VCA ~ Van Cleef Arpels Discussion thread!

Thanks so much for your reply. I took a few photos last night but they’re not the best (and it’s still dark and rainy right now). The motif with the the marks/rust is in the first photo. I attempted to capture the “cloudiness” (circled) on the other motifs in the second and third photo, but it was a bit difficult to.

The marks/rust don’t appear normal based on what I’ve seen, but I’m not sure about the “cloudiness”. Any thoughts based on the photos would be appreciated. Thanks again for all your help.View attachment 4955040View attachment 4955041View attachment 4955042

Hi! It tried Chalcedony on at the store, but don’t own one. However to me this looks like a perfectly fine Chalcedony based on what I saw.
Hope this helps, unless others say there’s something to worry about.

Thanks so much for taking the time to check on your necklace and taking photos. The cloudiness on my bracelet seems to follows the clover shape (almost like a cloudy border along the edge of the stone). In your photos, I see the striations as lines running from the top left to the bottom right of the clover, with some areas that are translucent. Is the translucency the “cloudy” that you’re seeing? (Apologies if I’ve totally missed what you’re referring to). Thanks again!
my friend had such «clouds» in the form of a clover on a new MOP bracelet, SA said that this is normal

It is hard to tell from the first photo if there is damage or just unfortunate placement of the natural striations. Either way, I would request an exchange for a bracelet with more attractive stones. The later photos appear to be marks from finger oils or the environment that will come off with a polishing cloth, but I suspect that your item was either a return or was handled a bit and not cleaned well prior to being sent to you. In either case, I would still opt to exchange it for a better bracelet.
my friend had such «clouds» in the form of a clover on a new MOP bracelet, SA said that this is normal
Hi! It tried Chalcedony on at the store, but don’t own one. However to me this looks like a perfectly fine Chalcedony based on what I saw.
Hope this helps, unless others say there’s something to worry about.

Thank you @nicole0612 @Candy_landy and @Bunny_in_Love. I’m glad to hear the cloudiness is normal and/or should come off with a gentle wipe using a cleaning cloth. I’m still a bit concerned about the rust/marks, and will be bringing in the bracelet for the SA to see at the end of the week. It’s finally a sunny day, so I’ve attached a photo collage that hopefully captures the marks more (once you click on the thumbnail). Thanks again everyone!
DDBB0B72-3158-485D-8444-214B93CBB1F8.jpeg

Hi all,

I sadly lost my VCA vintage Alhambra pendant recently and went to a store to replace. Tried on the same necklace and felt like the chain was thicker than my previous one (my old one was bought ~2013 or so). I'll probably still purchase this necklace as I loved my other one and am sad that it's gone. But have to wonder-- am I crazy or has VCA updated vintage Alhambra pendant chain over the years? Any other updates or changes that people know of? Any info appreciated! Thx!

Reactions: hhw
Thank you @nicole0612 @Candy_landy and @Bunny_in_Love. I’m glad to hear the cloudiness is normal and/or should come off with a gentle wipe using a cleaning cloth. I’m still a bit concerned about the rust/marks, and will be bringing in the bracelet for the SA to see at the end of the week. It’s finally a sunny day, so I’ve attached a photo collage that hopefully captures the marks more (once you click on the thumbnail). Thanks again everyone!
View attachment 4956404
Yes the "rust" definitely does not look normal. I can see it on the other prong as well, just not as thickly caked yet.

So I’ve been wanting a more substantial earring and had been thinking an open hoop (so non VCA) but then I stopped by my boutique today and tried these (they’re GMOP though they look white in the pic)! Don’t think I’d go for rose gold but definitely got me thinking about the 2 motif. Ladies who have this style - do you find them too heavy or over the top for every day wear?
I tried pave, gray MOP two motif earrings on, and they were light compared to the YG/WG buton d’or. I have a wider face and am not small boned, so I’d have no problem wearing them everyday. But, I like big jewelry for everyday, and i wear everything with a t shirt and jeans. Here are two pics: the two motif and the buton d’or (I don’t have either yet but am planning on the buton d’or next. As per both my DH and SA, the two motif looked young and casual on my face, but maybe that was bc I was wearing a shirt and jeans.
BTW, I like the open hoop Diamond that you posted! Hope to see what you decide :biggrin:
2122F550-10F4-4428-984D-60B38179B6C7.jpeg 1DB6D23A-21FE-4745-8A4C-967FF4466FFF.jpeg
thanks. @cafecreme15 and @jenaywins, am planning to do so this year :biggrin:

