SA relationship discussion & stock transfer?

Lwy

Sep 20, 2015
I posted this in a thread but no one seems to know yet so I will start a new thread! I am just wondering if SAs in department stores are allowed to get items transferred in from other stores? Or is it easier for boutiques to do so? I am curious about how it works internally. If anyone has any info please feel free to fill me in. I am looking for a particular item so I contacted my SA in Harrods London to see if she can locate it for me (she hasn't replied yet). Ideally, I would like to purchase it in Harrods so I can get the points too :P

Also, do you think Chanel SAs care about your "loyalty"? I have met several SAs but I have always gone back to the first one I met. She sometimes doesn't respond THEN I will contact the others. I've just recently started buying Chanel last year and I would love to build a good relationship with one SA. Do you think they care about that? How's your relationship with your SA?

I’m not sure outside of US, but we have a personal shopper at NM that can, or at least has...
I’m not sure how it works, my sweet DH texted her what he wanted and it appeared a few days later from SAKS.

Reactions: lulilu
I’m not sure outside of US, but we have a personal shopper at NM that can, or at least has...
I’m not sure how it works, my sweet DH texted her what he wanted and it appeared a few days later from SAKS.
I heard from somewhere that the boutiques tend to get more stocks and they know what they will get in advance, so I thought they'd have a better chance of getting stock transferred? (That's just my own thinking lol)

Perhaps, I think our shopper likely has contacts in boutiques as well.
Boutiques should definitely be able to get merch from other boutique locations.

At least in the US, freestanding Chanels can initiate a send sale from other freestanding boutiques, or that's what the 1-800 Chanel phone people have told me. Not sure about one department store to another, like Saks to NM, or Selfridges to Harrods, but in the US, I can request a send sale within the same dept store chain (Saks to Saks).

I think the importance of loyalty boils down to the salesperson, not so much the brand. What I mean by that is I don't think ALL Chanel salespeople, or any brand's salespeople, value individual loyalty. It depends on if the person selling you the item values loyalty or not. I love my LV SA, so I always go to her, and in turn she sends me sneak peeks of items so I can preorder asap. If I happen to see an item I like at a different LV boutique, I just buy it and there's no hard feelings. Ultimately, you and I are consumers. As consumers, we have the right to choose who we buy our products from. If an SA gives us a hard time for it, they're not actually a "good" one imo.

My Chanel SA is helpful and friendly, but I think his boutique could be managed better, so I don't have an interest in remaining loyal. He has been very helpful and accommodating the times I did ask for help, but I think it's more important that your good salesperson comes from a good boutique. It doesn't matter that my salesperson is good when his coworkers ignore that a bag was meant to be set aside for me, and then they sell it to someone else without ever notifying me it arrived.

I thought about this long and hard, since I do value loyalty, but ultimately it's not wrong of us to pick and choose SAs. I waited 3 years for the bag to pop up again. It doesn't matter that I actually liked my Chanel SA when his coworkers don't care. There are plenty of other good Chanel SAs in well-run boutiques, so just go with the one that you feel ticks all the boxes that are important to you.

Last edited:
At least in the US, freestanding Chanels can initiate a send sale from other freestanding boutiques, or that's what the 1-800 Chanel phone people have told me. Not sure about one department store to another, like Saks to NM, or Selfridges to Harrods, but in the US, I can request a send sale within the same dept store chain (Saks to Saks).

I think the importance of loyalty boils down to the salesperson, not so much the brand. What I mean by that is I don't think ALL Chanel salespeople, or any brand's salespeople, value individual loyalty. It depends on if the person selling you the item values loyalty or not. I love my LV SA, so I always go to her, and in turn, she sends me sneak peeks of items so I can preorder asap. If I happen to see an item I like at a different LV boutique, I just buy it and there's no hard feelings. Ultimately, you and I are consumers. As consumers, we have the right to choose who we buy our products from. If an SA gives us a hard time for it, they're not actually a "good" one imo.

My Chanel SA is helpful and friendly, but I think his boutique could be managed better, so I don't have an interest in remaining loyal. He has been very helpful and accommodating the times I did ask for help, but I think it's more important that your good salesperson comes from a good boutique. It doesn't matter that my salesperson is good when his coworkers ignore that a bag was meant to be set aside for me, and then they sell it to someone else without ever notifying me it arrived.

I thought about this long and hard, since I do value loyalty, but ultimately it's not wrong of us to pick and choose SAs. I waited 3 years for the bag to pop up again. It doesn't matter that I actually liked my Chanel SA when his coworkers don't care. There are plenty of other good Chanel SAs in well-run boutiques, so just go with the one that you feel ticks all the boxes that are important to you.
Thanks for your input! I wonder if it works the same here in London. It doesn't sound too difficult to transfer stock in the US. But of course that's down to whether stores are willing to release stock and the availability overall.

Yes you're right. We are the consumers and we certainly have the right to choose who and where we buy from. I had the thought that they might have hard feelings if I go to other stores but I guess I am overthinking lol You also made a good point about a well-managed boutique, it does make so much sense! The SAs I've met in Harrods are hit & miss but those in the Sloane Street boutique were lovely. They seem to have fun conversations with each other which could indicate they're well managed and happy being there. It had a very welcoming and friendly vibe. I guess buying luxury means buying the experience too for most people, myself included, so there's no point to stick with a SA/store if they don't meet my expectations... Thank you for sharing your insights x

I tracked down a bag in the UK (it was in Heathrow terminal 5), then called the store i wanted to collect it from (Manchester) and asked if they could arrange for it to be transferred. It all worked fine, although I did have to call the store a few times to check progress.

My personal experience of Harrods has been poor - although the points are good. I suggest you track down the bag yourself and then call Harrods to ask them to transfer.

