scored my dream bag but is this mold?

ML_chanel

Nov 29, 2015
Hi all, I’ve been looking for over a year to replace my blue jersey flap and finally found this perfect medium pink with reissue chain. The listing said small mark on the inside which I was fine with but when the bag arrived, there were several areas of markings. The bag also had a very strong odor which makes me think these marks might actually be mold? Do you think that this is just dirt or do you think the bag actually has mold? Thanks for any input :smile:

D7DD5FF2-B0BB-4D15-8B52-726EE636D4AF.jpeg

832ED766-7D59-4256-96CE-D20D7397275D.jpeg

9EB02A14-F79C-415A-881A-34E500A95839.jpeg

7A59752B-69B8-41A7-91CD-41C70DC233C5.jpeg

B63CB3AC-F478-4E15-A781-9337E298FE2A.jpeg

CC5A66EB-2FF3-4B16-8E33-C0481765B4F9.jpeg

A bag can smell musty/damp without there being mould present (and vice versa).

You are more likely to get mould on the leather parts facing inwards. I suppose it could be coming-through on the back of the leather. I think that's just dust (dirt) that's settled. Even if it is mould it could be a type that just dry out and be brushed away with no further repercussions. Don't wet. Leave it out and very gently try brushing the jersey with the softest, cleanest, brush you can find (it also needs to be un-dyed and a colour no darker than the jersey to be on the safe side).

Reactions: OCMomof3

You are more likely to get mould on the leather parts facing inwards. I suppose it could be coming-through on the back of the leather. I think that's just dust (dirt) that's settled. Even if it is mould it could be a type that just dry out and be brushed away with no further repercussions. Don't wet. Leave it out and very gently try brushing the jersey with the softest, cleanest, brush you can find (it also needs to be un-dyed and a colour no darker than the jersey to be on the safe side).
I am a vintage clothes and vintage pram enthousiast and often have to face old dirt or even mould in fabrics paired with a musty odour. Brushing out like @papertiger said usually works well.
Before even trying to brush out, though I always fumigate the items in question with ozone. The gas kills the spores and bacteria. They simply lose grip and then can be brushed out. Washable items of clothing can be washed then and will come up clean (while if I washed them without the fumigating the old dirt and spores would still hold tight to the fabric and not come out entirely.)
I have my own small ozone machine to do this at home.
You might look out for a car deep cleaning place near you- one of these shops that prepare used cars for resale. They usually have an ozone machine/ chamber.

I am a vintage clothes and vintage pram enthousiast and often have to face old dirt or even mould in fabrics paired with a musty odour. Brushing out like @papertiger said usually works well.
Before even trying to brush out, though I always fumigate the items in question with ozone. The gas kills the spores and bacteria. They simply lose grip and then can be brushed out. Washable items of clothing can be washed then and will come up clean (while if I washed them without the fumigating the old dirt and spores would still hold tight to the fabric and not come out entirely.)
You might look out for a car deep cleaning place near you- one of these shops that prepare used cars for resale. They usually have an ozone machine/ chamber.

Thank you both so much for your insight! I am ok with putting a little work into making the bag pristine but panicked a bit if it was mold and a bit more difficult to mitigate. I will try both suggestions and luckily it is on the inside of the bag and isn't too unsightly :smile:

Oh thanks for that, hubby has bought a vintage guitar with the original case, but the velvet from the lining of the Les Paul has that musty smell, I will tell him to find a resale car shop. We currently have it in the shed, because even in the garage the smell totally triggers my asthma

Reactions: cowgirlsboots
Oh thanks for that, hubby has bought a vintage guitar with the original case, but the velvet from the lining of the Les Paul has that musty smell, I will tell him to find a resale car shop. We currently have it in the shed, because even in the garage the smell totally triggers my asthma
How are you? The guitar case sounds like the perfect item to give a nice ozone therapy! I know how bad this kind of mutsy smell can be. I had more than one old pram come in that I had to remove from the house immediately because I started coughing and feeling bad.
Last week the weather/ humidity changed and one of my prams in the downstairs hall started getting furry under its dust sheet. DH told me to go check as the whole room smelled of camembert.
A couple of hours in the "ozone chamber" (a very small room with my household ozone machine in it) and my pram came back odourless. The white fur that usually sticks to the surfaces with a vengeance could easily be wiped off.

If you regularly buy vintage clothes, bags and (prams) items buying a little machine is a good option. They do wonders to the interior of the car, too. All bacteria and spores will die and you suddenly see a spooky pattern of dirt you never noticed before, but now can easily wipe away. The only problem is that the car as any other items has to be aired afterwards. My machine was around 80€ on amazone and is worth every penny! In case I´ll ever get a walk in wardrobe the machine will move into there!

