don't like Covid story lines

I feel exactly the same way. We don't need to be reminded about something we've been immersed in 24/7 for months. TV entertainment is supposed to be a form of escapism from the daily grind, not further wallowing reminders of misery. We have the nightly news for that :shocked:. For the same reason, on those rare occasions when I have a cold I refuse to leave the cough syrup/sore throat drops/Nytol etc on the counter as a visual reminder that I feel like crap. TV entertainment shows that feature Covid are a turn off. Literally!

I feel exactly the same way. We don't need to be reminded about something we've been immersed in 24/7 for months. TV entertainment is supposed to be a form of escapism from the daily grind, not further wallowing reminders of misery. We have the nightly news for that :shocked:. For the same reason, on those rare occasions when I have a cold I refuse to leave the cough syrup/sore throat drops/Nytol etc on the counter as a visual reminder that I feel like crap. TV entertainment shows that feature Covid are a turn off. Literally!
thank you
this is one reason (in addition to the quality) that I'm enjoying old HBO shows over current network crap. The most recent episodes of Bull (which DH and I used to enjoy watching together) have been annoying, partly due to the covid stuff but I think also the quality of acting and production isn't anything comparable to what I've been seeing on HBO

I guess the powers that be in TV have decided that if they produce anything new it has to include stories involving the virus, characters wearing masks, etc. I get enough of that from the news. When I want entertainment I don't need to be reminded of Covid. Anyone else feel this way?

+1
You expressed this sentiment in a most perfect and succinct way. :tup: :yes:

Yes! I watched one episode of Law & Order SVU. The whole show was ridiculous. They were so haphazard about when they would wear the masks - taking them off when they shouldn't, etc., that it made me laugh. It was distracting to the storyline, too. I am now watching reruns of the original Law & Order series, lol. I do not watch that much new network TV anyway. Older shows are so much better :smile:

Yes! I watched one episode of Law & Order SVU. The whole show was ridiculous. They were so haphazard about when they would wear the masks - taking them off when they shouldn't, etc., that it made me laugh. It was distracting to the storyline, too. I am now watching reruns of the original Law & Order series, lol. I do not watch that much new network TV anyway. Older shows are so much better :smile:
right
apparently there was some global decision that they should be relevant but in addition to this story being annoying, what will it look like in reruns? even worse

they are all doing it - the Chicago Fire, Chicago PD, etc.
Grey's Anatomy....I don't watch that anymore but I was channel surfing and the character who is like Shonda was comforting her dying mother....

Reactions: RT1 and cbarrus
article from Rolling Stone. Apparently the industry (and this writer) think they can't ignore covid (or other topical subjects that are big - like murder of george floyd).
maybe better to watch old shows......I can watch 60 minutes and cry if I want to see people being treated unjustly

To be honest, I totally get it why they do it, simply because far too many people act like it doesn't exist and are shedding all over the place, you know when they stopped characters smoking in movies, people also complained, if you look at old Hollywood movies, I can't remember a single Bogart one where he didn't smoke, now the characters only smoke if it fits in with the general outline (Constantine and the lung cancer) and such

Some shows..like The Good Doctor, did a few episodes of pandemic storyline..then completely moved on. Others like Grey's Anatomy seem to dedicate the whole season to it

Some shows..like The Good Doctor, did a few episodes of pandemic storyline..then completely moved on. Others like Grey's Anatomy seem to dedicate the whole season to it
the only medical show I watch (and not faithfully) is Chicago Med.....I understand what they are doing I guess but really between covid and all the other terrible stuff going on, I don't need to see it all in a story. I can get plenty in the news (and other news sources).....really DH gets on his phone each morning and gives me a horror story

Last edited:
Reactions: TC1
I guess the powers that be in TV have decided that if they produce anything new it has to include stories involving the virus, characters wearing masks, etc. I get enough of that from the news. When I want entertainment I don't need to be reminded of Covid. Anyone else feel this way?
I agree, don’t need to see this in shows where I just want to relax and watch. When NCIS New Orleans came back, and it looked like they were covid related, I didn’t watch for a while, but now that I have caught up I’m getting used to it.
These episodes will look pretty silly in reruns I bet. The shows I have seen are all over the place in when they wear masks and when they don’t. maybe depends on when in the pandemic they were filmed and what the actors required to feel safe.
That first Bull was so awkward. One scene had Bull and his wife laying on their sides in bed both facing the camera and having a conversation. So strange. But then they did turn in face each other at the end of the scene.

Reactions: sdkitty
I agree, don’t need to see this in shows where I just want to relax and watch. When NCIS New Orleans came back, and it looked like they were covid related, I didn’t watch for a while, but now that I have caught up I’m getting used to it.
These episodes will look pretty silly in reruns I bet. The shows I have seen are all over the place in when they wear masks and when they don’t. maybe depends on when in the pandemic they were filmed and what the actors required to feel safe.
That first Bull was so awkward. One scene had Bull and his wife laying on their sides in bed both facing the camera and having a conversation. So strange. But then they did turn in face each other at the end of the scene.
I'm afraid Bull may have jumped the shark
I used to like the storylines...never have liked that blonde woman who is the assistant - ears in the courtroom whatever

I'm afraid Bull may have jumped the shark
I used to like the storylines...never have liked that blonde woman who is the assistant - ears in the courtroom whatever
I like his assistant, but I agree this show may have run its course. The marriage and baby isn’t much of a story and how many times can they win an unwinnable case and we are supposed to be surprised.

Reactions: sdkitty
I like his assistant, but I agree this show may have run its course. The marriage and baby isn’t much of a story and how many times can they win an unwinnable case and we are supposed to be surprised.
watched bull last night (mainly because if is a show DH and I can watch together). Still lame IMO. They were in the limo together unmasked, sitting two feet apart. then they got out and were wearing masks outdoors on the courthouse steps.

Reactions: RueMonge