Adventures of an Unrepentant Bargain Whore: The $50 Experiment!

Feb 26, 2006
Since, I have lost a lot of weight, I have had to donate tons of clothes to Goodwill. Once I was done weeding out all the stuff that was too big (shoes included!), I was left with three pairs of pants, a couple of tees, and one pair of shoes! I was in need of clothes ASAP!

The thing is, I am a world class cheapskate when it comes to clothing. I may love my designer bags and jewelry, but it pains me to pay more than $20 for any one piece of clothing, because clothes don't last the way designer bags and jewelry do. So I decided to do a little experment if you will. Armed with only a fifty dollar bill in my LV wallet, I headed to the mall. I was going to see how much fifty dollars can buy. Here's the rundown of what I got:

1 pair of skinny stretch trousers from Gap, regular price $58, for only $6.97
1 cotton 3/4 sleeve henley shirt from Gap, regular price $22.50, for only $4.97
1 pair of faux python ballerina flats from Gap, regular price $49.50, for only $6.97
1 patent leather skinny belt from Gap, regular price $24.50, for only $2.97
1 pair of convertible rollup khakis from Macy's, regular price $24.99, for only $19.99
2 cotton striped Mossimo polos from Target, regular price $9.99 each, for only $2.48 each

So, in the end I got $199.47 worth of clothes for only $46.84 plus tax! :yahoo:

I found a pair of 32 waist Seven For All Mankind jeans on the clearance rack at Macy's for only $41.99. I didn't buy them, because (1) I didn't have enough money, and (2) they were freaking long! I swear, you'd have to be a 5'11 supermodel to wear those things! :wtf:

If you have any awesome bargain stories to share, by all means, post them!

ooh nice. ita, i'm all about a good bargain so i'd love to hear about more deals! ross/marshalls/target is my haven for clothes shopping! leaves me more $ to spend on bags :biggrin:

You got yourself some f*ing awesome deals!! I'm looking forward to doing the same thing next weekend when I'm going shopping to the States. Will let you know how it went!

Oh and congrats on all your finds! Sounds lovely!

she really did. i've nothing bad to say about the quality of clothes from gap, macy's or target. they're all decent. i'm actually impressed at some of the quality clothes from target. i got this lovely poplin shirtdress on clearance for $10 (retail $30) and it fits perfectly. guess it was my lucky day :smile:

anyway, if you start buying stuff from like forever 21 or even H&M, the quality is just not there. i think when you shop at those places, you're basically throwing your $ away...it seems like clothes from there are only good for a couple wearings until they start to fall apart...

That's awesome! Sounds like Racheal Ray's $40 a Day show! lol!

The only real deals I have seen was getting an $80 dress for only $40 the other day but THEN the cashier gave me a $15 off coupon. So I got an $80 dress for only $25!

anyway, if you start buying stuff from like forever 21 or even H&M, the quality is just not there. i think when you shop at those places, you're basically throwing your $ away...it seems like clothes from there are only good for a couple wearings until they start to fall apart...
I don't even have an H&M in my area. As for Forever 21, I don't think their clothing would look right on me. From the looks of their window displays, their clothes are obviously meant for much younger girls.

Shopping at places like Gap holds a certain amount of novelty for me, because I was never able to shop at those places before. I mentioned this another thread, but I go in there and try on all the skinny jeans just because I can!

The great thing is that all the stuff I got mixes and matches. I also have a few things in my closet that would also work with them. I can create a bunch of different looks with only these few pieces. I spent some time after I got home creating different outfits and basically putting on a mini fashion show in my bedroom. DBF thinks I've lost my mind. :P

that is exactly how i am too! i buy items that can be worn in different ways, with different things. i stock up on a lot of basics and solids and tend to ignore things that are too trendy. if anything, my bags are the ones that i make the focal point :P mixing and matching is key, especially when it comes to packing for trips, which i do often :smile:

also, another place i've noticed that tends to have decent sales is NY&CO. i've gotten great deals on shirts/polos for like $3.99. that store is more of my style :smile:

also, another place i've noticed that tends to have decent sales is NY&CO. i've gotten great deals on shirts/polos for like $3.99. that store is more of my style :smile:
I think I'll check NY&Co next time I'm in the mall. I've probably walked past that store a million times, but I never actually went in. Thanks for the tip!

I love hearing about things like this!!! It is all about the thrill of the hunt for me! My most recent and best buy has been a pair of Ralph Lauren navy silk wide leg pants with the price tag still on for $1295.00, that I bought for $28.00 at my favorite consignment shop!!! Still not sure what I will wear them with...but I will wear them!!!!

Here are pics of my loot. My camera is sort of old, so I apologize for the crappy quality. For the picture of the convertible rollup pants, I rolled up one leg and left the other as is to demonstrate how they can be worn two ways: as trousers or as capris. Ingenious! :tup:

Attachments

• convertiblepants.jpg
    convertiblepants.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 60
  • flatsandbelt.jpg
    flatsandbelt.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 64
  • polos.jpg
    polos.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 72
  • skinnypantsandtee.jpg
    skinnypantsandtee.jpg