Guilloche for everyday wear?

eliseypeesey

Dec 13, 2020
hi everyone!
I’ve been eyeing the 5 motif guilloche for a long while now and would like to add it to my collection for my birthday!
I wanted to know if any of you wear your bracelet without ever taking it off? I know the hammered gold is more suited for everyday but I’m just not really a fan of it. I’d like to know whether it is easily scratched and whether that bothers you a lot? It’s a big purchase for me so I want to take care of it but I also want to be able to enjoy my piece!
Also does anybody know whether the SA’s give out the Alhambra coffee table book to anyone or do you have to spend a lot to be given it?

hi everyone!
I’ve been eyeing the 5 motif guilloche for a long while now and would like to add it to my collection for my birthday!
I wanted to know if any of you wear your bracelet without ever taking it off? I know the hammered gold is more suited for everyday but I’m just not really a fan of it. I’d like to know whether it is easily scratched and whether that bothers you a lot? It’s a big purchase for me so I want to take care of it but I also want to be able to enjoy my piece!
Also does anybody know whether the SA’s give out the Alhambra coffee table book to anyone or do you have to spend a lot to be given it?

Hello! I’ve seen many TPFers here advising against Guilloche as an everyday bracelet unless one does not care much about scratches. If that’s you, go for it if you love it!

Don’t own one, I went for RG hammered gold. It’s beautiful, I love its color and light play and it’s really carefree.

DH made an attempt to request the book, soon I will know if that was a success or not :smile: as I understand it differs, but if you ask you might get it.

Reactions: Pchul
My SA told me not to get the guilloche 5 motif as an everyday bracelet, especially if I plan on stacking with other bracelets. She said it will scratch very easily, and then you can't buff out the scratches. I ended up getting the yellow gold hammered version. It's not as shiny but it's still very beautiful and I can wear it all the time without being worried about scratching.

I was offered the Alhambra coffee table book because I had a not-so-great experience the first time I was at the store, and so the boutique director gave it to me as an apology gift. That being said, on my next purchase I asked for another book and he gave me one. I think you should just try asking. The worst they can say is no, but if you say you're getting it for yourself as a birthday gift, they usually try to make the experience a special one for you. My friend made her first purchase recently and told them she was getting herself wedding jewelry and the SA gifted her a set of beautiful correspondence cards.

I have the 10 motif hammered gold and don’t own any guilloche, but I personally would be fine wearing it as an everyday piece. It’s really beautiful!

it certainly is! im currently torn between the guilloche and the onyx!!

Hello! I’ve seen many TPFers here advising against Guilloche as an everyday bracelet unless one does not care much about scratches. If that’s you, go for it if you love it!

Don’t own one, I went for RG hammered gold. It’s beautiful, I love its color and light play and it’s really carefree.

DH made an attempt to request the book, soon I will know if that was a success or not :smile: as I understand it differs, but if you ask you might get it.

yeah look, I would probably baby it for a while right after i purchase but later down the line, Im going to want to wear it more often!

My SA told me not to get the guilloche 5 motif as an everyday bracelet, especially if I plan on stacking with other bracelets. She said it will scratch very easily, and then you can't buff out the scratches. I ended up getting the yellow gold hammered version. It's not as shiny but it's still very beautiful and I can wear it all the time without being worried about scratching.

I was offered the Alhambra coffee table book because I had a not-so-great experience the first time I was at the store, and so the boutique director gave it to me as an apology gift. That being said, on my next purchase I asked for another book and he gave me one. I think you should just try asking. The worst they can say is no, but if you say you're getting it for yourself as a birthday gift, they usually try to make the experience a special one for you. My friend made her first purchase recently and told them she was getting herself wedding jewelry and the SA gifted her a set of beautiful correspondence cards.

me too! the first time i bought my bracelet, I felt like the SA was being a bit condescending to me. Maybe it was because i just bought a small thing ( sweet alhambra MOP). But my current SA knows that my previous experience wasn't very positive and also that it will be my birthday! Im just wanting some freebies to make the occasion more special haha

