmetry
No fluorescence
Hearts and arrows
0.8 and 1.2 on HCA

My old ones were supposedly a similar size but look a lot smaller visually, so must have been poor quality although they did sparkle. I thought I was upgrading on quality but am thrilled that they look substantially bigger as well.

So happy with my new studs and would recommend going the custom route to anyone looking for new ones, I wish I hadn’t wasted my money now on my old ones even though I got them for a good price.

290AD60B-F6C6-4B7F-8CEE-BE87A580F3D9.jpegAB4D48F4-9A3F-47D6-AB34-7E76D4C86A1D.jpeg

04FC4D2F-325B-46EB-87AB-DA50D00E7143.jpeg

CF5F4F05-7AE9-4E94-BA21-1478E13F0EDA.jpeg

My new diamond studs arrived today from Blue Nile! 1.62 ttcw. Stats are:

0.81, 0.81
Ideal cut
VS2 clarity/D colour
55/55 table
61.7/61.9 depth
No fluorescence
Hearts and arrows
0.8 and 1.2 on HCA

My old ones were supposedly a similar size but look a lot smaller visually, so must have been poor quality although they did sparkle. I thought I was upgrading on quality but am thrilled that they look substantially bigger as well.

So happy with my new studs and would recommend going the custom route to anyone looking for new ones, I wish I hadn’t wasted my money now on my old ones even though I got them for a good price.

View attachment 5038489View attachment 5038490

View attachment 5038492

View attachment 5038493

Beautiful, enjoy!

• Love
Reactions: Onebagtoomany

0.81, 0.81
Ideal cut
VS2 clarity/D colour
55/55 table
61.7/61.9 depth
No fluorescence
Hearts and arrows
0.8 and 1.2 on HCA

View attachment 5038492

View attachment 5038493

glad you love them! I was thinking about trying the blue Nile platinum setting if I don’t fare well with the bony levy I just got! (I seem to have moderate reactions to even white gold earrings these days ‍*shrug*)

• Love
Reactions: Onebagtoomany
glad you love them! I was thinking about trying the blue Nile platinum setting if I don’t fare well with the bony levy I just got! (I seem to have moderate reactions to even white gold earrings these days ‍*shrug*)

Thanks! :smile: Yours sound lovely, hopefully you will get on with the setting! My studs are set in 18k yellow gold but seem very sturdy and well made, so I’m sure the platinum would be beautiful!

Just took this photo of one of my new studs - left, 0.81 carat - and one of my old studs - right, 0.80 carat. The difference in size is quite shocking. Is this likely to be purely down to cut/quality differences or did I get cheated when I bought the old ones?! It matters to me as the person I bought the old studs from is a jeweller I’ve known for years and trusted. I did get them for a ridiculously cheap price on the basis that they would be sold as seen and not officially certified but was given assurances regarding size and basic clarity/colour quality.

DCA3C55B-7C32-479A-BB0C-8F26A566B9CD.jpeg

Just took this photo of one of my new studs - left, 0.81 carat - and one of my old studs - right, 0.80 carat. The difference in size is quite shocking. Is this likely to be purely down to cut/quality differences or did I get cheated when I bought the old ones?! It matters to me as the person I bought the old studs from is a jeweller I’ve known for years and trusted. I did get them for a ridiculously cheap price on the basis that they would be sold as seen and not officially certified but was given assurances regarding size and basic clarity/colour quality.

View attachment 5038777

Maybe your older studs have more diamond weight in it’s depth versus it’s top table?

Your new diamond studs are gorgeous! :heart:

View attachment 5038777

Beautiful earrings!

Wow! That is a big difference. Without unmounting the stones, maybe you could measure them with a digital caliper to see if the only reason your old pair are smaller is due to the depth.

Maybe your older studs have more diamond weight in it’s depth versus it’s top table?

Your new diamond studs are gorgeous! :heart:

Thanks! :hugs:

I hope it’s something reasonable like you have suggested as it would be awful to think the jeweller lied :sad: When I compared the two sets of studs it was quite a shock, you would never think they are supposed to be virtually the same size.

Beautiful earrings!

Wow! That is a big difference. Without unmounting the stones, maybe you could measure them with a digital caliper to see if the only reason your old pair are smaller is due to the depth.

Thank you! That’s a good idea, I don’t have one but will see if I can get my hands on one. Another option is to take both sets in to another bricks and mortar jeweller I know and get his opinion but that will have to wait until the shops open here on the 12th. I would like to sell the old studs but can only do so and for a fair price when I know exactly what I have got size-wise!

This will not be so noticeable once on your ears.
Your studs are so pretty. Enjoy them.

The stud on the right is from the old pair so wouldn’t be worn at the same time, I just placed it next to one of the new ones to show the difference in size. I’m still hoping to sell the old ones once I establish exactly what size they are, they are pretty studs despite not being top quality and they do sparkle. I’m sure someone would be delighted with them for the right price.

• Love
Reactions: 880 and limom

View attachment 5038777

At the end of the day, the carat weight is just a weight. Basically 0.80 carats = 0.16 g. I also think it is like what @hers4eva has said ie more diamond weight in depth versus its top table. I guess it's like 2 people who weigh the same but their proportions are different so one looks thinner and the other looks wider...

0.81, 0.81
Ideal cut
VS2 clarity/D colour
55/55 table
61.7/61.9 depth
No fluorescence
Hearts and arrows
0.8 and 1.2 on HCA

View attachment 5038492

View attachment 5038493
Really beautiful and the perfect size! Congrats!