Chanel Large 19 vs. Jumbo Classic Flap?

Fashion412

Jul 2, 2017
I'm sure this question gets asked a LOT - but I'm debating between these two styles in black leather and would love your thoughts! The 19 is catching my eye as being so on trend, functional, beautiful, etc. and I love the top handle chain feature. My hesitation with buying this vs. the jumbo is - I do want the jumbo style in my collection eventually, it's only going up in price (rumor is it will again this spring). Also, I worry the 19 is trendy and 2 years from now I'll have the itch to sell it. I also worry that the leather is delicate - but my eyeballs lean towards this bag regardless. I've tried both on in the store and love how both look on me (I'm 5'6", size 8/29, athletic build).

Right now my bag collection includes the black leather medium business affinity (same capacity/general size as a M/L classic flap), a black leather YSL Sac de jour (which I may let go if I get one of the two aforementioned bags), two bottega pouches in tan and black, and the Louis Vuitton reverse monogram pochette metis. In spring/summer I plan to nab a beige claire flap or something similar (coco handle, etc.).

Thank you!

Reactions: Namwan-
I had the same dilemma until I went into the store and talked to this one SA. I told him it would be my first Chanel and he talked me more into the classic flap jumbo. i always wanted the size below the jumbo but after trying it on I realized all my bags which are crossbody are pretty much that size. I went home and thought about it and the next day went back and bought the jumbo in black with gold hardware in caviar. I still want the 19 but the smaller size but he was right about it being more a seasonal bag at least for me and that a caviar is more everyday use. I’ll still eventually buy the 19 but just not right now especially since I didn’t want it in black anyways and that’s all they had at the moment and I know when I’m older I’ll still use the classic but idk if I would use the 19.

Reactions: Fashion412
Hi love! I just bought the 19 in the large and have the jumbo. Honestly, I don't wear the jumbo maybe less than 10 times in 5 years!!! I'm so ashamed, also due to the crazy price increases I feel like I can't let it go! As for the 19 - definitely a trendy piece, reminds me of the Boy when it came out. People still love the boy but not as much. I say follow your heart and its totally ok to fall out of love with a bag. Its part if the journey if learning ur own tastes and style. Have fun!!! ❤❤

Hi love! I just bought the 19 in the large and have the jumbo. Honestly, I don't wear the jumbo maybe less than 10 times in 5 years!!! I'm so ashamed, also due to the crazy price increases I feel like I can't let it go! As for the 19 - definitely a trendy piece, reminds me of the Boy when it came out. People still love the boy but not as much. I say follow your heart and its totally ok to fall out of love with a bag. Its part if the journey if learning ur own tastes and style. Have fun!!! ❤❤
Wow your jumbo must be in pristine condition. Can you share why you don’t use the jumbo as much as you would like to?

Reactions: Fashion412
I have a few jumbos and two 19s and I have obviously had the 19s for less time than any of the jumbos, but have worn one of the 19s more than all the jumbos combined. I see myself using the jumbos more when I get older, but for now I prefer the 19 a lot more. I get why you'd want to get a bag that you can also wear when you are older, but you aren't older now so I think you should get the bag you love now.

Wow your jumbo must be in pristine condition. Can you share why you don’t use the jumbo as much as you would like to?
It doesn't really fit my style and they're alittle bulky and big. I thought it would grow to love it but not really lol. I wonder if I should sell it and get a medium large in the same combo. The jumbo's cost is NOW outrageous, and if I ever changed my mind I would be SOL.

I'm sure this question gets asked a LOT - but I'm debating between these two styles in black leather and would love your thoughts! The 19 is catching my eye as being so on trend, functional, beautiful, etc. and I love the top handle chain feature. My hesitation with buying this vs. the jumbo is - I do want the jumbo style in my collection eventually, it's only going up in price (rumor is it will again this spring). Also, I worry the 19 is trendy and 2 years from now I'll have the itch to sell it. I also worry that the leather is delicate - but my eyeballs lean towards this bag regardless. I've tried both on in the store and love how both look on me (I'm 5'6", size 8/29, athletic build).

Right now my bag collection includes the black leather medium business affinity (same capacity/general size as a M/L classic flap), a black leather YSL Sac de jour (which I may let go if I get one of the two aforementioned bags), two bottega pouches in tan and black, and the Louis Vuitton reverse monogram pochette metis. In spring/summer I plan to nab a beige claire flap or something similar (coco handle, etc.).

Thank you!
I have bought and sold two jumbos over the years and I’m never buying one again! They are just too big and bulky. I am very slim and not very tall so it just didn’t work for me. I’m really happy with the M/L size. I also recently bought the 19 and I’m really happy with it. However, i don’t feel it’s a forever bag like the classic flap.

I love the 19, and don't find it delicate at all! I don't have a Jumbo as I prefer the 227 Reissue for a flap in that larger size. It's lighter weight and not boxy. The Jumbo is gorgeous on others, so it's just personal preference. No matter how "classic" you find a style to be, if you aren't going to wear it, it's not useful for you. I plan to rock my 19 for as long as I can!

I had the same dilemma until I went into the store and talked to this one SA. I told him it would be my first Chanel and he talked me more into the classic flap jumbo. i always wanted the size below the jumbo but after trying it on I realized all my bags which are crossbody are pretty much that size. I went home and thought about it and the next day went back and bought the jumbo in black with gold hardware in caviar. I still want the 19 but the smaller size but he was right about it being more a seasonal bag at least for me and that a caviar is more everyday use. I’ll still eventually buy the 19 but just not right now especially since I didn’t want it in black anyways and that’s all they had at the moment and I know when I’m older I’ll still use the classic but idk if I would use the 19.
Thank you for this! I think I may do the same - get the smaller 19 in a white or beige down the road.

I have a few jumbos and two 19s and I have obviously had the 19s for less time than any of the jumbos, but have worn one of the 19s more than all the jumbos combined. I see myself using the jumbos more when I get older, but for now I prefer the 19 a lot more. I get why you'd want to get a bag that you can also wear when you are older, but you aren't older now so I think you should get the bag you love now.
Thank you for this!! I appreciate the insight.

I love the 19, and don't find it delicate at all! I don't have a Jumbo as I prefer the 227 Reissue for a flap in that larger size. It's lighter weight and not boxy. The Jumbo is gorgeous on others, so it's just personal preference. No matter how "classic" you find a style to be, if you aren't going to wear it, it's not useful for you. I plan to rock my 19 for as long as I can!
Thank you for this! I feel like I need to try both on again and then decide. So many beautiful choices too bad they’re all so expensive

Reactions: OCMomof3
I have bought and sold two jumbos over the years and I’m never buying one again! They are just too big and bulky. I am very slim and not very tall so it just didn’t work for me. I’m really happy with the M/L size. I also recently bought the 19 and I’m really happy with it. However, i don’t feel it’s a forever bag like the classic flap.
I hear you on this! I think the preference in sizing of the flap bags depends on your height/build. The M/L always felt small on me and I'm not a giant of any sort, but I'm 5'6" and a medium build, so that's why I lean towards jumbo - plus I plan to use it every day.

Reactions: sydsunshine