2021 Resolution: Shopping my own bag and SLG collection. Any one else?

NOVEMBER ACTIVITIES

1. Bags by Brand Showcase!

Each week, share photos of your bags from the specified brands. Choose a posed “beauty” shot or get your bags out and about in action shots!

We highlight 3 brands per week: 2 premier and 1 contemporary in alphabetical order as listed on tPF. Any brands not listed are showcased in our last week. Brands change to the next set each Sunday.

Our first brand week starts now - Sunday, Oct 31. Please share photos of bags from these brands:
  • Bottega Venetta
  • Burberry
  • Alexander Wang

Tip: Grab your photos from last year in the 2020 resolution thread. Search your user name and the brand to find your photos.

2. Special Stories
Thanks @Claudia Herzog for the suggestion

Wear a bag that has a backstory involving a person, place, or opportunity for which you feel grateful.

Last edited by a moderator:
I adore it. BV and their colors. And in smooth buttery leather. Not good for my wallet.

YUM! The colors of these bags just make me want to go slurp!

There was a season a few years back when BRIGHT vivid green, with a slight hint of minty-ness, was THE color. I can’t remember if I bought anything at the time, but your first bag reminds me of it.

I’m about to go get this Polene purchase done bc all these gorgeous bags are making me green with envy... ha... #seewhatididthere

Thank you! :flowers: I also love BV and their colors. But like you say, not good for the wallet.

Polene purchase! :yahoo::happydance: Enjoy!

Reactions: keodi and Jereni
Popping in but not at all caught up. I hope to read the 10+ pages that I've missed out on and get caught up in the next few days. Hope everyone is keeping well! :flowers:

Question for the group on whether this would be morally wrong. A friend of mine found a pre-loved Halston bag in a thrift store, that is practically brand new. She asked me if I would like it, given how fond I am of my clutches from the brand.
I was shocked to see that the bag looks very similar to the Givenchy Pandora. I mean, eerily similar, bar the different brand name and the fact that it's triangular rather than a box shape. Looking at the bag from the front, it could be mistaken for a Pandora. From the side, when carried, it looks like a slouchy pandora- you don't notice the slight difference in the overall shape.

I have always wanted to purchase a mini pandora but was not sure if the shape would work on me because I've never carried anything like it, and it is currently not a bag I can afford (nor would necessarily think to save up towards if I'm not certain whether the style is functional for me).

Would it be wrong to test out the style with the cheaper 'inspired' version? It's not a replica or direct copy. Halston is its own brand but this bag is very close to the real thing. I'll try to find a picture online to attach.
I'm actually torn because, to my simple mind, it looks so close to the real deal. Then again, I've never seen a pandora in real life, so maybe it doesn't look that similar to anyone else? :hrmm:

Where do you guys stand on using a cheaper version to test out a style, with the intention of upgrading to the real deal if the style works for you and becomes attainable at a later stage in life when finances permit? :hrmm:

Edit: found a picture...
halston.jpeg

Last edited:
Popping in but not at all caught up. I hope to read the 10+ pages that I've missed out on and get caught up in the next few days. Hope everyone is keeping well! :flowers:

Question for the group on whether this would be morally wrong. A friend of mine found a pre-loved Halston bag in a thrift store, that is practically brand new. She asked me if I would like it, given how fond I am of my clutches from the brand.
I was shocked to see that the bag looks very similar to the Givenchy Pandora. I mean, eerily similar, bar the different brand name and the fact that it's triangular rather than a box shape. Looking at the bag from the front, it could be mistaken for a Pandora. From the side, when carried, it looks like a slouchy pandora- you don't notice the slight difference in the overall shape.

I have always wanted to purchase a mini pandora but was not sure if the shape would work on me because I've never carried anything like it, and it is currently not a bag I can afford (nor would necessarily think to save up towards if I'm not certain whether the style is functional for me).

Would it be wrong to test out the style with the cheaper 'inspired' version? It's not a replica or direct copy. Halston is its own brand but this bag is very close to the real thing. I'll try to find a picture online to attach.
I'm actually torn because, to my simple mind, it looks so close to the real deal. Then again, I've never seen a pandora in real life, so maybe it doesn't look that similar to anyone else? :hrmm:

Where do you guys stand on using a cheaper version to test out a style, with the intention of upgrading to the real deal if the style works for you and becomes attainable at a later stage in life when finances permit? :hrmm:

View attachment 4999300
Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Honestly there are only so many bag shapes, it isn't surprising that they get repeated by different brands. That isn't something they can copyright, which is why brands rely on logos for copyrightable items.

I bought a Issy Miyake bao bao lookalike in a thrift store because I wanted to see if I liked the idea before I spent a bundle on the real thing.

View attachment 4999300

Definitely try it out! I see nothing wrong with it as it isn’t pretending to be Givenchy!

I’ve tried blue bags several times but I never seem to get enough wear out of them. Which is weird because I love wearing pink, and blue and pink are one of my absolute favorite color combos.

I will say that I have my eye on a blue bag for later this year, which I suspect will be the one that sticks. This velvet flap is supposed to come out in the Chanel 21A collection and I think it is to die for. Would wear it with rich jewel-tone pink, rich jewel-tone green, black, even some shades of purple....

View attachment 4998582

In other ‘news’, I continue to have luck rotating vigorously through my bag collection since the start of the year. In Jan I wore every bag twice (other than my super summery Coach bag), and I’m on track again for this month.

