Restoring a Vernis French Wallet - Before and After Pics!

Oni_

Jun 4, 2020
Hi guys! Last week my friend/coworker gifted me a vernis French wallet that she had previously tried to dye red (it was originally white). Hahaha as you can see from the before pics, it didn't turn out so well for her. My fiancé has developed a hobby of fixing up my purses and shoes for me, so decided to take on this wallet as a weekend project. He used acetone, black Fiebings leather dye, Fiebings leather sheen (just on the edges though), and Roots leather conditioner. It turned out so well! The vernis is even shinnier than when she gave it to me and the wallet doesn't feel sticky at all. So happy with the end result! :smile:

B8842DF8-4517-43E2-87C5-33D51FAC47C3.JPG

Hi guys! Last week my friend/coworker gifted me a vernis French wallet that she had previously tried to dye red (it was originally white). Hahaha as you can see from the before pics, it didn't turn out so well for her. My fiancé has developed a hobby of fixing up my purses and shoes for me, so decided to take on this wallet as a weekend project. He used acetone, black Fiebings leather dye, Fiebings leather sheen (just on the edges though), and Roots leather conditioner. It turned out so well! The vernis is even shinnier than when she gave it to me and the wallet doesn't feel sticky at all. So happy with the end result! :smile:

View attachment 4901603
Your fiancé has the magic touch! Absolutely beautiful!

That wallet looks amazing. This may sound like an obsessive question, but can you say if the newly dyed wallet smells . . . like dye? (Is the smell strong? Does it dissipate?)

Good question! LOL I just sniffed it and it doesn't really smell like anything. Maybe very faintly of acetone since that's the last product he used on it. But seriously, your question had me literally sticking my nose in my wallet to get anything LOL :P! I will say though, he buffed it with a clean rag for a very long time at the end. So I'm sure that something to do with eliminating any odours.

Good question! LOL I just sniffed it and it doesn't really smell like anything. Maybe very faintly of acetone since that's the last product he used on it. But seriously, your question had me literally sticking my nose in my wallet to get anything LOL :P! I will say though, he buffed it with a clean rag for a very long time at the end. So I'm sure that something to do with eliminating any odours.
Oh, that's funny. And thank you! Right after I saw those photos of your wallet, I spent about an hour on eBay, trying to find a likely candidate for my own experiments. The right vernis piece didn't materialize, but it's just great to have a new quarantine project to look forward to. (Knowing that it won't smell makes me even more determined.). Thanks again!

View attachment 4901603
That's beautiful!

• Love
Reactions: Oni_
Oh, that's funny. And thank you! Right after I saw those photos of your wallet, I spent about an hour on eBay, trying to find a likely candidate for my own experiments. The right vernis piece didn't materialize, but it's just great to have a new quarantine project to look forward to. (Knowing that it won't smell makes me even more determined.). Thanks again!

Yes - perfect quarantine project!! Also don't forget to check online consignment stores. If you're in Canada, I can give you some recommendations for places I've purchased from here. I find the vernis items often cheaper because they seem to get discoloured more easily. I'm keeping my eye out too now for a tote bag. Maybe the Houston.. :smile:.