19, and with prominent neck cords(?) when I smile

hatzy

Mar 29, 2020
To be more specific, I don’t like to grin much because the tendons in my neck seem to stick out tremendously which then makes me feel subconscious. I tried looking this up and apparently it’s a sign of aging, but I’m 19. Could it be a genetic factor..? I also worry that their appearance is exacerbated by my weight. I’m not sure what could possibly help, any tips would be appreciated. Thank you.

*The teeth are another matter, I plan on getting braces to correct the overbite.
7F52489D-341E-406D-A1AA-9536DBE2442C.jpeg

To be more specific, I don’t like to grin much because the tendons in my neck seem to stick out tremendously which then makes me feel subconscious. I tried looking this up and apparently it’s a sign of aging, but I’m 19. Could it be a genetic factor..? I also worry that their appearance is exacerbated by my weight. I’m not sure what could possibly help, any tips would be appreciated. Thank you.

*The teeth are another matter, I plan on getting braces to correct the overbite.
View attachment 4997275
I see nothing wrong with your neck and I don't really see an overbite either. Is that quest for perfection what the age of the Internet has wrought? Please dont be so hard on yourself. You're a pretty young woman.

View attachment 4997275
To add to what’s already been written: Good heavens, woman, you are quite gorgeous! I know that it’s not easy for us to see ourselves as we truly are when we look in the mirror, but know that what we’re telling you is truth. For once, you CAN believe what you read on the ‘net, because we have no reason to lie. You look like a young Julia Roberts!

View attachment 4997275
Nothing sticks out "tremendously" at all! you have a lovely smile. There is absolutely nothing wrong with your neck :flowers:

Reactions: lou123 and sdkitty
To add to what’s already been written: Good heavens, woman, you are quite gorgeous! I know that it’s not easy for us to see ourselves as we truly are when we look in the mirror, but know that what we’re telling you is truth. For once, you CAN believe what you read on the ‘net, because we have no reason to lie. You look like a young Julia Roberts!

I was thinking Julia Roberts, too! @hatzy please put any ideas of plastic surgery out of your mind. You are beautiful. It saddens me that you are so hard on yourself. I think counseling would help you gain confidence and self-esteem. Are you open to speaking with a therapist?

Hey 19. I think you look great. However, fyi those bands are muscles (platysmal), and they are treatable. I found a short explanation which I will attach.

Last edited:
I was thinking about this thread and the OP during my yoga class this morning.
All too often we compare ourselves to how others look. Everyone is different.
OP, you are still a young woman to even begin to consider changing yourself.

Talk to your doctor first about what you consider to be a problem. Is it a medical problem? Is it body dysmorphia?
Maybe you can try yoga or other approaches to "fix" what you see as a problem. Thinking of you! :heart:

This is NOT a sign of aging. This is you being thin and having strong neck muscles (I've had it all my life, since I was 10 probably!). Only you will even notice it.

If you don't like it when you're older, you can ease the definition with Botox but you do NOT want to do this while your face and body are still developing. Again, no one is seeing this but you (and us because you are telling us about it).

Your smile is amazing, you are gorgeous, you do NOT need braces.....PLEASE do whatever you need to do to see this without making changes physically :heart: