Keep or return this bag from fashionphile? 50th anniversary reissue

Saaski

Feb 25, 2020
Hello all! I just unboxed a beautiful small reissue I bought from fashionphile. I was really excited about this bag, because it's a 2005 bag-- the 50th anniversary year. It's a 255, black with gold hardware and exactly what I've been wanting. Even came with the box and dust bag.

20201121_104155.jpg

The only thing is that there's a loose stitch--more like a ripped thread. It's right on the side of the bag in the upper corner of the front pocket.

20201121_102511.jpg
20201121_102446_HDR.jpg

Not only was this not disclosed by fashionphile in the listing or in any of the pictures (I went back and double checked) but because of the way the thread is loose, I'm worried about the problem getting worse. There's also a part in the bottom of the back pocket where white is showing though.

20201121_104724.jpg

(I'm not sure what it is, but it doesn't appear to be fuzz I can brush off, so I'm wondering if it isn't a little spot of ripped leather, though this matters less to me over the obvious thread.)

I really like this bag otherwise, and I'm not sure if I'll get another chance at it, especially as prices continue to go up, not to mention it's a limited edition item. A 50th anniversary 226 bwgh just popped up on fashionphile, but it's listed at $6795.

What would you do? Keep or return? I feel like contacting fashionphile about the non-disclosed damage would only get me a suggestion to return it.

Another option is to try to get it fixed. Going to Chanel would be my first choice, but I don't know if Chanel would be willing to repair a bag I bought pre-loved? And I've never tried taking bags to third parties for repair.

Any input would be appreciated!

20201121_102508.jpg

20201121_104146.jpg

I’m pretty sure leather surgeons would repair it or even a local cobbler. I wouldn’t just go to anyone though...I would research and get a good rec for someone. Not sure if chanel would repair that even for a fee..You could just call a boutique and ask them their policy on that. I was under the impression that they only did repairs for items purchased within the last 5 years. I could be wrong.

I’m pretty sure leather surgeons would repair it or even a local cobbler. I wouldn’t just go to anyone though...I would research and get a good rec for someone. Not sure if chanel would repair that even for a fee..You could just call a boutique and ask them their policy on that. I was under the impression that they only did repairs for items purchased within the last 5 years. I could be wrong.

If the thread is the only thing bother you, then Keep it. It’s a hard to find bag and the loose stitch is super easy to fix. Leather surgeon can easily fix it.

Thank you both for your input. I didn't even think of leather surgeons. I sent them an email asking for a quote, so I guess I'll see what they say.

Do you have experience with leather surgeons? Will they really just fix a loose stitch?

Reactions: keodi
Hi Saaski! Check out the thread link below. You can see pictures of my reissue which had a severe popped stitch that was repaired by Leather Surgeons. My bag had several small popped stitches, like your bag. Mr. Gallagher did a wonderful job and I can't tell where the issues were. I am very pleased with the results. I recently purchased a 50th anniversary 226 from Fashionphile with the same issues. That bag is with Leather Surgeons now.

• Love
Reactions: jade, keodi and 880
Hi Saaski! Check out the thread link below. You can see pictures of my reissue which had a severe popped stitch that was repaired by Leather Surgeons. My bag had several small popped stitches, like your bag. Mr. Gallagher did a wonderful job and I can't tell where the issues were. I am very pleased with the results. I recently purchased a 50th anniversary 226 from Fashionphile with the same issues. That bag is with Leather Surgeons now.

Thank you so much! I've sent leather surgeons a request for a quote.

Reactions: PurpleRabbit
I’d reach out to Fashionphile as this should’ve been disclosed and see if they’ll give you a discount. If the stitch is the only issue and it was a good price, I think it’s a keeper and you can get it fixed as others have suggested.
Thank you so much for your input! I was uncertain about reaching out to fashionphile, but in the end it's true that the worst they can do is say no.

FYI, I personally have had issues with Fashionphile not disclosing items or have wrongly written descriptions with several Chanel bags i have purchased since the pandemic started (talking about 6 bags). One had a bad smell (not disclosed), one was listed being made in 2012 (incorrect, date code indicated 2002), etc. I did reach out to them asking for a discount on one of the bags and they refused, just told me to return....given the high demand with Chanel. I say this to share my experience (hopefully they will offer you a discount). As others have said, I would keep it too and use Leather Surgens. Pre-loved Chanel has gone up around $500-$600 (for classic styles) just over the past 6 months.

so far I have great experience with leather surgeon.

Thank you! I'm looking forward to hearing back from them.

FYI, I personally have had issues with Fashionphile not disclosing items or have wrongly written descriptions with several Chanel bags i have purchased since the pandemic started (talking about 6 bags). One had a bad smell (not disclosed), one was listed being made in 2012 (incorrect, date code indicated 2002), etc. I did reach out to them asking for a discount on one of the bags and they refused, just told me to return....given the high demand with Chanel. I say this to share my experience (hopefully they will offer you a discount). As others have said, I would keep it too and use Leather Surgens. Pre-loved Chanel has gone up around $500-$600 (for classic styles) just over the past 6 months.

That's such a shame about your experiences with fashionphile, especially with how popular they are. I'm not really optimistic about getting a discount, but I did write to ask.

Overall yes, I do love the bag and if this detail is easily fixable, I definitely would prefer to keep it over returning it and potentially missing my chance at it.

Reactions: OogleAtLuxury
Heard back from fashionphile. I have to say, I'm disappointed in how they responded. I was basically told that if I wanted them to consider that the bag was misrepresented, I could return it, they'd assess it in house, and then put it back up for sale where I could potentially rebuy it if I was happy with how they priced it. (In the event that didn't price it for MORE of course.)

No thanks :annoyed:

I do really like the bag and, as you all suggested, plan to just keep it and get it repaired. But it definitely left a bad taste in my mouth in regards to fashionphile.

Heard back from fashionphile. I have to say, I'm disappointed in how they responded. I was basically told that if I wanted them to consider that the bag was misrepresented, I could return it, they'd assess it in house, and then put it back up for sale where I could potentially rebuy it if I was happy with how they priced it. (In the event that didn't price it for MORE of course.)

No thanks :annoyed:

I do really like the bag and, as you all suggested, plan to just keep it and get it repaired. But it definitely left a bad taste in my mouth in regards to fashionphile.

So disappointing they would not accommodate you in some way. Once repaired you will fall in love with the bag all over. Please post after-pictures when the repairs are completed so we can celebrate :biggrin:

So disappointing they would not accommodate you in some way. Once repaired you will fall in love with the bag all over. Please post after-pictures when the repairs are completed so we can celebrate :biggrin:
I'm unhappy with fashionphile, but definitely happy with the bag even with the stitching. Looking forward to hearing back from leather surgeons!

I’m sorry about the way fashionphile handled your request; however, i don’t think the issue is a big deal and can easily be fixed. If you are otherwise happy with the price of the bag, it’s specs and condition, it’s a keeper.

Reactions: keodi