Do you consider DKNY a designer brand?

Like it's prices went down and I don't see it being as prominent anymore. Did DKNY lose its status as a designer brand?

If you compare it to the main line, Donna Karan there is a world of difference in design and quality, I am not saying that DKNY has bad quality, but simply not in the league of the black label and tends to use cheaper materials, so I think while still a good label, not really designer and more upper end of the mass market

If you compare it to the main line, Donna Karan there is a world of difference in design and quality, I am not saying that DKNY has bad quality, but simply not in the league of the black label and tends to use cheaper materials, so I think while still a good label, not really designer and more upper end of the mass market

What about other diffusion lines like Polo Ralph Lauren and BOSS Orange? Are they designer?

Calvin Klein is still expensive though even if cheap materials are used.

Some of it is, but not the stuff you get in every department store. Look, if you like DKNY, that's great, you don't need anybody's justification that is a label or not, I often mix high street stuff like Whistles or so with designer, it is not about "designer" or not but what I like and want to wear

Reactions: snibor
Some of it is, but not the stuff you get in every department store. Look, if you like DKNY, that's great, you don't need anybody's justification that is a label or not, I often mix high street stuff like Whistles or so with designer, it is not about "designer" or not but what I like and want to wear
No, I am just curious. People seem to have their own definitions

No, I am just curious. People seem to have their own definitions

Personal preference, a different definition? For me designer tends to be exclusive, a unique design, good quality and not for the mass market (aka department stores). Doesn't mean I won't wear department store, I even wear the odd charity shop find, but as I said, designer has to stand out a bit

Reactions: Antonia and snibor
Personal preference, a different definition? For me designer tends to be exclusive, a unique design, good quality and not for the mass market (aka department stores). Doesn't mean I won't wear department store, I even wear the odd charity shop find, but as I said, designer has to stand out a bit
I see. For me, if it was created by a designer and has a premium price, it's designer, not high end designer, but still designer.

Reactions: ismellsnow
I see. For me, if it was created by a designer and has a premium price, it's designer, not high end designer, but still designer.

DKNY isn't premium price anymore, Donna Karan still is, I don't think she works on the DKNY line but has other people (designers if you want) doing the designs, in that respect, the department store's own brand could be considered designer because somebody has to design any type of clothes

DKNY isn't premium price anymore, Donna Karan still is, I don't think she works on the DKNY line but has other people (designers if you want) doing the designs, in that respect, the department store's own brand could be considered designer because somebody has to design any type of clothes

I know it isn't premium anymore.

But aren't some clothes just mass produced? Like Primark, Walmart clothes? They don't have designers behind them, do they?

I think if it has a well known or prominent designer behind the brand, like Ralph Lauren or Ingo Wiltz, it's definitely designer to me.