Why are pre loved Chanel mini rectangular in caviar so expensive?

To buy or not to buy this Chanel mini rectangular?

• Yes, worth to buy

Votes: 58 29.3%
  • No, not worth it

Votes: 140 70.7%

• Total voters

albarosa

Jan 12, 2014
Dear fellow Chanel lovers :smile:!my sister is keen to get a Chanel mini rectangular bag in caviar but she could only find it in those pre-loved stores, and they are selling at a whopping 5500 USD for one!

May i know is it worth this splurge on a preloved Chanel mini rectangular bag in caviar? My SA told me they stopped producing it in caviar and probably won't produce them in any near future and that explains the huge price tag sold by resellers.

Would you ladies purchase it or wait till a few years later for Chanel to produce in cavair :smile:?

unnamed.jpg

I am one of those folks who have paid over $5000 USD each for two mini rectangulars in caviar. I buy them in lieu of small CFs, for two main reasons. The first one is that it can be comfortably worn as a cross-body bag. The second reason is that I am a huge fan of RHW and it is more common for minis to have them as compared to CFs.

EDIT: Just to add, I suppose whether it is worth it depends on how much you prefer it over the small CF and/or other bags, and how badly you want it now.

Last edited:
Don't do it, that's just straight up price gouging. If you've got $5,500 to spend on a mini, just get the small. They are always making the black & gold version. Like the previous poster said, it's only a littttle bigger and you can wear it multiple ways because of the grommets

There is a style in the 21s collection that is similar to the mini rectangle, caviar leather, and with a top handle. Take a look at the 21s thread. It's somewhere in the ~$4000 something range (I think maybe $4300?)

I was lucky to be able to buy a square mini in caviar before they discontinued the caviar minis. If I didn't get that, then I would absolutely skip the caviar minis that are selling at the current resale prices. Even earlier this year, you could still get a caviar mini for around $3500-4000 USD, but in the last 6-8 months, the price has exploded. It's absolutely not worth it at the current resale price. Yes you can wear it cross-body but there are also other Chanel bags you can buy retail and you can wear it cross-body. One of the reasons why the caviar minis were so popular was because they were good "value" since they looked like a classic flap but thousands cheaper. It's not thousands cheaper anymore, so just buy the small CF.

I wasn't able to get my hands on a caviar rectangular mini so I bought a reissue mini in calfskin instead, which I absolutely love. I have two CFs already so it was nice to add a reissue to my collection too.

Not worth it at all. 2 years ago, at the same time I bought mine for $2500 (lambskin) and missed specific color in caviar and went through reseller route for $3600. I already regretted it. It’s not worth another $1100 markup just because it’s caviar. Having them for 2 years now, I don’t understand why mini caviar is so overrated. It is more carefree but that’s about it. My lambskin one is more special. I paid so much because of the colour though, not because it’s caviar.

Dont do it, just get a brand new lambskin mini or a small caviar flap.
Caviar is super durable compared to lambskin yes, but lambskin isn‘t that delicate, especially when used in smaller bags. And it looks nicer.

I completely agree! I ended up buying a small cf in caviar under the same logic, and I am thinking of getting the mini in lamb next year. I think smaller bag is easier to care for since it's less likely to bump into something. Also when it's worn crossbody it should be even safer. It's not worth to pay the premium in the pre-loved market!

I have two caviar minis 17b’s red and beige. I’ll never part with them. They’re colors that are hard to come by. Black is always on the market if your patient you can find one that’s not $5000

Reactions: albarosa