I have purchased guilloche 5 motif bracelet and the matching pendant as my very first VCA. I got them back in April and have worn them very frequently. I do stack with 5 motif MOP time to time without any issue but that could be because my bracelets aren’t very loose around my wrist- I don’t like very loose fitting bracelets as I don’t like too much movements when wearing them therefore I have shortened both.
Sorry.. doesn’t look like I have given you any solid answer here but good luck in deciding! It is definitely a gorgeous piece to own^_^

I have purchased guilloche 5 motif bracelet and the matching pendant as my very first VCA. I got them back in April and have worn them very frequently. I do stack with 5 motif MOP time to time without any issue but that could be because my bracelets aren’t very loose around my wrist- I don’t like very loose fitting bracelets as I don’t like too much movements when wearing them therefore I have shortened both.
Sorry.. doesn’t look like I have given you any solid answer here but good luck in deciding! It is definitely a gorgeous piece to own^_^

Your stack sounds amazing!! :smile: would you say your bracelet still looka basically new? Also by “wearing very frequently” do you mean wearing it a couple times a week or constantly without taking it off?

I have the guilloche pendant and also the ten motif necklaces. I LOVE the guilloche design so I also purchased the bracelet and I had a very honest discussion with my SA about the wearability of the bracelet. If you plan to wear it daily you need to go into this purchase knowing it will not remain pristine. Think Cartier Love - how it eventually shows scratches. You need to be ok with some scratches and seeing them upon unclose inspection over time. She did tell me she has clients who specifically wear it stacked daily to do everything (shower, gym, etc). And, yes, after months of continuous wear it shows scratches but you see them upon looking close. To have a distanced conversation (normal chat) with someone it is not like all the other person sees is scratches; it will still be pretty but just know it won't look store bought in a years' time. If you are good with that, go for it. I thought I would be ok, and I don't mind a few scratches, but in the end I decided to return and will get the vintage (hammered) version to be care free. I, too, plan to wear the bracelet for everything (gym, shower, etc.) but wasn't confident enough to do it with the guilloche. I will say as a necklace it is fine (unless you multi layer over and over).

hi everyone!
i wanted this same bracelet earlier this year but my SA advised against it for the same reasons many have mentioned. it does scratch easily and it cannot be repaired or buffed out (no stacking with other bracelets obviously). if you plan on wearing this as a stand alone piece for special occasions, then go for it but otherwise i would go for the rose gold 5 motif.

IMO, if you love the guilloche, and want to wear it regularly, get it. As a bracelet if you don’t mind the scratches and otherwise as a necklace.

Re giveaways. Since this is your birthday present, of course feel free to mention the item will mark the occasion and that you are a fan of the collection. This usually comes up in the course of relationship building conversation anyway. They will certainly give you books, a birthday bottle of champagne, or other things if they haven’t run out. (Note: if they don’t have give aways on hand, don’t take it personally. My SA said sometimes they even sometimes run low on necklace boxes and have to scramble — it’s embarrassing for the SA and not always in their control).

me too! the first time i bought my bracelet, I felt like the SA was being a bit condescending to me. Maybe it was because i just bought a small thing ( sweet alhambra MOP). But my current SA knows that my previous experience wasn't very positive and also that it will be my birthday! Im just wanting some freebies to make the occasion more special haha

The first time I went to the store, the SA was basically very rushed and acted like she had other more important things to get to. I was buying the vintage MOP necklace, and I told her it was for my wedding, yet she didn't do anything to help make my experience more special, and didn't even show me anything else other than the necklace. It was my first time trying on VCA items so it made me very reluctant to go back. I submitted feedback through the corporate website and the boutique director called me the next business day to apologize and to invite me back. I was reassigned to a new SA who is the kindest person.

