My Bag Smells Delicious

apursenewbie

Oct 14, 2020
I'm not sure how else to describe it :lol:

I bought a used purse from someone on Poshmark and its interior smells yummy. I can't place what it is...perhaps some type of perfume or lotion. As silly as this sounds, sometimes I'll reach for this purse for the smell alone. Opening it and catching a whiff is a nice refresher.

I Googled and did a forum search but most results are how to get smells *out* of bags. I did find this article, however, which suggests tucking a fabric softener sheet or handkerchief sprayed with perfume at the bottom of your bag.

Do you guys use anything to keep the inside of your bags smelling good? What's your technique and what scent is your fave?

Reactions: lulu212121

I bought a used purse from someone on Poshmark and its interior smells yummy. I can't place what it is...perhaps some type of perfume or lotion. As silly as this sounds, sometimes I'll reach for this purse for the smell alone. Opening it and catching a whiff is a nice refresher.

I Googled and did a forum search but most results are how to get smells *out* of bags. I did find this article, however, which suggests tucking a fabric softener sheet or handkerchief sprayed with perfume at the bottom of your bag.

Do you guys use anything to keep the inside of your bags smelling good? What's your technique and what scent is your fave?

As somebody who reacts to strong smells with a total asthma attack, I honestly prefer items that don't smell strongly, no matter how great it might smell to somebody else, I don't want to grasp for breath and reach for the inhaler

I totally get it. I imagine most people will feel this way.

I had it recently with a purchase where the seller thought I would like a rather strong perfume, I tend to buy new to avoid the issue despite being a massive fan of circular fashion, passing out from an asthma attack is seriously unpleasant, I would be much more inclined to buy preloved if that wouldn't be a steady worry, if you don't have the issue, it doesn't possibly register, if you do, it is honestly one of the scariest things you can encounter, the gasping for breath, the not getting enough oxygen, the coughing fit

I sometimes put in perfume scent samples, though they don't tend to last very long.

Reactions: apursenewbie

I get it! I have had that happen too! Unfortunately the scent faded:frown:

Reactions: apursenewbie

Did you ever ask the seller what scent it was?

I can't not respond to this anymore. LOL. My worst nightmare is to get a pre-loved bag with any odor other than the leather from which it was made. I always ask the seller prior to purchase if there are any odors.

If you ever plan to re-home any of your bags, please don't put scent of any kind in them. Please.

One of the OTHER scent-related pet peeves I have is: Places that wash my car that think I want the inside to smell like a garden. Uh, no. And I'm in trouble with furniture, too - just bought a previously owned dining table and upholstered chairs - and damned if the seller didn't spray those chairs with 'freshener'. UH!!! It's taken WEEKS but I think it's gone now. :cray:

ETA: Scent samples out of magazines? Holy cow, we don't want to sniff there either. Luckily I don't subscribe to magazines that do that anymore. :cray: Needless to say, I am glad the man I married doesn't wear scent, hates it as much as I do. :lol:

Last edited:
Reactions: Gabs007
I can't not respond to this anymore. LOL. My worst nightmare is to get a pre-loved bag with any odor other than the leather from which it was made. I always ask the seller prior to purchase if there are any odors.

If you ever plan to re-home any of your bags, please don't put scent of any kind in them. Please.

One of the OTHER scent-related pet peeves I have is: Places that wash my car that think I want the inside to smell like a garden. Uh, no. And I'm in trouble with furniture, too - just bought a previously owned dining table and upholstered chairs - and damned if the seller didn't spray those chairs with 'freshener'. UH!!! It's taken WEEKS but I think it's gone now. :cray:

Ugh, we had the car serviced and they put one of those smelly dangly things in, stank up the whole car with that ultra chemical smell, not pleasant to drive home with the windows open, had to call hubby to pick up the car while I walked home, days of airing until I could get into it. I am with you, leather should smell of leather, that's it....

Reactions: indiaink
I sometimes put in perfume scent samples, though they don't tend to last very long.
I have no idea where I would find one. I haven't touched a magazine in years :lol:
Did you ever ask the seller what scent it was?
Of course...why didn't I think of this. Will message her today. Thank ya kindly :tup:
I am new to the purse world and can't fathom rehoming any of my lovelies any time soon but yes, I'll definitely air them out beforehand if I ever decide to do so.

@Gabs007 That reaction sounds scary and I'm sorry you had to deal with that. I'm fortunate to not have any allergies or sensitivities.

I have no idea where I would find one. I haven't touched a magazine in years :lol:

Of course...why didn't I think of this. Will message her today. Thank ya kindly :tup:

I am new to the purse world and can't fathom rehoming any of my lovelies any time soon but yes, I'll definitely air them out beforehand if I ever decide to do so.

@Gabs007 That reaction sounds scary and I'm sorry you had to deal with that. I'm fortunate to not have any allergies or sensitivities.

I had mild asthma, after catching Covid last February, it's totally off the scale and any strong scent will trigger it, before that I had to be near a parrot, hazelnut pollen and a few other things I could avoid (like somebody smoking something herbal etc)

• Wow

Can't you contact the seller on Poshmark? If so, please do and post an update! I am so curious!