What Do You Do To Prevent COVID-19 During Shopping?

rugchomp

Dec 16, 2015
We all heard about social distancing, wearing of masks, and the likes to prevent covid spread. When you go out shopping, what safety measures do you do to make sure you don't get infected? Do you go out at all or just do your shopping online? Does your area have particular rules that people should follow?

I try to go very early in mornings when there is less people in the store. I try to remember to use a shopping cart as a barrier for the six feet distance between myself and the person behind me I stand in front of the shopping cart not where the bar is. I keep my immune system up because I travel daily for my job. Keeping my hands cleaned and keeping my face mask on at all times outside and in common areas at work.

Hi!

(Germany)

We only shop for groceries and hardware (think DIY) in person.

Farmers market: Mask + sanitizer/disinfectant. Keeping distance.

Grocery store: Has a traffic light that limits people in building to 1 for each 10sqm the store has. Store has limited shopping carts available to reflect that, and you get to take a freshly disinfected one. You return the one you used and it gets disinfected. Mask + sanitizer/disinfectant. Keeping distance.

Hardware store: Has a security person who counts and limits people (1 for each 10sqm) inside. They have a bay to disinfect your hands & the shopping cart if you want to. Mask + sanitizer/disinfectant. Keeping distance.

We basically wear a mask from start to finish. We disinfect our hands every now and then while out. Upon returning home, masks get put in a bin by the washing machine. Then washing hands and storing everything we bought. After that, again washing hands. (Cotton) Masks get washed in bulk after each use and ironed. Then put in storage bags.

We're limiting ourselves, with very few exceptions, to "one trip"/week since March now.

We try our best. ;)

Kind regards,
Oliver

Toronto:

Store are open but fairly certain they will close soon. I go at odd times and it's never crowded but SAs tell me it gets very busy on the weekend. Main problem here is people do not understand the purpose of a mask - they use them as chin guards, mouth coverings, take them off when they want to speak, etc.

Reactions: maris.crane
Aside from wearing a mask, I also wear latex gloves depending on where I go.

We go at odd times. Either early or very late. Weekends are very crowded, so I avoid going out all together on weekends. When I can, I will shop online.

Reactions: PurpleRabbit
I generally will shop after I get off of work to minimize how many times I have to go out since I’m already out. I wear a mask and try to distance as much as I can. If I’m only grabbing a item or two I don’t even bother with a cart. If I need a cart I don’t really worry about it as most stores have employees wiping down or spraying down the handles. I either tap payment or use my phone to pay to minimize having to touch cash or the pin pads. When I get home I still wipe down my items when I unpack and my card if I used it for tap pay. Pre covid I never used my phone for payment. If I use a self checkout I use hand sanitizer when I‘m done. I avoid shopping on the weekend but I always did that before covid because I hate going to busy stores. I also use hand sanitizer when I get in my car before I remove my mask.

USA
I have started carrying a few bottles filled with tap water in my car truck. I carry a bar of soap in a plastic baggie and a hand towel. So after shopping and putting items/bags in my trunk I stand there in the parking lot and wash my hands. I can't take the antibacterial gel much more because my hands are so dry. Plus washing for 20 seconds is better. So I stand there with wet hands rolling a bar of soap around in them, outside my trunk, in parking lots. It's 2020. everything goes. :biggrin:

USA
I have started carrying a few bottles filled with tap water in my car truck. I carry a bar of soap in a plastic baggie and a hand towel. So after shopping and putting items/bags in my trunk I stand there in the parking lot and wash my hands. I can't take the antibacterial gel much more because my hands are so dry. Plus washing for 20 seconds is better. So I stand there with wet hands rolling a bar of soap around in them, outside my trunk, in parking lots. It's 2020. everything goes. :biggrin:
That’s a good idea. I know people were doing something similar during the beginning of the pandemic when hand sanitizer was all sold out everywhere. If you get one of those drink dispensers with a spigot it would almost be like running water

• Love
Reactions: RT1
The only thing I buy now is products. Basically, I do what everyone else does, I wear a mask, I keep my distance, I disinfect my hands, I try not to move products if I don't buy them.

Although, I will say that many people do not do this in the store. These people wear a mask under their nose, in line trying to get as close to you as possible. Probably it seems to them that the queue will move faster.

And recently I was shocked by one situation. In the supermarket, the woman started coughing and took off her mask. I shouted at her «What are you doing ?», and she answered me « I'm uncomfortable coughing in a mask». So what to do with such people?
Or they pull the mask down to speak or sneeze. tenor - 2020-08-17T132923.291.gif