Thoughts - good vintage LV styles for a casual daily carry?

limoncella

Oct 31, 2020
Hi guys! I'd like to pick up a pre-loved LV bag as a casual daily go-to (whenever I actually leave the house again). I'm been looking at the Boulogne, the Croissant, and the Looping. Would love to know your thoughts on these as a daily carry, and also wondering if there are any other discontinued styles I should be considering? I want something mid-sized (I don't need a TON of space, but I often have to carry glasses AND sunglasses) that I can fit under my arm comfortably (Staying away from cross-bodies or elbow-bags. I love the look of the Artsy so much, but I need something that leaves my hands free. And cross-bodies make my boobs look weird ;)). I like the idea of a top zipper, but it's not a deal breaker.

What do you think? What are your favorite vintage shoulder bag shapes? Anything super annoying to make note of? I've noticed people saying they didn't like the fussiness of the zipper on the Boulogne.

I owned a Boulogne 35 years ago, bought it brand new. It was so roomy, and the zipper was more accessible in the 35 size, but it kept sliding off my shoulder despite the adjustable strap, which is why I sold it. I imagine the size 30 would have a more cumbersome zipper. As for the Croissant, that came in several sizes. It does hold great under the arm but I didn't care much for the dark red alcantara lining. The looping came in 2 sizes and that would probably be more to being held in the hand as well as under the arm. Are you limited to the monogram pattern? There are alot of DE styles that fit your criteria if you are willing to consider this pattern.

I bought a Looping MM a couple of weeks ago. I love it! I thought the strap would come off my shoulder but it doesn't. I currently am carrying a full size wallet, a toiletry pouch 15, six key holder, and key pouch. There's room for more, although this is really all I need.

Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 8.27.43 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-11-01 at 8.27.52 AM.png
I purchased a monogram Wilshire MM this past May and I love it. It is approximately 14" x 10". It has a zipped pocket on one side of the interior, two patch pockets on the other and a D-ring. It is small enough if I am just carrying a few items but large enough to accommodate a laptop, sweater or water bottle and it tucks nicely under my arm. It has a similar function of a Neverfull. And the pre-loved price points are attractive!

I owned a Boulogne 35 years ago, bought it brand new. It was so roomy, and the zipper was more accessible in the 35 size, but it kept sliding off my shoulder despite the adjustable strap, which is why I sold it. I imagine the size 30 would have a more cumbersome zipper. As for the Croissant, that came in several sizes. It does hold great under the arm but I didn't care much for the dark red alcantara lining. The looping came in 2 sizes and that would probably be more to being held in the hand as well as under the arm. Are you limited to the monogram pattern? There are alot of DE styles that fit your criteria if you are willing to consider this pattern.

To be honest, I hadn't considered DE, but I'm not opposed to it. I just generally like how the LV canvas (any style) goes with anything. Hm, my shoulders are pretty narrow. I wonder if I'd dislike the Boulogne strap. I have a Neverfull GM which stays in place just fine, but those straps are tiny, and it's usually so full and heavy that I don't think it could slide if it wanted to!

I love the Petite Noe. I bought a preloved black Epi one in great condition and it is great. Looking for a monogram one next. Holds a ton but also can just take a few things and still look good.
You know, I want to love the Noe because I love champagne and I think it's so fun that it was originally designed to carry a bottle :smile: I'm just wary of the whole drawstring situation. I worry it might not be something I enjoy dealing with, just as a personal quirk.

I bought one of those leather slides from a craft leather, so it works like the drawstring on the Neonoe now. I leave it partway open and can just reach in and grab stuff. The shoulder strap is also very comfortable and am planning on trying it crossbody as well.