What Perfume Are You Wearing Today?

It really is. Malle has some really good comfort fragrances. I really like Musc Ravageur and Dans Tes Bras for that reason.
Ooh, I am curious now about Dans Tes Bras. I was aware of it, but hadn't paid much attention to it before. I need to check it out. Musc Ravageur is an interesting one. Sometimes it presents a cozy and comforting aspect, like wearing a nice, big cuddly knit cardigan. At other times, it feels like there are some more nuances to it, but then, my testing of this scent has been somewhat preliminary, and I am still learning about this fragrance. I have a nice sized sample and need to wear it again and understand it a bit more.

But yeah, I have really been drawn to my comfort scents in the last few months. Actually, for me, Bois d'Argent also sort of falls in this category. It's my favorite right now from amongst the Maison Christian Dior scents.

Today's fragrance: Serge Lutens Borneo 1834.

• Love
Reactions: 880
I had not much fun with all those scents when oud was suddenly everywhere...in most parfumes it was too much in the foreground and often I thought it was just a cheap ingratiation to a trend.

The new version (M7 absolue) is not bad but the caracter changed completely. It as been an elegant and fine, perhaps a bit boring but also very deep woody men's fragrance, so the oriental side is now particularly emphasized in a more "in your face" manner.
At least I find it interesting that in the course of a reformulation a fragrance is not watered down for a change, but intensified.

Oh, and my SOTD: So Pretty by Cartier
Yes, for a while there, oud was a very big trend in perfumery. While it's still popular, I think the trend has kind of slowed down a bit now and we are not seeing it quite as much as before. I agree with you that not all reformulations are watered down, but a lot of them are changed (and this change can be disconcerting to those who are accustomed to the specific way a perfume smells). And it seems that in some cases, they are changed and intensified rather than watered down (as in the case of M7).

I was thinking about the reformulation of Jean Patou Sublime the other day. The original version (with the teardrop shaped cap) is so different from the reformulation (in the rectangular bottle). The newer version is not watered down at all, but just different. I actually like both versions. And now, I've been hearing that the Patou scents will no longer be made, so whatever is on the shelves is all there will be. Such iconic fragrances -- Joy, 1000, Sublime, Eau de Patou.....

I have about a quarter bottle left of Cartier So Pretty and am using it judiciously. Will need to see if I can find it online when I eventually run out -- such a lovely fragrance!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Sferics and 880
Ooh, I am curious now about Dans Tes Bras. I was aware of it, but hadn't paid much attention to it before. I need to check it out.
I think the name is totally appropriate for Dans Tes Bras, as it translates to "in your arms" and it kind of captures the salty muskiness of skin.

There is a lot of nuance to Musc Ravageur, but it's always very warm and comfortable for me to wear. The first time I tried it, it totally grossed me out, but now I really love it.

I think the name is totally appropriate for Dans Tes Bras, as it translates to "in your arms" and it kind of captures the salty muskiness of skin.

There is a lot of nuance to Musc Ravageur, but it's always very warm and comfortable for me to wear. The first time I tried it, it totally grossed me out, but now I really love it.
I've been meaning to order samples of Noir Epices and Superstitious, and I'm adding Dans Tes Bras to the list. I've also been debating about trying Le Parfum de Therese, but I'm thinking I'll pass on that for the time being.

It's interesting how it takes a bit of time and repeated testings before some perfumes click -- sounds like that was your experience with Musc Ravageur. I think I've had that experience with a couple of perfumes as well. On the other hand, there have also been a few perfumes that I really liked as soon as I sniffed them, but the liking did not endure when I tried them a few more times. I was just glad I did not impulsively buy a full bottle after trying them the first time.

Last edited:
It's interesting how it takes a bit of time and repeated testings before some perfumes click -- sounds like that was your experience with Musc Ravageur. I think I've had that experience with a couple of perfumes as well.
I've heard a lot of people say that about the Frederic Malle line in general: it took a few tries to really understand a lot of them. I think that speaks to the complexity of the perfumes in the line. They're not easy, so they're not really appealing to people who make snap judgements.

Some Le Labos have been like that for me, as well. I hated the line for the longest time, but now some of my favorites in my collection are Le Labos.

Reactions: Purses & Perfumes
I've been meaning to order samples of Noir Epices and Superstitious, and I'm adding Dans Tes Bras to the list. I've also been debating about trying Le Parfum de Therese, but I'm thinking I'll pass on that for the time being.

It's interesting how it takes a bit of time and repeated testings before some perfumes click -- sounds like that was your experience with Musc Ravageur. I think I've had that experience with a couple of perfumes as well. On the other hand, there have also been a few perfumes that I really liked as soon as I sniffed them, but the liking did not endure when I tried them a few more times. I was just glad I did not impulsively buy a full bottle after trying them the first time.
I always know at first sniff whether a scent is a go or no. So many nos, but it makes my life easier.
Has anyone snagged a sample of Chanel's Le Lion? I am most curious.

Reactions: Purses & Perfumes
Christian Dior Feve Delicieuse

375x500.48392.jpg

I've heard a lot of people say that about the Frederic Malle line in general: it took a few tries to really understand a lot of them. I think that speaks to the complexity of the perfumes in the line. They're not easy, so they're not really appealing to people who make snap judgements.

Some Le Labos have been like that for me, as well. I hated the line for the longest time, but now some of my favorites in my collection are Le Labos.
Yes, it does take a few tries to understand some of the more complex ones. Also, when perfumers use new notes or combine an unusual set of notes in a complex composition, it takes me a little bit of time to really understand the scent.

Some of the Serge Lutens scents are also ones it has taken me a while to grow into because of the unexpected twists and turns in the composition. When I first tried Ambre Sultan, I wasn't sure about it at all. I thought something about it was too much -- maybe the spices in it. But I kept thinking about it over time, and when I eventually decided to sample it again, I found myself liking the scent a lot. Perhaps it was because they toned down the spice in the newer version I tried, or perhaps my tastes had changed.....not sure. Anyway, I now own a full bottle.

Le Labo is a house I haven't tried at all. I've noticed they offer sample sets so I plan to explore the house at some point.

• Love
I always know at first sniff whether a scent is a go or no. So many nos, but it makes my life easier.
Has anyone snagged a sample of Chanel's Le Lion? I am most curious.
It does make life easier, especially when there are so many perfumes out there. The ones that I revisited are usually the ones that stayed in my mind, and I felt like I needed to explore or try them again because of the complexity and the different facets and dimensions to the scent.

I haven't tried Le Lion yet, but am also curious to hear from anyone who has tried the perfume.

Last edited:
  • Love