Last edited:
I tried pave, gray MOP two motif earrings on, and they were light compared to the YG/WG buton d’or. I have a wider face and am not small boned, so I’d have no problem wearing them everyday. But, I like big jewelry for everyday, and i wear everything with a t shirt and jeans. Here are two pics: the two motif and the buton d’or (I don’t have either yet but am planning on the buton d’or next. As per both my DH and SA, the two motif looked young and casual on my face, but maybe that was bc I was wearing a shirt and jeans.
BTW, I like the open hoop Diamond that you posted! Hope to see what you decide :biggrin:
View attachment 4956505 View attachment 4956540
Thank you! I really like the diamond hoops too! I started second guessing myself when I showed a picture to my VCA SA and she said they looked costume-y, but I think they look fun and modern. I like a little irreverence here and there in my fine jewelry - keeps things interesting. I love both these earrings on you! Agree the 2 motif looks more young and fun and the buton d'or look more dressy and refined. I.e. There is a time and place for both!

I agree that the two motif is very fun and modern on you versus the Buton.

I really like the two motif also as it feels to me almost like two pairs of earrings if that makes sense. You have the "stud" at the top, and then bonus material as the earring goes on! :nuts:

Buy them. :sneaky:

Timing is everything with Malachite :tup: You can't go wrong with this piece :hugs:

My guess was Chalcedony ;) I have the Pave Frivole and 3-flower Socrate earrings both in WG but no other WG pieces. I think this Magic Long Pendant will be a small enough dose of WG. What do you think?

I absolutely love your MLP in GMOP btw :hbeat:
Yes definitely!

Let me see if I can get my SA to send a picture of the MA Chalcedony. It was a really nice textured one. It reminded me of the wave patterns on one of my favorite rocks when I used to collect them as a child.

As I age, I am finding that I love the long MA pendants more and more. Somedays, the pendant gives my outfit enough 'oomph' where I don't have to go the extra mile to wear/carry extra accessories to make a casual outfit more dressy; I love that! If I had to add a bit of WG to my collection, I would definitely add the Chalcedony MA pendant.

Yes definitely!

Let me see if I can get my SA to send a picture of the MA Chalcedony. It was a really nice textured one. It reminded me of the wave patterns on one of my favorite rocks when I used to collect them as a child.

As I age, I am finding that I love the long MA pendants more and more. Somedays, the pendant gives my outfit enough 'oomph' where I don't have to go the extra mile to wear/carry extra accessories to make a casual outfit more dressy; I love that! If I had to add a bit of WG to my collection, I would definitely add the Chalcedony MA pendant.
Thank you for your insight and your offer to get a pic - the MLP definitely seems very versatile and Chalcedony can be quite the chameleon :tup:

Hey y’all! Can I get an opinion? I have a guilloche vintage necklace and am looking to pair a smaller necklace with it. Am debating between MOP sweet or frivole or maybe the carnelian sweet. Has anyone tried mixing metals (yellow gold/ rose gold) and how does it look? Also, any issues with tangling or scratches when layering? Thank you!C91F598F-CF58-49F6-8442-5858C4FD2694.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 880 and TankerToad
View attachment 4956404

This definitely looks defective to me.

Ahhh both look really fab on - tough choice - very different each

• Love
Reactions: 880
View attachment 4956404

Yes, now it does not look right with this rust :sad:

hi guys I didn’t want to start a new thread but I just wanted to see if anyone has any experience with this. I bought this 5 motif MOP back in October and just noticed there one motif has some sort of a surface on the stone. All I know is that it wasn’t like this before and I can’t seem to get it off with the cloth :confused1:

Attachments

• FA928EDE-2881-4BF4-B2D1-E95A30F0A213.png
    FA928EDE-2881-4BF4-B2D1-E95A30F0A213.png
    527.1 KB · Views: 157