PS: on your guitar case a vacuum cleaner with an attachment like this would do a good "brushing out" job post ozone. (Tried it on a Shearling coat the other week with amazing results.)

WIN_20201028_12_04_45_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: maxroxxherhandbags
How are you? The guitar case sounds like the perfect item to give a nice ozone therapy! I know how bad this kind of mutsy smell can be. I had more than one old pram come in that I had to remove from the house immediately because I started coughing and feeling bad.
Last week the weather/ humidity changed and one of my prams in the downstairs hall started getting furry under its dust sheet. DH told me to go check as the whole room smelled of camembert.
A couple of hours in the "ozone chamber" (a very small room with my household ozone machine in it) and my pram came back odourless. The white fur that usually sticks to the surfaces with a vengeance could easily be wiped off.

If you regularly buy vintage clothes, bags and (prams) items buying a little machine is a good option. They do wonders to the interior of the car, too. All bacteria and spores will die and you suddenly see a spooky pattern of dirt you never noticed before, but now can easily wipe away. The only problem is that the car as any other items has to be aired afterwards. My machine was around 80€ on amazone and is worth every penny! In case I´ll ever get a walk in wardrobe the machine will move into there!

PS: on your guitar case a vacuum cleaner with an attachment like this would do a good "brushing out" job post ozone. (Tried it on a Shearling coat the other week with amazing results.)

View attachment 4890963

I shall tell him, well, since we are moving to France from the UK, the machine will have to wait, I don't buy a lot of vintage things but DH loves his vintage guitars. I am planning the attic as a walk in wardrobe, same as we did here, so it might be worth a try, I have allergic asthma and mold is a total killer

I shall tell him, well, since we are moving to France from the UK, the machine will have to wait, I don't buy a lot of vintage things but DH loves his vintage guitars. I am planning the attic as a walk in wardrobe, same as we did here, so it might be worth a try, I have allergic asthma and mold is a total killer
Good Luck for moving!
PS: I have allergic asthma, too.

Reactions: Gabs007
Good Luck for moving!
PS: I have allergic asthma, too.

Total bummer isn't it? It usually didn't bother me much but since I got sick with Covid in February, my asthma is totally off the scale, as are all other allergies, even the metal bit of the bra hooks causes red weeping welts on my back, I had felt put under all of them, it makes it a bit better but still, same with any jeans button that contains nickel...

Total bummer isn't it? It usually didn't bother me much but since I got sick with Covid in February, my asthma is totally off the scale, as are all other allergies, even the metal bit of the bra hooks causes red weeping welts on my back, I had felt put under all of them, it makes it a bit better but still, same with any jeans button that contains nickel...
I´m sorry you had Corona and it left you with so many side effects! Usally imy asthma doesn´t bother me much, but a good dose of mold or sometimes somebody wearing the wrong perfume triggers it. I know the nickel button thing, too. Allergies are a nuissance. Hopefully you´ll get much better very soon!

Just curious, would UV light help? I've been seeing all these ads of UV wands for disinfecting surfaces / phones but given current times, some may not be legit.

I once looked at getting an ozone machine . Didn't do too much research but the little that I did do made it sound like they may be unsafe as it leaves the spores in the air. This could've been in the context of air purifying only and not fumigating small items only.

View attachment 4890963

This is great information! Would you mind linking the machine you bought? I'm a vintage collector/reseller myself and this sounds super useful.

Just curious, would UV light help? I've been seeing all these ads of UV wands for disinfecting surfaces / phones but given current times, some may not be legit.

I once looked at getting an ozone machine . Didn't do too much research but the little that I did do made it sound like they may be unsafe as it leaves the spores in the air. This could've been in the context of air purifying only and not fumigating small items only.

Sorry, I don´t know anything about UV light.
A few years ago I bought the ozone machine without much prior research, because somebody who has a substantial vintage car collection recommended it. He of course has a professional machine and swore by the good results it achieved when used in nastily dirty vintage cars.
I simply put my little machine to work and so far haven´t been disappointed.
It´s the best treatment I´ve experienced so far when it comes to fight mold, old undefined dirt on all types of materials and nasty odours. It always requires cleaning up the item by brushing out or washing, wiping off afterwards to remove the residue.

This is great information! Would you mind linking the machine you bought? I'm a vintage collector/reseller myself and this sounds super useful.

Of course. Mine came from Amazone and cost around 80€ when I bought it.

This little one has been providing good service for the last 3 years. I use it in a small windowless room.

Reactions: tulipfield