“3 in 1” Hermes Birkin from Fall/Winter 2021 Collection

psoucsd

O.G.
Sep 24, 2006
I know a thread has already been started for the Fall/Winter 2021 Collection but I thought this new Birkin style warranted its own discussion.

https://www.vogue.co.uk/fashion/article/hermes-3-in-1-birkin

I’m really intrigued by this new iteration of a Birkin. From what I can see from the videos and photos coming out online it looks like 2 separate pieces.

1. open tote without the flap, kind of like a Shadow Birkin but with usable sangles
2. envelope clutch using the flap of the bag.

Could wear them separately and the 3rd way would be to thread the sangles through the clutch and turn it into a traditional Birkin.

I haven’t seen really good quality photos of how the bag looks all combined together to form the traditional Birkin but I hope they would fit neatly together and not look craft projecty. I love it based on versatility of styling but not too sure how much I would really use the clutch by itself. Does anyone have an idea in terms of pricing for the “3 in 1”?

F0348B55-58F6-4AB5-8AD8-77FC4032ECE4.jpeg

0A22C4DE-1780-441E-AC3F-6D62C4DB83E1.jpeg

1A45D0AC-0B42-4ACB-90D2-39815B4CF434.jpeg

Wife thinks they’re “messing with a classic” but is intrigued. I wonder if they’ll make them in full leather insert as well. That would look like a more usable clutch.

Also, it’s great to see veins on the runway just reinforcing that they’re in no way a “defect”

Interesting design aside, I’m loving that color in the first pic!
Yes I was wondering what color it is too!

I’m quite interested by the 3-in-1 design because of the flexibility of it. Depending on the length of the dangles, you can give the birkin a closed look while still being able to open it up. It at least makes it a little less fussier to get in and out of if you carry it “closed”.

Wife thinks they’re “messing with a classic” but is intrigued. I wonder if they’ll make them in full leather insert as well. That would look like a more usable clutch.

Also, it’s great to see veins on the runway just reinforcing that they’re in no way a “defect”

Totally agree that it would be more functional as a full leather clutch

if I want to be positive about it, I think removing the flap will make a B35 lighter. but I do use the flap quite often. The insert has two holes on the side for the singles to go through so to close the bag which would make it harder for me to use it as a clutch alone. But adding even the canvas clutch-like insert will add a bit of weight. that A no no for B35 for sure. It Would make the space in a B30 To be even smaller. I don’t think this 3-in-1 is for me. I can think how Hermes is trying to be creative and comvolute different bag designs. But this one is not my cup of tea.

another one here. That piece of Togo and that color are just simply mesmerizing. Can’t take my eyes off it.
Interesting design aside, I’m loving that color in the first pic!
Yes I was wondering what color it is too!

I’m quite interested by the 3-in-1 design because of the flexibility of it. Depending on the length of the dangles, you can give the birkin a closed look while still being able to open it up. It at least makes it a little less fussier to get in and out of if you carry it “closed”.
Yes, loving that color too. It reminds of dark wash blue jeans and it looks like that yellow color thread in the contrasting stitch that jeans have too

Reactions: psoucsd
I think its great, different but keeping with the aesthetics of the Birkin that we all love. I actually never close my Birkins , so this precisely what I would need.
The pouch can be used to store items while in use. Maybe even transferred to other bags. It can be used as a clutch for a casual diner since it does have the canvas it is not 'cocktail party worthy' but its still practical for diner.
I worry about pricing, for sure it will be a high cost price, and at that price maybe getting a 'classic' bag is better for most.

So does the "clutch" just act as an insert that can be fastened to the front of the bag, if you decide to use both together...or do you all think there might be an attachment point in the back as well? Honestly, I don't think I would use both pieces together. I know most people carry their bags with the flap tucked in so it's an open tote (I would too if I owned one :P), but I think there would be times when I'd like to have the option to close it fully.....

But for those that only want an "open tote" Birkin, this might be a winner. And it would definitely make the larger sizes lighter if you remove the "insert".

So does the "clutch" just act as an insert that can be fastened to the front of the bag, if you decide to use both together...or do you all think there might be an attachment point in the back as well? Honestly, I don't think I would use both pieces together. I know most people carry their bags with the flap tucked in so it's an open tote (I would too if I owned one :P), but I think there would be times when I'd like to have the option to close it fully.....

But for those that only want an "open tote" Birkin, this might be a winner. And it would definitely make the larger sizes lighter if you remove the "insert".

It wouldn't be able to attach on the front because the turn lock would be in the way.
The clutch goes inside the bag with the flap hanging over the front or somewhere in the back of the bag depending on where you position it. If you look at the press photos a little more closely you can see holes for the sangles to string through.

Reactions: AmalieLotte92