Reactions: Lwy
When a collection first drops, they won't transfer between boutiques for an initial period of time, this could last anywhere between 1-2 weeks. This system may apply to department stores as well. From personal experience, if you REALLY want something that just dropped I recommend calling the toll free number to locate the item and directly working with the boutiques\department store showing stock.

As far as Boutique SA loyalty is concerned I think that this relationship will matter if you intend on being able to order special pieces. The boutique may contact you about what you wish to order ahead of sending the "buy" order to the company. This is the only way to receive something that is supposed to be released say for example only in Asia but your boutique can special order for you. In addition, your relationship with a particular boutique / SA will matter to receive the special holiday gift they send at the end of the year, to receive invites to special events including being selected for the shows.

Department store SAs are hit or miss. I find that a few will work hard to locate you items but others are focused on selling what they have in their stock. When you find a great department store SA, try to stick with them as much as possible because there are many out there who won't do the work for you. Also departments stores offer the perks/points which can really add up and are amazing for future purchases but no invites for shows, no special gifts end of year. Also from personal experience I have never been invited by a department store to hand pick my items from the buy list like the boutiques.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: Lwy
I tracked down a bag in the UK (it was in Heathrow terminal 5), then called the store i wanted to collect it from (Manchester) and asked if they could arrange for it to be transferred. It all worked fine, although I did have to call the store a few times to check progress.

My personal experience of Harrods has been poor - although the points are good. I suggest you track down the bag yourself and then call Harrods to ask them to transfer.
It's nice to know that they can transfer a bag for you with just a phone call. Do you know any SAs in the Manchester boutique?

When a collection first drops, they won't transfer between boutiques for an initial period of time, this could last anywhere between 1-2 weeks. This system may apply to department stores as well. From personal experience, if you REALLY want something that just dropped I recommend calling the toll free number to locate the item and directly working with the boutiques\department store showing stock.

As far as Boutique SA loyalty is concerned I think that this relationship will matter if you intend on being able to order special pieces. The boutique may contact you about what you wish to order ahead of sending the "buy" order to the company. This is the only way to receive something that is supposed to be released say for example only in Asia but your boutique can special order for you. In addition, your relationship with a particular boutique / SA will matter to receive the special holiday gift they send at the end of the year, to receive invites to special events including being selected for the shows.

Department store SAs are hit or miss. I find that a few will work hard to locate you items but others are focused on selling what they have in their stock. When you find a great department store SA, try to stick with them as much as possible because there are many out there who won't do the work for you. Also departments stores offer the perks/points which can really add up and are amazing for future purchases but no invites for shows, no special gifts end of year. Also from personal experience I have never been invited by a department store to hand pick my items from the buy list like the boutiques.

Hope this helps!
I don't think there's a general Chanel CS number here in the UK, at least I couldn't find it on their web. So I have been trying my luck by calling all the boutiques near me and none are picking up the phones!

I guess I don't really mind about not getting invites to shows/events. I want to build a relationship with a SA because I don't see myself buying tones of Chanel, but I would like to make my life easier when it comes to tracking down a particular piece lol I sometimes help my friends in Asia to locate items here too.

Do you think department store SAs tend to be more reluctant to locate items because they usually get a lot of tourist customers and people that just come & go? Therefore they will just try to sell whatever they have instead of going the extra mile for customers? Thank you for your input x

Thanks for your input! I wonder if it works the same here in London. It doesn't sound too difficult to transfer stock in the US. But of course that's down to whether stores are willing to release stock and the availability overall.

Yes you're right. We are the consumers and we certainly have the right to choose who and where we buy from. I had the thought that they might have hard feelings if I go to other stores but I guess I am overthinking lol You also made a good point about a well-managed boutique, it does make so much sense! The SAs I've met in Harrods are hit & miss but those in the Sloane Street boutique were lovely. They seem to have fun conversations with each other which could indicate they're well managed and happy being there. It had a very welcoming and friendly vibe. I guess buying luxury means buying the experience too for most people, myself included, so there's no point to stick with a SA/store if they don't meet my expectations... Thank you for sharing your insights x
No problem! I wish you lots of luck in finding the pieces you're interested in. It looks like I'll be waiting another 3-4 years to get the same unicorn piece :annoyed:

Honestly, I don't think being a good salesperson has anything to do with luxury brands, which is why the blunder at my Chanel boutique really gets under my skin. If multiple SAs collectively tell the same customer they will contact them when the bag is ready, I expect them to hold to their word. It's being a genuine and decent human at that point imo.

Do you think department store SAs tend to be more reluctant to locate items because they usually get a lot of tourist customers and people that just come & go? Therefore they will just try to sell whatever they have instead of going the extra mile for customers? Thank you for your input x

Good question. IMO, so much is dependent on the management style of the each Department Store. I have been given as reason that the "management won't allow us to do xyz" (sometimes they say "Chanel" won't allow them this or that". In general I find that some stores are stuck in a 1990's lackluster style of selling to the extent that an SA won't even share a pic of new inventory with you via text. That store wants the customers to come in instead. However the same department store in another location could be vastly different in their management style, and they are ok with sharing pics, finding items in other locations, etc. I currently have an SA who shares pics with me and find items from other locations. So IMO the overall experience depends on the management style of each store and what they "allow" SAs to do or not to do.

It all depends.. here in the US the Neiman’s in San Francisco is managed by Chanel and employees are Chanel employees they are able to get items from other Chanel boutiques... it varies also on where they are getting the stock from... I know that there are certain locations where it must be approved by the manager first... it’s confusing... hopefully we can get more answers. I am curious about this as well!

Reactions: hsiaolin