Today broke this one out... this was one of my Jan purchases that I didn’t show off yet. BV mini pouch in the ‘amaranto’ color, which is a vibrant magenta pink - my favorite shade of pink. The color in this photo is pretty good, but in person I would say there is a slightly stronger purple modifier than this pic would suggest.
View attachment 4998587
This is gorgeous! So is the one you are thinking of buying.

Well, I completely agree with you about Marco's outstanding customer service. When I decided to buy a bag from him, he was a joy to work with. He found the exact leather I was looking for (NOT on his web site… tucked away in a corner of his workshop) and he made suggestions about the type of hardware that would look good with that leather.

I'm thrilled with my (one & only) MM bag, the Luna, and before the pandemic had me sheltering in place I found myself reaching for it often. Everything about it is perfect.

I've not been tempted by any of his other bags, though. And, while I know many tPF members get all excited about customizing, like mixing a bunch of leather colors together, I must admit I'm generally not crazy about how those customized bags come out. The only way I customized my Luna was to have him make the strap a bit shorter for me, since I'm short. And to add a pocket on the back for my cell phone (but this was already one of the available options, so I assumed it would work… and it did!).

View attachment 4998712
The color and that nice wide strap are fabulous.

Love your green collection! Green is my favorite color and the posts this week are making me feel silly that I don’t have more of it!

The Ergo and Rogue are my favorites!

I struggle with blue bags because I wear a lot of (a) jeans, so I’m not a fan of the blue-on-blue effect, and (b) black pants, and while black goes with everything, there’s a lot of shades of blue that I think don’t look good with black (pastel blues for example).

The Trotteur is for sure a great bag, and it looked GORGEOUS in that stock photo. In person however, it was just a little ‘off’ for me. Strap was a little too short, bag was a little too small, grained leather was a little too dull, etc. Also the green was slightly grassier in person than having the blueish modifier that I was looking for.

In general, while I love Celine and count them as one of my favorite three brands, I typically only like their smooth leather bags. Their grained leather is usually quite matte, and does not feel luxurious to me when that is the case. But I LOVE my smooth luggage tote and my smooth leather ‘big bag.’
Thanks for the details about the Trotteur. I have the same issue with grainy leathers. No like. I love me a smooth and luscious leather.

I’ve tried blue bags several times but I never seem to get enough wear out of them. Which is weird because I love wearing pink, and blue and pink are one of my absolute favorite color combos.

I will say that I have my eye on a blue bag for later this year, which I suspect will be the one that sticks. This velvet flap is supposed to come out in the Chanel 21A collection and I think it is to die for. Would wear it with rich jewel-tone pink, rich jewel-tone green, black, even some shades of purple....

View attachment 4998582

In other ‘news’, I continue to have luck rotating vigorously through my bag collection since the start of the year. In Jan I wore every bag twice (other than my super summery Coach bag), and I’m on track again for this month.

Today broke this one out... this was one of my Jan purchases that I didn’t show off yet. BV mini pouch in the ‘amaranto’ color, which is a vibrant magenta pink - my favorite shade of pink. The color in this photo is pretty good, but in person I would say there is a slightly stronger purple modifier than this pic would suggest.
View attachment 4998587
Great color! I am a total sucker for these intrecciato bags.

I have to confess that high-end red lipstick is a bit of an obsession for me. I wear it almost every day even when I don't see anyone but my family. It just cheers me up. I was seasonally analyzed as a "Bright Winter" so I choose colors from my palette that work for my undertone (which is slightly cool and needs bright, clear colors):
  • Tom Ford Cherry Lush (A true cherry red; blueish-pinky red. Beautiful formula; for that price, it should be)
  • Chanel #104 Passion (very true red, slightly cool. Think "classic.")
  • Chanel #102 Palpitante (pinkish-red, but on me, it leans toward dark pink. Goes on more muted than my other lippies. Currently one of my faves-- aptly named).
  • Bite Sour Cherry (dark cherry red. They discontinued this color and I'm very sad about it)
  • Guerlain #21 Cherry Red (do you see a theme here? -- Bright cherry red. Beautiful coverage, and packaging TDF)
  • YSL #11 Rouge Gouache (One of my favorites in terms of shades, longevity, and shine. It is really hard to describe what the color is, but it is beautiful--kind of like a strawberry red. Sadly, they have discontinued it. BOOOO)
Reds that don't work on me:
  • Dior #999 red. This is Dior's classic red but sadly I can't wear it because it looks orange on me! I bet this lippie would look great on anyone who has warm undertones and can rock orange-red. Seriously looking to give it away so it doesn't go to waste but right now during COVID that is not a possibility.
I am always looking for a good red. I will save this list, but then won't remember where I saved it. Anyway, thanks!!!

Thank you so much for your kind words @ElainePG! I remember not being able to lift more than five pounds (post hysterectomy). It’s so aggravating, and I hope your recovery from back (?) surgery is quick and easy ! Hugs

@SakuraSakura, congrats on the bao bao! What color or,pattern did you get? Would love to see an action shot!

Green bags: the evelyne is sauge which is a bit hard to photo ( also 35 trim II with coupon indiennes, duo etriers, Bolduc, and cheval sur mon carre cashmere silk GMs). Second pic is hand painted metallic striped ghurka camo backpack (canvas leather) and nylon Prada cross body, vintage from my own closet)
View attachment 4997825 View attachment 4997826
God, this trim is so gorgeous. And PHW~~~!!!