Thanksgiving plans this year? And any fun ideas to include those who won't be at the table?

Megs

I love bags
Admin
O.G.
Sep 13, 2005
I know we have our thread on people still being on lockdown, but with one of the biggest family gathering Holidays in just a few short days, I was interested in what all of you are doing this year for Thanksgiving? Any of you traveling?

We are keeping it just us - me, Vlad, and the two kids. My parents live 15 minutes away, but we've only been seeing them outside with masks on for short visits, especially as the case numbers by us in South Florida have been increasingly growing. I think it's so hard to make the decision on what to do, but this is what feels safest for us!

Speaking of which, anyone coming up with a good idea on how to integrate other family members who can't be with us - I know Zoom but seeing if I can think of something outside of the box!

Stay safe everyone!! :heart:

I’m from NJ and plan to keep it small too. It is just myself, hubby, and our 3 kids (ages 8, 5, and 3). My kids asked me to cook a big Thanksgiving meal and plan on doing just that. I’m making turkey, cranberry sauce, stuffing, etc. I will have my kids call their grandparents and aunt during the day as well. I told them that as soon as there is a vaccine we will have a Thanksgiving redo. Even if that means making a turkey in August. :P

I know we have our thread on people still being on lockdown, but with one of the biggest family gathering Holidays in just a few short days, I was interested in what all of you are doing this year for Thanksgiving? Any of you traveling?

We are keeping it just us - me, Vlad, and the two kids. My parents live 15 minutes away, but we've only been seeing them outside with masks on for short visits, especially as the case numbers by us in South Florida have been increasingly growing. I think it's so hard to make the decision on what to do, but this is what feels safest for us!

Speaking of which, anyone coming up with a good idea on how to integrate other family members who can't be with us - I know Zoom but seeing if I can think of something outside of the box!

Stay safe everyone!! :heart:
I hope you had a great Thanksgiving! :hugs:

• Love
Reactions: Megs, 880 and RT1
I already posted in the Thread entitled small things that make you happy, but DH and I had a mini thanksgiving with our tiny social bubble (all covid negative plus we all go above and beyond with safety protocols when we are all outside our homes). Even with an elaborate spread, cooking for so few means a lot less work than cooking for a horde of people. And a lot of leftovers for multiple care packages (which is my favorite part) for family and friends who are self isolating In their own homes. (I feel that care packages should be large enough for multiple meals or snacks through the weekend on included homemade rolls, pao di quejo, and sourdough starter biscuits)
Due to differing tastes, I did a small spiral ham, a small rolled boneless turkey breast, and two large boneless duck magret breasts. What was new for me was doing a Mac and cheese gratin as a side (I used parmesan reggiano and manchego and added a bit of chipotle en adobo for heat). I only did one pie and one homemade ice cream (that’s super minimal for me). I separated out most of the food for refrigerated care packages before the start of the meal so it’s freshest. Food is my way of including our loved ones!

p.s. slow roasting as per Thomas Keller works well on most meat and poultry. If you don’t like ultra sweet glaze on ham, try homemade dry rub and King Arthur reduce apple cider syrup instead of honey or sugar. My favorite easy ice cream recipe, burnt caramel, is from The Atlantic Magazine, Corby Krummers, IceCream for Beginners. And IMO the best pie crust has both vodka and cream cheese for easy rolling. And King Arthur Amish dinner roll recipe (use potato flakes) is a lot easier than Cooks illustrated Parker house roll recipe. And, the easiest pies with the most wow factor (after your favorite double crust American pie) is either the lots of nuts tart or the almond cranberry tart from the City Bakery cookbook.
11C35D74-8CB2-47B5-83F4-3C8B86B03003.jpeg49C20BE1-0E48-4336-BCCD-5D12EDD97375.jpeg

Last edited:
We did our best to make our tiny household gathering still feel special. My DS set a beautiful table with his Great grandmother's china and the nice crystal. I cooked a traditional meal filled with my mom's favorite recipes and some amazing new desserts. We went around the table sharing our funniest memories of time spent with one another, and thoughts about the things we were most thankful for. Though it was a tiny celebration, it was warm and memorable.

i went with the bf to his parents house. his brother and SIL were also there. we each had our own corner of the back porch and his mom is so sweet- she had dinner catered and each couple had their own mini buffet of turkey and all the trimmings.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: RT1, 880 and Megs
Love hearing what all of you did! We made our meal at home for me, Vlad and our kiddos and then we had dessert in the backyard at my mom's house. My kids were thrilled to see my parents and we have really kept a distance from them (only meeting outside with masks on). My dad feels comfortable seeing us but my mom is more cautious and I totally understand that!

Happy Thanksgiving all!

• Love
Reactions: RT1 and 880