• Sad
Reactions: A bottle of Red
I have the guilloche pendant and also the ten motif necklaces. I LOVE the guilloche design so I also purchased the bracelet and I had a very honest discussion with my SA about the wearability of the bracelet. If you plan to wear it daily you need to go into this purchase knowing it will not remain pristine. Think Cartier Love - how it eventually shows scratches. You need to be ok with some scratches and seeing them upon unclose inspection over time. She did tell me she has clients who specifically wear it stacked daily to do everything (shower, gym, etc). And, yes, after months of continuous wear it shows scratches but you see them upon looking close. To have a distanced conversation (normal chat) with someone it is not like all the other person sees is scratches; it will still be pretty but just know it won't look store bought in a years' time. If you are good with that, go for it. I thought I would be ok, and I don't mind a few scratches, but in the end I decided to return and will get the vintage (hammered) version to be care free. I, too, plan to wear the bracelet for everything (gym, shower, etc.) but wasn't confident enough to do it with the guilloche. I will say as a necklace it is fine (unless you multi layer over and over).
The first time I went to the store, the SA was basically very rushed and acted like she had other more important things to get to. I was buying the vintage MOP necklace, and I told her it was for my wedding, yet she didn't do anything to help make my experience more special, and didn't even show me anything else other than the necklace. It was my first time trying on VCA items so it made me very reluctant to go back. I submitted feedback through the corporate website and the boutique director called me the next business day to apologize and to invite me back. I was reassigned to a new SA who is the kindest person.
i wanted this same bracelet earlier this year but my SA advised against it for the same reasons many have mentioned. it does scratch easily and it cannot be repaired or buffed out (no stacking with other bracelets obviously). if you plan on wearing this as a stand alone piece for special occasions, then go for it but otherwise i would go for the rose gold 5 motif.
IMO, if you love the guilloche, and want to wear it regularly, get it. As a bracelet if you don’t mind the scratches and otherwise as a necklace.

Re giveaways. Since this is your birthday present, of course feel free to mention the item will mark the occasion and that you are a fan of the collection. This usually comes up in the course of relationship building conversation anyway. They will certainly give you books, a birthday bottle of champagne, or other things if they haven’t run out. (Note: if they don’t have give aways on hand, don’t take it personally. My SA said sometimes they even sometimes run low on necklace boxes and have to scramble — it’s embarrassing for the SA and not always in their control).
Thank you for the replies! I’m still set on getting the guilloche so I’ll just not have it on 24/7. I have a love ring which I bought around 4 years ago which Ive worn everyday since purchase and I know what everyone means about the scratches!

That sounds so crap! I’m glad they fixed the situation for you though! For me it was my first ever luxury purchase and I wanted to take a look at lol the different sweet MOP bracelets and pick the one I wanted and the SA was like “well the MOP is really small so you won’t see any imperfections”. It was like he was trying to rush the sale and not care about the experience. He also didn’t wrap it with a ribbon, give me a travel pouch or mention that I only had 3 months to adjust my chain for free! I felt like he was also quite pretentious which just made me uncomfortable.

• Wow
Reactions: A bottle of Red
Your stack sounds amazing!! :smile: would you say your bracelet still looka basically new? Also by “wearing very frequently” do you mean wearing it a couple times a week or constantly without taking it off?
My bracelet does have few faint scratches which I don’t see them very clearly when wearing but my SA says that she can see the scratches when she look at it up close.
I don’t ever wear any jewellery 24/7 but I would say that I did wear it almost everyday for the first 4-5 months or so. It still looks amazingly shiny though. Hope that helps

Reactions: hhw
I beg to differ for those that think the love bracelet would be analogous to the guilloche in terms of scratching. The Love is a flat-smooth surface, whereas the guilloche has got a ton of variations and no smooth surface, so even if it gets more scratches than the vintage hammered, the variations/lines don’t let it be as visible as it would be on a love.

Second, if you love it, get it, don’t settle for the hammered, bc they are very different. One is almost matte and subdued, and the other is shiny and bright. Different looks, and all a matter of personal preference. Both are beautiful, but I think so different that one would tend to gravitate toward one or the other. Get it, enjoy it, and don’t worry about it :smile:

My bracelet does have few faint scratches which I don’t see them very clearly when wearing but my SA says that she can see the scratches when she look at it up close.
I don’t ever wear any jewellery 24/7 but I would say that I did wear it almost everyday for the first 4-5 months or so. It still looks amazingly shiny though. Hope that helps
Sorry to be a pain but could you please post some pictures of the faint scratches? I am curious to see how scratched up the guilloche can get (and no one has posted any so far).

This may make me change my mind about getting the bracelet in the future :lol: